Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Dolphin:5 video thumbnails anyone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dasPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Dolphin:5 video thumbnails anyone? Reply with quote

Hi
I cant see video thumbnails. Does someone got video thumbnails in dolphin:5? I just emerged "kde-apps/dolphin-15.08.0" but the thumbnail flag seems to be disabled. And what else would I need?. What I have installed too:

kde-apps/ffmpegthumbs
kde-apps/mplayerthumbs
media-video/ffmpegthumbnailer
media-video/kffmpegthumbnailer

And yes I tried to enable them in dolphin settings but there is simply no option to do so.

Last edited by dasPaul on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is that upstream's 15.08 releases of thumbnailers are still kde4-based, so don't work with dolphin:5.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was using plasma 5 a couple weeks ago I was able to get it going by unmasking the thumbnail flag for dolphin and installing a live (9999) thumbnailer package for :5. However, then this caused some slot related conflicts with some other dependencies (I want to say it was related to some Gwenview dependencies but this is purely from [my sometimes rather bad] memory). If you absolutely need the thumbnails though there is a way to do it.

edit:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/kde.git/tree/kde-apps/dolphin/dolphin-15.08.1.ebuild

Code:

thumbnail? (
      $(add_kdeapps_dep ffmpegthumbs '' 5.9999)
      $(add_kdeapps_dep thumbnailers '' 5.9999)

Shows that you should just have to unmask the thumbnail use flag and will try to pull in live packages. But like I said it will probably conflict with some other kde related dependencies depending on what else you have installed.

Last edited by davidm on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, couldn't have been gwenview which is already kf5-based, most likely creating a libkexiv2 :4 vs. :5 conflict with all kinds of applications that still require the kde4-based version, like okular, digikam, ... which is another reason the flag is masked. Unmasking it (and others) makes use of *meta ebuilds impossible.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Nah, couldn't have been gwenview which is already kf5-based, most likely creating a libkexiv2 :4 vs. :5 conflict with all kinds of applications that still require the kde4-based version, like okular, digikam, ... which is another reason the flag is masked. Unmasking it (and others) makes use of *meta ebuilds impossible.

libkexiv2 sounds familiar. You're probably right. I think okular was the problem for me.
dasPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, after unmasking "thumbnail" and adding kde overlay I got video thumbnails without problems.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll wait for this to come down the 'pike, but good to know it's a-comin'; Thanks for the digging!
alexcortes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I masked dolphin-15.08.0 and still using 4.14.3. Works as usual. I think this way is less complicated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: