possible openRC issue: gentoo not starting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vandr0iy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: possible openRC issue: gentoo not starting Reply with quote

Hi, ladies and gentoomen!
I got a following issue: my gentoo is not starting because of an error
Code:

* Filesystems couldn't be fixed
* rc: Aborting!
* fsck: caught SIGTERM, aborting!

It worked perfectly before, here's how I got to this point:
- A couple of months ago my boot order broke, because of multiple efi partitions
- fixed one of those partitions by installing refind and chainloading other OS bootloaders
-
Code:
dd if=/dev/efi_partition_I_just_fixed of=/dev/sda1

- NOTE: sda1 is 128Mb, efi_partition_I_just_fixed is 200Mb
- it just werks.
- fast forward to today, when I thought that it's time to update my kernel (was using 3.19 funtoo debian sources)
- got the latest gentoo kernel sources, configured them by strictly following the guide
- at the point when I should install initramfs everything suddenly craps itself, saying that it's unable to copy the result in /boot
- [ cd /boot && touch arst.txt ] works, [ cp /home/me/arbitrary_file.jpg /boot ] does not
- try fsck, it fails because of my dd "fix" - the partition appears larger than it is, which is not that good in fat filesystems
- fsck it, I'm just gonna recreate it
- backup using simple [ cp /boot/* /backup_location/ ], gparted -> recreate partition, [ cp /backup_location/ /boot/ ]
- fix windows boot using bootrec
- fix /etc/fstab by updating the uuid, which of course changed
- gentoo is not booting up the old kernel anyways, because of the error I wrote above.
- reconfigure grub
- nope, not working
What should I do? Maybe updating initramfs could do the trick?

I got a photo of the error, since I couldn't take a screenshot.
https://my.mixtape.moe/jcaexl.jpg
freke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be funtoo - not gentoo? - so probably belongs in Unsupported software...

Also looks like you have an 'open'-mountpoint (in /etc/fstab, probably) that can't be found? - dunno if that's the cause of the error.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandr0iy,

Your back/restore concept is flawed.

Quote:
Code:
dd if=/dev/efi_partition_I_just_fixed of=/dev/sda1

- NOTE: sda1 is 128Mb, efi_partition_I_just_fixed is 200Mb

The 200Mb source partition will have a File Allocation Table that describes a 200Mb filesystem.
You have no idea what is in the part beyond the 128Mb that fits on the destination partition.

With a bit of luck dd bailed out when it copied and truncated your 200Mb files system to the 128b sda1.
If not it destroyed whatever follows sda1.

Anyway, the filesystem on sda1 no longer fits in the partition allocated to sda1. fsck can't do anything about that.

Your
Code:
- backup using simple [ cp /boot/* /backup_location/ ], gparted -> recreate partition, [ cp /backup_location/ /boot/ ]

compounded your earlier dd error. Anything above 128Mb was already lost, so you can't back it up.

You need to recreate the filesystem and its contents.

A make a new filesystem on sda1 followed by a cp -a may have worked, as it would have copied the files.
You might have got a 'No Space on Device' error.

Its very rarely that dd should be used. Its only ever an option if its inputs aond outputs are identical sizes.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Vandr0iy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vandr0iy,

Your back/restore concept is flawed.

I willingly did dd on a smaller partition, knowing that I'd fuck up - I know how file allocation table[/b][/quote] works... The thing is: I thought of it more like of a temporary solution, and forgot about it.
So, it's not that I'm ignorant about my actions, - I've just been stupid enough to think that such horrible temporary solution would support my machine's boot well enough. :lol:
But let's return to the issue. As I said in my description, I already copied the files I could savage using cp, deleted my corrupted /boot partition, and recreated it correctly using gparted, then restored back the copied files. So, I don't think that there is some issue that could be relative to the disk integrity anymore. Again, quoting myself, - everything works as it did before (including refind and windows boot), except gentoo, which stops its boot process on the step I described in OP.
Anything I could do about that? I thought that the issue could be relative to the initramfs, about the inner functionality of which I have no idea. If the UUID of one of my partitions is changed, do I have to update also the intramfs? If yes, how do I do it on gentoo?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandr0iy,

You don't know what you could salvage. What error does cp return on a truncated file?
You need to recreate all the files.

Your system has found, root, /var, /opt and /home and they are all clean.

Notice the boot message says
Code:
* Checking local filesystems ...
so its processing /etc/fstab.

You have an entry is /etc/fstab than is supposed to be auto mounted that doesn't exist.
Thats your open: No Such file or directory error.
We knom that its not root, /var, /opt op /home.

Its not your initrd - thats done its stuff and been abandoned well before openrc starts.

Either you have a incorrect entry in /etc/fstab or a partition has actually vanished.
It could be more than one error of course. The system is giving up at the first error it can't recover from.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Vandr0iy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Vandr0iy,

You don't know what you could salvage. What error does cp return on a truncated file?
You need to recreate all the files.

Your system has found, root, /var, /opt and /home and they are all clean.

Notice the boot message says
Code:
* Checking local filesystems ...
so its processing /etc/fstab.

You have an entry is /etc/fstab than is supposed to be auto mounted that doesn't exist.
Thats your open: No Such file or directory error.
We knom that its not root, /var, /opt op /home.

Its not your initrd - thats done its stuff and been abandoned well before openrc starts.

Either you have a incorrect entry in /etc/fstab or a partition has actually vanished.
It could be more than one error of course. The system is giving up at the first error it can't recover from.

Sorry for the late reply. You were right, - I actually solved this issue by double-checking my /etc/fstab, and by realizing that I am a complete retard, because the UUID of the /boot partition entered there by hand earlier was incorrect. After putting there the right value, everything started working like it should.
Thank you very much for your help.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandr0iy,

You are too hard on yourself. Its very difficult to spot your own typos.
For UUIDs copy and paste them from the output of blkid.

Thank you for sharing the closure of your issue. It may help others later.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: