Installing Plasma 5 in a fresh system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherif8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Installing Plasma 5 in a fresh system Reply with quote

I'm going to try installing Gentoo & I don't want to use old KDE. I watched a video about installing old KDE.
After selecting plasma profile & installing packages, how do I install KDE 5 applications?

Edit: Should I use SDDM instead of KDM? http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/display_managers_finale says that it's old.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by KDE5, do you want to exclusively build kf5-based kde-applications 15.08 or all of it (including non-ported kde4-based 15.08 apps)?

sddm is the login manager of choice for plasma-5, kdm is unfit afaik. If you use systemd install sddm as-is, if you use openrc unmask sddm-0.11.0-r2 and consolekit-1.0.0.
sherif8
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
What do you mean by KDE5, do you want to exclusively build kf5-based kde-applications 15.08 or all of it (including non-ported kde4-based 15.08 apps)?

sddm is the login manager of choice for plasma-5, kdm is unfit afaik. If you use systemd install sddm as-is, if you use openrc unmask sddm-0.11.0-r2 and consolekit-1.0.0.

Sorry, I meant Plasma 5.
I meant KDE applications 15.08.
What is "unmask"? Sorry, I'm a beginner and I han't yet installed Gentoo for the first time.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do you use openrc as the init system (you do, if you haven't actively migrated to systemd)? In that case you need to add an entry to /etc/portage/package.unmask, a little wiki reading is recommended: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Unmasking_a_package

I don't usually recommend masked packages to beginners, but in this case it just works better than the currently provided version.
hurvajs77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, you can follow official Gentoo KDE 5 Upgrade too. I replicated this how to moretimes on fresh system.

Unfortunatelly "KDE5" has more bugs and it's "hybrid" - something is from KDE47, something it's KF...
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Plasma 5 in a fresh system Reply with quote

In addition to above post as per docs. It depends if you use open-rc or systemd. I use open-rc so for me the first step was to install LightDM before installing plasma desktop. Worked like this perfectly :)
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurvajs77 wrote:
of course, you can follow official Gentoo KDE 5 Upgrade too. I replicated this how to moretimes on fresh system.

Unfortunatelly "KDE5" has more bugs and it's "hybrid" - something is from KDE47, something it's KF...

"KDE 5" cannot be a hybrid of anything, because it is a concept that no longer exists. Frameworks, Plasma, and Applications are now distinct concepts and should be treated as such.
hurvajs77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kensington wrote:
"KDE 5" cannot be a hybrid of anything, because it is a concept that no longer exists. Frameworks, Plasma, and Applications are now distinct concepts and should be treated as such.
of course, I wrote about actual state of KDE. There are more applications which still not ported to Frameworks / Plasma / Apps
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE5: roccateventhandler -> segmentation fault.
KDE4: roccateventhandler -> works as usually.

KDE5 is not ready.
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
KDE5: roccateventhandler -> segmentation fault.
KDE4: roccateventhandler -> works as usually.

KDE5 is not ready.

I don't see how some unrelated application segfaulting is the fault of KDE.
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a fact.
I installed fresh Plasma5+KF5+KDE-Apps+SDDM: roccateventhandler -> segmentation fault.
Then installed LXQT, logined with SDDM: roccateventhandler -> works as usual.

I think the problem is in PlasmaShell.
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please provide a backtrace - perhaps it will provide some insight into what bug roccateventhandler has.
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unmerged Plasma5 and SDDM and merged kde+kdm.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:

I can't say that I blame you. To be honest if I just wanted a stable fully functional desktop I would do the same thing and stay with kde4 still. Some of the recent regressions are very frustrating but to be fair they aren't usually the fault of the Gentoo KDE team but rather upstream or even in other projects such as nouveau.

One thing that I think would really help the Gentoo user experience with Plasma would be to support the 'current_major_version-1' of Plasma and Frameworks in the tree so that when there is a severe regression users hit they can easily go back should they want. This would also help with considerably with testing for regressions. But I realize with the way packages are being shuffled around right now in KDE that would present some challenges including increased workload on developers.
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Perfect Gentleman wrote:

I can't say that I blame you. To be honest if I just wanted a stable fully functional desktop I would do the same thing and stay with kde4 still. Some of the recent regressions are very frustrating but to be fair they aren't usually the fault of the Gentoo KDE team but rather upstream or even in other projects such as nouveau.

One thing that I think would really help the Gentoo user experience with Plasma would be to support the 'current_major_version-1' of Plasma and Frameworks in the tree so that when there is a severe regression users hit they can easily go back should they want. This would also help with considerably with testing for regressions. But I realize with the way packages are being shuffled around right now in KDE that would present some challenges including increased workload on developers.

On my end my plasma desktop works extremely well. In my Gentoo plasma installation I haven't seen a single "bug report" error message that I saw plasma DE's issued in other distributions (knock on wood ;)). Maybe I just got lucky.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victorsk wrote:

On my end my plasma desktop works extremely well. In my Gentoo plasma installation I haven't seen a single "bug report" error message that I saw plasma DE's issued in other distributions (knock on wood ;)). Maybe I just got lucky.

I think my biggest issue is hardware specific with an older Nvidia GPU. It's pretty nasty (bug report) and eventually causes plasma UI freezes up to 5 minutes when using the menus or when tooltips are triggered. I've just been finding ways to work around it but at the moment it is so bad that I now have to use konsole to launch apps as nothing else works. I can just restart plasmashell to get to work again though for some time.

Regarding the memory leak regression I'm not sure if I just hit a corner case with a certain plasmoid. If it was a widespread regression I would have expected a lot more recent noise on the bug report as I'd think many would notice plasmashell using 2.4GB.

I'm very happy to hear it's working great now for some users. I hope we can all get these bugs fixed so it works great for everyone. I've been trying to do everything I can to help short of coding since I'm not at a level to be able to do that yet (little programming experience mostly from college and zero knowledge of the code base) but it appears things aren't so easy to fix. This weekend I'll see what I can do to narrow down the leak in plasmashell for me by trying to trace it. I seriously doubt I am the only one affected.

edit: actually I gave it further thought and I think I'm just going to downgrade to :4 myself. I'll give it another shot when those reports are marked RESOLVED FIXED or when Plasma 5.5 or Plasma 5.6 is released, whichever comes first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: