Set "ForceFontDPI" globally such that it applies to SDDM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Set "ForceFontDPI" globally such that it applies t Reply with quote

Hello,

I have upgrade to Plasma Desktop (KDE5). For high resolution desktop there is the option "Force Font DPI" in the KCM font control panel. It works nicely, if the corresponding user is logged in. How do I set the same option globally such that also the login screen (SDDM) respects this option if no user is logged in?

The per-user config file is .kde/share/config/kcmfonts and looks like

Code:

[General]
dontChangeAASettings=true
forceFontDPI=120

I found this page https://kenno.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/kde4-system-wide-force-font-dpi-setting/ that gives the right file location for the global setting in case of Kubuntu. Of course, this directory does not exist on Gentoo. I tried to copy the file into /usr/share/config but it has no effect.

Any ideas where the global setting is configured?
nagmat84
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out how to do it myself. First thing to note is that SDDM does not depend on Plasma and hence setting a global option via /usr/share/config/kcmfonts does not apply to SDDM. The lock screen while a user is logged in honours this option, because the lock screen is a totally different application than SDDM though it looks identically. Actually the lock screen is ksmserver and it just happens that both SDDM and ksmserver uses the same QML theme.

Anyway, one can set the DPI through a global Xresources and then this setting applies as a default to any X application as long as the option is not overwritten by a desktop environment.

/etc/X11/xinit/Xresources:
Code:

! Comments start with '!'
Xft.dpi: 120
Xft.antialias:  true
Xft.rgba:       rgb
Xft.hinting:    true
Xft.hintstyle:  hintslight
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: