Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
epiphany
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
imesg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: epiphany Reply with quote

I would like to get away from firefox so I try epiphany. My question: is this just a rudimentary browser not good for much? Or are there ways to do things that are not intuitively obvious like how to save videos or how to manage bookmarks including importing bookmarks from firefox? If there are ways to do things how would I find out how? There seems to be a dirth of documentation.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 3806
Location: Austro Bavaria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a list of current webbrowsers in linux

Code:
ls -al /usr/portage/www-client/


Common choices are opera, google-chrome, firefox, ...

seamonkey / iceweasel are kinda rebranded firefox

than there are some hybrid browsers like, which are file-managers and webbrowsers also.

Code:
* kde-apps/konqueror
     Available versions:  (4) 4.14.3(4/4.14)^t (~)15.08.0(4/15.08)^t
       {aqua +bookmarks debug +handbook svg}
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/applications/internet/konqueror/ https://konqueror.org/
     Description:         KDE: Web browser and file manager


I prefer webbrowsers with plugins. Flashblocker, javascript blocker, adblockers, those basic webbrowsers do not offer such feature at all.

As webbrowsers are like politics or religion the general advise is to try out those which are listed in above list ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imesg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
For a list of current webbrowsers in linux


Code:
ls -al /usr/portage/www-client/


Thanks. Should have said 'Any advice about epiphany appreciated'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 3806
Location: Austro Bavaria

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys use some webservices to save the links. So you than have those in teh cloud and not in your browser...

I hardly need that feature these days...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 6108
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a

youtube-viewer and youtube-dl package in the portage tree

to be somewhat independent of the browser


Importing bookmarks:

no idea, but there's the possibility to export both as .json or html file

so you have more options to import them with alternative browsers


Regarding epiphany and other browsers:

I don't like how fonts are displayed in those other webkit(-gtk) based browsers (qupzilla, epiphany, midori, etc.)

thus I'm staying with chromium + firefox,

also there has been the instability (e.g. crashing in gmail, while viewing videos, etc. etc.)

so it's useless (at least for me) for daily usage


hope that helps
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD/tree/ZFS-for-SysRescCD-4.9.0
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
franzf
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 4403

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use epiphany for some weeks now, mainly to test if webkit-gtk is stable enough to build a custom browser around it. It is usable. What I miss in epiphany is a downoad manager: I did not find a way to view the most recent downloads. I have to go to the downloads directory and sort by recently changed...
There is no chance to undo a "close tab by accident" and no "recently viewed" menu, like in other browsers.
The adblock did not work in the first place. I do not know what I did, but finally it started to block. Was not able to make it work on another PC, even with the same config/application files... And the adblocker still has issues, e.g. when there is an ad that covers the whole background (spiegel.de has those sometimes) it happens that epiphany just never loads the website. Pressing F5 several times resolves the issue :/

You can import bookmarks, also from firefox. Press CTRL+B (Or use "edit bookmarks" from the main menu) and do File->import bookmarks - and have fun with the "user friendliness" of the interface ;)

But yeah, it feels quite rudimentary. It for sure is usable. If it's about getting away from firefox you also might want to have a look at midori. I built it with USE="webkit2" as I have webkit-gtk-2.8.5 installed and refuse to install (and update...) a second webkit-gtk on this low-power machine. That might be the reason why adblock also doesn't work in midori. All in all midori looks way better concerning features. It even has addons that can be enabled/disabled There is a permanent "Bookmarks" button in the toolbar (if you like it). Really looks like a usable browser.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imesg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
I use epiphany for some weeks now, mainly to test if webkit-gtk is stable enough to build a custom browser around it. It is usable. What I miss in epiphany is a downoad manager: I did not find a way to view the most recent downloads. I have to go to the downloads directory and sort by recently changed...
There is no chance to undo a "close tab by accident" and no "recently viewed" menu, like in other browsers.
The adblock did not work in the first place. I do not know what I did, but finally it started to block. Was not able to make it work on another PC, even with the same config/application files... And the adblocker still has issues, e.g. when there is an ad that covers the whole background (spiegel.de has those sometimes) it happens that epiphany just never loads the website. Pressing F5 several times resolves the issue :/

You can import bookmarks, also from firefox. Press CTRL+B (Or use "edit bookmarks" from the main menu) and do File->import bookmarks - and have fun with the "user friendliness" of the interface ;)

But yeah, it feels quite rudimentary. It for sure is usable. If it's about getting away from firefox you also might want to have a look at midori. I built it with USE="webkit2" as I have webkit-gtk-2.8.5 installed and refuse to install (and update...) a second webkit-gtk on this low-power machine. That might be the reason why adblock also doesn't work in midori. All in all midori looks way better concerning features. It even has addons that can be enabled/disabled There is a permanent "Bookmarks" button in the toolbar (if you like it). Really looks like a usable browser.


Thanks franzf. Have you actually found a manual for epiphany? Yes download manager needed. Also reliable adblock. Among many other things.

There is no 'edit bookmarks' in main menu. There is however one when pressing 'CTRL+B'. I like to click rather than press 'CTRL+B' etc. Cant't understand a browser that seemingly doesn't do much. I like simple but this is so simple as to be crippled.

Thanks again,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
franzf
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Posts: 4403

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great GNOME unified (re)design of Epiphany resulted in two menus ;) One on the left side of the window title bar (with an epiphany icon) and the other one on the right (with the "hamburger" icon). "edit bookmarks" is in the right menu, though the same dialog opens also with "left menu -> bookmarks" ;) Yes! Not really much functionality, but we offer it in two menus... But as a test browser it works just well. And as I said if you are happy with midori just try/use that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imesg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
The great GNOME unified (re)design of Epiphany resulted in two menus ;) One on the left side of the window title bar (with an epiphany icon) and the other one on the right (with the "hamburger" icon). "edit bookmarks" is in the right menu, though the same dialog opens also with "left menu -> bookmarks" ;) Yes! Not really much functionality, but we offer it in two menus... But as a test browser it works just well. And as I said if you are happy with midori just try/use that.


I don't have the 'epiphany icon' on the left side. The 'hamburger' menu I have. There is no 'edit bookmarks' there. Maybe there is some way to get these.

The ctrl+b works though. Not very intuitive.

Without a download manager and a bookmarks manager which is easy to access by menu then this browser is not ready.

Thanks franzl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imesg
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="imesg"]
franzf wrote:
The great GNOME unified (re)design of Epiphany resulted in two menus ;) One on the left side of the window title bar (with an epiphany icon) and the other one on the right (with the "hamburger" icon). "edit bookmarks" is in the right menu, though the same dialog opens also with "left menu -> bookmarks" ;) Yes! Not really much functionality, but we offer it in two menus... But as a test browser it works just well. And as I said if you are happy with midori just try/use that.


I don't have the 'epiphany icon' on the left side. The 'hamburger' menu I have. There is no 'edit bookmarks' there. Maybe there is some way to get these.

The ctrl+b works though. Not very intuitive.

Can't seem to change the search engine either.

Without a download manager and a bookmarks manager which is easy to access by menu then this browser is not ready.

Thanks franzl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum