View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: New user: How stable is Gentoo? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I chose the right forum for this question. This is an opinion question: How stable is Gentoo as a desktop OS?

I am interested in Gentoo because I want to learn more about Linux. But my mental picture of Gentoo is as a bleeding-edge, not-very-stable distribution where something breaks every month and you have to go fix it. That's not what I want. I don't care about having the latest version of everything. What draws me to Gentoo is the awesome documentation and the opportunity to see how a Linux system is built from the ground up.

So, with that in mind, how would you rate the stability of Gentoo as a desktop OS (with Gnome 3)?

As a related question, am I right to think that Gentoo does not have a "stable" branch like some distros do?

Thank you for the help.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you about Gnome 3 -- I use XFCE -- but Gentoo is as stable as you want it to be. I've been using it as my primary desktop for home and school since 2002.

My main trick is that I only upgrade a package if it's marked insecure, disappears from the tree, or needs to fulfill an updated dependency for something else that has to be upgraded. And then, I usually upgrade to a tried-and-true version that's has a high patch-level version number.

Very rarely a package has a new feature I want to try and I will upgrade to the corresponding version.

I also run conservative compiler flags and minimal USE flags (which enable features).
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has a stable and testing "branch"

stable:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"

unstable:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"

it's as stable as you want it to be - as stable as you make it

even when running mostly testing (or even bleeding edge) packages - it has been the most stable experience of all tested distributions out there (yeah, well - Arch also is quite stable)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome has its issues because it uses systemd, and that is not gentoo specific.

gentoo is stable for myself considering i run unstable ~amd64 for years on the same hardware.
only one rule applies, to not set fancy make.conf settings.
Any linux mint, arch linux installation was screwed in the meantime because the autoupdater ruined the x-server or something else. And i do not bother because they werre my backup OS, just needed to install gentoo on the hardware in the first place and just to compare those popular "newbie / windi 95 newbie" distros in comparision with gentoo. Gentoo does not overwrite config files, but linux mint does in mx expierence, without asking the user. That is also a pain in the ass. No confirmation dialog / no mentioning that grub.config, the bootlaoder was overwritten ... Also teh times the x-server was screwed up was because of the scripts did not handle integrated chipset nvidia graphics / intel graphics / my nvidia gpu (talking about 3 notebooks where these distros failed in about 5 years time span) ...

Well i use linux for quite a while, 20years plus.

compared with windi 95, my box hardly ever had bsod, data corruption, lag, unuseable documents, lost data becaues of random crashes because of some office software.

so i would say that my gentoo configuration is more stable, as fast as windi95, more relyable, when you know what you do.

20 years ago i missed the linux certificatoin by a few percent, so i have a kinda deep knowledge.

when you do stupid things you can screw up any OS.

When i talk about windi95, i talk about windows and any version starting from windows 95 b, upwards, i stopped using it at xp, but i had the pleasure of this curse during my working expierence so i know how windows does not work on system administrators made boxes, who should know a lot more than myself how to set up windi95.

So therefore I would not recommend personally bothering with systemd and gnome3, but you are up to use it, but you may check the recent posts and go back for 30-50 pages and make list about systemd related topics. the mayority of topics cover systemd this or that, it just does not work (and thats my personal opinion)
you asked for it, you get it. gnome 3 may work for the average user. and also some here use gnome3 with eudev / openrc so it is still possible.

And a general hint, when you can expect that something will not work, causes issues, you better do not use it. If you do, you ask for troubles, that means, use stable gentoo sources and stay away from systemd, ...

I also suggest that you start reading this forum, you will learn a lot by reading topics. My hole motivation to answering topics is to deepen my knowledge, though i do write nonsense sometimes ... I am aware of that but I do learn by giving suggestions to others. Some of my answers are totally nuts but sometimes i gave a right glue / hint or the topic poster solved it somehow ....

We also have a rant post about the politics of systemd... as gnome 3 and maybe soon kde (both bloated desctop environments) need that you better start from page 1 and read about it and than decide later.

Gentoo is about choice, up to you what you do.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How stable" is a very abstract phrase. Gentoo attempts to follow upstream as close as possible (as oppose to debian/ubuntu that patch everything like its going out of fashion). So if upstream has a stable package there is a high chance you will be stable...

THAT said... what is in the users control is
1) USE flags
2) CFLAGS
3) VERSIONS

Make bad choices in the above (ie unstable packages, crazy cflags...) you will have issues.
DanielC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
it has a stable and testing "branch"

stable:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"

unstable:

Aha! I did not know that. I will be sure to add this to my make.conf file.

kernelOfTruth wrote:

it's as stable as you want it to be - as stable as you make it

That is good to know. Besides ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, what else should I do to make my system stable?
DanielC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
gnome has its issues because it uses systemd, and that is not gentoo specific.

... So therefore I would not recommend personally bothering with systemd and gnome3, but you are up to use it, but you may check the recent posts and go back for 30-50 pages and make list about systemd related topics. the mayority of topics cover systemd this or that, it just does not work (and thats my personal opinion)

Ok. That is good to know. So I will watch out for issues with Gnome3 + systemd.

tw04l124 wrote:

I also suggest that you start reading this forum, you will learn a lot by reading topics. My hole motivation to answering topics is to deepen my knowledge, though i do write nonsense sometimes ... I am aware of that but I do learn by giving suggestions to others. Some of my answers are totally nuts but sometimes i gave a right glue / hint or the topic poster solved it somehow ....

We also have a rant post about the politics of systemd... as gnome 3 and maybe soon kde (both bloated desctop environments) need that you better start from page 1 and read about it and than decide later.

Gentoo is about choice, up to you what you do.

Thanks for the advice.
DanielC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
"How stable" is a very abstract phrase. Gentoo attempts to follow upstream as close as possible (as oppose to debian/ubuntu that patch everything like its going out of fashion). So if upstream has a stable package there is a high chance you will be stable...

THAT said... what is in the users control is
1) USE flags
2) CFLAGS
3) VERSIONS

Make bad choices in the above (ie unstable packages, crazy cflags...) you will have issues.

Gentoo has amazing documentation. Is there a page that teaches me how to make good choices for USE and VERSIONS? I think I already know what to do with CFLAGS (I have CFLAGS="-march=native -O2"). For USE flags I just have the profile defaults.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS

Quote:
opportunity to see how a Linux system is built from the ground up.

Linux from scratch may be a better choice than, but that is really hardcore than...

gentoo needs as much knowledge as using slackware or arch-linux in my expierence...
You may see a bit how things interact in gentoo.
where linux from scratch you have to build evrything ...

Code:
* app-doc/linuxfromscratch
     Available versions:  7.4 (~)7.7 {htmlsingle pdf}
     Homepage:            http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs
     Description:         LFS documents building a Linux system entirely from source

Quote:
As a related question, am I right to think that Gentoo does not have a "stable" branch like some distros do

No you are wrong, we have stable branch, but we do not have a roling release. It is called something else...

example
https://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-libs/gnutls

as you can see, the green plus, means that is for stable branch,

M~ => hardmasked ...
~ unstable ...

as you can see ~ unstable
the green thing is stable,

well, i suggest you just start installing and than you may parse gentoo wiki / the docs or just ask here when something is not clear.
DanielC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
Quote:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS

Thanks. Page bookmarked. I'll read it after work.

tw04l124 wrote:

Quote:
opportunity to see how a Linux system is built from the ground up.

Linux from scratch may be a better choice than, but that is really hardcore than...

Yeah. I think LFS is a bit too hard-core for me right now (maybe later). I've been looking at CRUX, Arch and Gentoo. I have played around with each (inside a VM) and Gentoo won me over. Gentoo feels more hands-on and I like the documentation better.

tw04l124 wrote:

Quote:
As a related question, am I right to think that Gentoo does not have a "stable" branch like some distros do

No you are wrong, we have stable branch, but we do not have a roling release. It is called something else...

example
https://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-libs/gnutls

as you can see, the green plus, means that is for stable branch,

M~ => hardmasked ...
~ unstable ...

as you can see ~ unstable
the green thing is stable,

Good information. Thanks.

tw04l124 wrote:

well, i suggest you just start installing and than you may parse gentoo wiki / the docs or just ask here when something is not clear.

I am mid-way through the install process (inside a VM). I'm at the stage where you pick a profile and configure USE flags. So far the Gentoo docs have been incredibly clear and thorough. They are very well done.

Cheers,
Daniel.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielCarrera,

Gentoo is a toolkit you uso to build your own distro. Gentoo is only Portage (the package manager) and the ebuild repository.
With the exception of a small muber of packages, everything else is upstream.

As others have said, there is stable and testing keywording. Testing is fairly stable too. Gentoo provides ways to back out the odd package that does't quite work if you plan for it.

There are also 'live builds' that build from the current upstream repository and then thece are a lot of varying quality overlays.
You choose the bits and pieces you want for your distro.

I don't use Gnome any more. Over the last few years Gnome has made some questionable design decisions.

Unlike binary distros, Gentoo does not have releases, you are as up to date as your last
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge -uDNav @world
and the master rsync server is updaled every 30 min.
This means that you never reinstall Gentoo either ... unless you really want to.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
shadywack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My package.accept_keywords contains this
Code:
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources ~amd64
app-emulation/wine ~amd64
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~amd64
app-portage/layman ~amd64
games-util/steam-launcher ~amd64
games-util/steam-meta ~amd64

My system is as solid as granite. Never crashes, ever.
I guess I should clarify. What it means to have that in the package.accept_keywords is that those packages are marked to use the testing versions, or "unstable". The Steam launcher is also in an overlay, which requires the ~amd64 designation in order to merge it in.

Last edited by shadywack on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:

:?:

Both the Stable Branch and the Testing Branch are rolling distributions, though:
Quote:
True-rolling distributions

Truly rolling (versus pseudo-rolling) distribution that is an independent rolling distribution which is not based on a development branch of a 'parent' distribution. Examples are Arch Linux, Exherbo Linux, Gentoo Linux, rPath Linux, Yoper Linux and Sorcerer Linux (along with its forks: Source Mage and Lunar).

Truly rolling distribution that is based on an independent truly rolling 'parent' distribution. Examples are Arch Hurd, ArchBang, KahelOS, Parabola GNU/Linux etc. (based on Arch Linux), Sabayon Linux, Calculate Linux, Funtoo Linux, etc. (based on Gentoo Linux), and Foresight Linux (based on rPath Linux).

(My emphasis.)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
tw04l124 wrote:

:?:

Both the Stable Branch and the Testing Branch are rolling distributions, though:
Quote:
True-rolling distributions

Truly rolling (versus pseudo-rolling) distribution that is an independent rolling distribution which is not based on a development branch of a 'parent' distribution. Examples are Arch Linux, Exherbo Linux, Gentoo Linux, rPath Linux, Yoper Linux and Sorcerer Linux (along with its forks: Source Mage and Lunar).

Truly rolling distribution that is based on an independent truly rolling 'parent' distribution. Examples are Arch Hurd, ArchBang, KahelOS, Parabola GNU/Linux etc. (based on Arch Linux), Sabayon Linux, Calculate Linux, Funtoo Linux, etc. (based on Gentoo Linux), and Foresight Linux (based on rPath Linux).

(My emphasis.)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
Gentoo is more of a metadistribution as there isn't anything to define what the present build can be. It is closer to a rolling release though as updates come in as and when they are deemed ready as oppose to coincide with some arbitrary macro release date
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, here is the truth about Gentoo.

There are three branches. Broken, Totally Broken, FUBAR. Also referred as arch, ~arch and live (9999).

I run Totally Broken, every morning I start my Gentoo box I need to punch it to get started, sometimes I need to hardwire it to a Windows computer to get it kickstarted. It crashes in every five to ten minutes, but I have hardware watchdog which reboots it for me.

Hint about emerge:

Never run plain emerge foo. Run it as emerge -avq foo.

-a - this is for ask, emerge will ask you if you really want to go for this new adventure;
-v - verbose, will describe in more detail what is the next disaster to hit your box;
-q - this is the most important one. Without it you will be addicted watching compiling. I was running emerge without -q and it got so bad my little dogs could read it from my face, when I ran out of compiling they disappeared to save their skin.

Here is the comprehensive guide to be a real Gentooer and here is what you get.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget unroll loops

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few Gentoo boxes with Gnome3 installed, and the Gentoo devs have been doing a good job keeping it working. The default setup works well, though there are a few things to keep in mind when installing it like making sure your locales are set correctly. Most of the problems with Gnome3 and systemd is due to the user not wanting to use systemd, not due to Gentoo itself.

However if you have an ATI graphics adapter and plan to use the closed source fglrx driver, you should steer clear of Gnome3. It, coupled with systemd differences with traditional init system causes significant issues due to fglrx bugs. Why a (closed source) driver makes assumptions with the init system I don't know...
papas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:

Hint about emerge:

Never run plain emerge foo. Run it as emerge -avq foo.

-a - this is for ask, emerge will ask you if you really want to go for this new adventure;
-v - verbose, will describe in more detail what is the next disaster to hit your box;
-q - this is the most important one. Without it you will be addicted watching compiling. I was running emerge without -q and it got so bad my little dogs could read it from my face, when I ran out of compiling they disappeared to save their skin.

Here is the comprehensive guide to be a real Gentooer and here is what you get.

:lol:
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait! There's more!

Look at this thread.

I as a true Gentooer I followed it. Do I have to say I borked my box? Well, indeed I did. As an experienced Gentooer I immediately unplugged all wires from infected box and called bug exterminators. (Since Gentoo has so many bugs I have an annual contract with them.) My quick reaction saved the rest of my household from disaster. FYI, if you do not disconnect your bugged Gentoo box immediately it will infect all electronic devices around. Microwave, cable box, refrigerator, Windows computers, everything will go FUBAR.

You have been warned.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo what others have said in this thread already, Gentoo can be as stable as you would like it to be.

Even running ~amd64 system wide can be extremely stable. The main thing is keeping CFLAGS sane, building a rational system, and using a stable GCC and kernel.

I've been able to keep a Gentoo desktop up for months on end (I got lazy about updating the kernel) without issue. I have a headless server that's been up since the last power outage I had (couple years ago).
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, is the graphite flag for gcc as dangerous as it was years ago or is it sane these days?

The first time i used graphite ages ago my box was heavily screwed up...
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graphite flag for gcc will build your gcc with graphite support. Unless you enable it in your CFLAGS it will do nothing.
mi_unixbird
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
DanielCarrera,

Gentoo is a toolkit you uso to build your own distro. Gentoo is only Portage (the package manager) and the ebuild repository.

Even further than that, you can use other package managers, most notably Palidus if you so choose.

I like the chair analogy myself:

- Ubuntu: A deluxe office chair with every bell and whistle you could possibly need or not need, hard to move around because of this though

- Debian: A nice, practical rock solid comfy office chair, doesn't break a lot.

- Arch: A solid Ikea Chair, you have to put it together yourself but it comes with instructions and you can omit the parts you don't want easily

- Gentoo: A set of power tools with detailed instructions on how to operate them, go build a chair with it.

- LFS: A book on carpentry

- Windows: A bad chair you're tied to in an hostage situation, trying your hardest to Macgyver out of it.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mi_unixbird wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
DanielCarrera,

Even further than that, you can use other package managers, most notably Palidus if you so choose.

I like the chair analogy myself:

- Ubuntu: A deluxe office chair with every bell and whistle you could possibly need or not need, hard to move around because of this though

- Debian: A nice, practical rock solid comfy office chair, doesn't break a lot.

- Arch: A solid Ikea Chair, you have to put it together yourself but it comes with instructions and you can omit the parts you don't want easily

- Gentoo: A set of power tools with detailed instructions on how to operate them, go build a chair with it.

- LFS: A book on carpentry

- Windows: A bad chair you're tied to in an hostage situation, trying your hardest to Macgyver out of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Though I'd change your description of Ubuntu for Linux Mint.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
unstable:

This is redundant though, you don't need to specify the stable keyword when running unstable, as it covers packages in both categories.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: