Login box is split on dual monitors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Login box is split on dual monitors Reply with quote

This is a recent new install and after getting my xfce desktop working, I see that my login box is partly on one monitor and partly on the other. I did look in settings and chose one as primary, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. It doesn't keep me from logging in as my user, but it feels strange for it not to be on just one. I'm used to seeing it on the left monitor.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,
Mark
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Last edited by mark2 on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is everything relevant built with xinerama use flag?
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, no, it is not. But, I seem to have run into something else. I try:
Code:
nano -w /etc/portage/make.conf

and I get this:
Code:
Type 'nano -h' for a list of available options.

What is going on with THAT? I've never seen that before. It does it with my user and with su as well.

[edit]Now this is strange. Apparently using "-t" in place of "-w" allows you to edit and save upon exiting. Who knew?[/edit]
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albright wrote:
is everything relevant built with xinerama use flag?

I'm not sure about everything that is relevant. I did re-emerge xorg-server and nvidia-drivers after adding xinerama to my use flags. No change after rebooting. Do I need to rebuild my kernel?
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it was only a guess; I don't use xfce so don't know what
packages it pulls in (I see xscreensaver has a xinerama flag for example).
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know inside xfce, it handles dual screens pretty well, but I haven't manage to get the login manager to handle dual screens properly (currently using slim for login manager).
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
I know inside xfce, it handles dual screens pretty well, but I haven't manage to get the login manager to handle dual screens properly (currently using slim for login manager).

Well, perhaps that is where the problem is coming from. I chose Slim as my login manager based on the Xfce Wiki that I followed through the installation. I will go back and take another look.

I do have the dual screens and they look fine. They both have 1680 x 1050 resolution although one is a 22" and the other a 20". In nvidia-settings they both look like they're the same size. That seems a bit strange to me.

Thanks,
Mark
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been noticing, the monitor sizes in nvidia-settings is drawn based on the monitor's resolution, not it's physical size. For slim, it appears it does NOT use xfce's display settings mostly because from my testings, the display settings in xfce is set/saved per user not system-wide.

From my own research on the web, the only suggestion other people say with slim is modifing the themes when it comes down to dual monitors. Doesn't help there does not seem much documentation on slim's configuration settings, to know if something is in there hidden (or at least that I have seen, been trying a a couple possible settings, but haven't had much luck).

Maybe someone knows a different login manager that works better with dual monitors (I'm always open for suggestions).
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part I'm pretty much ok with, at least until I stumble across an answer. My thing right now is that my login box lies on the split between the two monitors. It doesn't impair the functionality obviously as I can login and things go normally from there. But it is just something I am not used to, and it would be very nice to get it fixed.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my tests, it's partly due to your theme that you are using. Some themes, happen to position the login box differently than others so that it will be fully on one monitor. I'll see if I can't play around, and see if I can't suggest some themes you could try for a partial fix (or at least what I call a partial fix for now) until we figure out a better way (I'm not really wanting to modify themes if I don't have to, so will be default settings in that theme).
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, from some of my testings, here is a list of the themes I've tested that at least have the login box fully on one of my screens (both screens are running 1920x1080).

The ones that work pretty well, is rainbow,lake,gentoo_10_blue,gentoo_10_dark, and parallel-dimensions.
For the most part, only the default gentoo theme does not handle dual screens too well.

If you don't already have the the slim-themes package, it should contain all of the extra themes.

in your /etc/slim.conf change
Code:
current_theme       rainbow,lake,gentoo_10_blue,gentoo_10_dark,parallel-dimensions
to the one you like. Having multiple themes listed, will have slim rotate between them all on each login.

There are more themes available that I have not tested yet from the slim-themes package, which you are welcome to try out yourself.

On a side note, I was reading that lightdm, may have better support for dual screens (but hasn't been verified to be true).
mark2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey, thanks, ct85711! I tried installing the xfce-theme-manager, but it didn't seem to offer the ability I was looking for. Then I saw your last post, and I edited my /etc/slim.conf with the code that you provided and it did the trick. I logged out and it had the login box perfectly located on my main screen. It even had the wallpaper that I used on my last gentoo install, but it went away as soon as I logged in. I'm looking for a way to change the wallpaper on my desktop, but that's minor and I don't expect any trouble in that department.

Again, many thanks for this. I think I will leave this thread open for just a bit longer and see if there other posts that may have any interesting things to offer. As a friend is fond of saying, "I have bigger fish to fry.".

[edit]Ok, found how to easily change wallpaper, so that's another minor yet satisfying step taken. I will still leave the thread open for a while, just in case.[/edit]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: