Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] No firefox hello
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Simon196405
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 42
Location: Utrecht, Holland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] No firefox hello Reply with quote

Firefox hello seems not avable in my build.
Till now I toke the following action:
-Make sure it couldn't be anything stupid I have done
-remove all add ons
-remove .mozilla directory from my home directory.
-restart firefox

Looking at the instructions here:
http://winaero.com/blog/enable-firefox-hello-to-use-webrtc-features/

I don't have loop.throttled in my about:config as described in point 3.
I don't have the hello icon as described in point 5.

I also compiled with USE="gstreamer" and tried again. No difference.

Does anyone have a clue.


Last edited by Simon196405 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2583

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC it's not supported by the esr channel. Are you on ESR?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon196405
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Posts: 42
Location: Utrecht, Holland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerged stable firefox from portage.
I understand the point releases like 38.2.1 is an extended support releases.
Googling a bit I found the reason hello is not in ESR is because the developers expect incompatible changes.
Thank you for your answer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4974
Location: Dark side of the mood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for jumping in. I searched for Hello in Firefox, too and saw it is absent as well. I'm currently running FF 38.2.1, latest stable a couple of weeks ago. I had tried version 40.0.3 but had to revert. Does that mean that we have only a little window to get a version of Firefox that has Hello? I'm asking because there is a pretty large version gap between Mozilla's current and Gentoo stable, which might imply the latest stable version as per Gentoo portage is already ESR, right? (From the ESR chart earlier linked to.)
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
1739!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2583

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
... there is a pretty large version gap between Mozilla's current and Gentoo stable, ...

And the gap is even growing until next ESR version, see https://mozorg.cdn.mozilla.net/media/img/firefox/organizations/release-overview-high-res.7f1fea43e9e2.png
Gontoo does not stabilize the non-ESR versions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4974
Location: Dark side of the mood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@charles17,

Hmm that is bad :-( . Means we may not have Hello without tipping into the unstable branch, then. And given my recent experience/experimentation with that branch (read: random crashes) it feels more like a lottery...

Note that I understand Gentoo developers; at the rate Mozilla releases their browser and given the available of Gentoo resources, such a gap comes to no surprise.
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
1739!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charles17
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Mar 2008
Posts: 2583

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
@charles17,

Hmm that is bad :-( . Means we may not have Hello without tipping into the unstable branch, then.
Maybe some day Hello will hit the ESR release channel. You just need to wait ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Syl20
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 545
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Hmm that is bad :-(

Why ? You say the "unstable" version is... unstable (not really, however. Maybe you just have to set the appropriate USE flags :wink: ). So it is normal that Gentoo maintainers don't declare them as "stable", isn't it ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VinzC
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Posts: 4974
Location: Dark side of the mood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
Hmm that is bad :-(

CneGroumF wrote:
Why ? You say the "unstable" version is... unstable (not really, however. Maybe you just have to set the appropriate USE flags :wink: ). So it is normal that Gentoo maintainers don't declare them as "stable", isn't it ?

It's not my point — every word in my post matters. It's bad because
  • gap between ESR and Gentoo stable is "large" and apparently increasing
  • Mozilla release Firefox version every so often
  • Gentoo developer resources are limited to catch up
  • declared non-stable might be non practicable for just Hello
i.e. all of these points together.

This said I'll try indeed recompiling FF with -system-cairo, thanks for the hint.

EDIT: Indeed not a single crash with >=Firefox-40 and -system-cairo.
_________________
Gentoo addict: tomorrow I quit, I promise!... Just one more emerge...
1739!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum