X support for 30 depth and kde? xfce?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juampii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: X support for 30 depth and kde? xfce? Reply with quote

Hi, i have some doubs about this.

Sorry for my bad english.

When i run nvidia-settings, in the server x-0 you can change the colour depth from 16.7 million colors to 1.1 billion.

A few years back when i buy a dell u3011 i remember reading about his ips-e (i think) panel and the support for 1.1 billion colors.

I understand that displayport connection and dvi dual link also support this.

When i set depth 30 in xorg.conf x starts fine and looks "different", the videos or photos also look different.
Xfce not start under 30 depth setting, kde plasma starts ok and looks different too, but it flickers the screens and cause something like artifacts, or the desktop backround dissapears and when you move a window across the desktop it appears again. Really sorry for the bad english :P

Someone use this setting? or some developer know the state of this? im emerging plasma 9999 to test there, 7 packages left.

have a nice day
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/340.32/README/depth30.html
To sum up : don't enable this until everything handle it.

And if i were you, i would just not use this shitty option (my point of view) :
Quote:
Devices connected via DVI or HDMI, as well as laptop internal panels connected via LVDS, will be dithered to 8 or 6 bits per pixel.

Quote:
When displaying a depth 30 image, the color data may be dithered to lower bit depths, depending on the capabilities of the display device and how it is connected to the GPU.

With this enable your rendering will not be 10bits and you are adding a dithering step in your rendering. Totally sucks, because i assume no nvidia cards was made to handle the dithering step itself and it is done by the driver (so software rendering, kinda a good "howto waste my cpu to render a dirty pic?").
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: