Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]after world update, can't get into gnome 3.16.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papandreoos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]after world update, can't get into gnome 3.16. Reply with quote

EDIT: in journalctl -r i can see a red line which says:
Unrecoverable failure in required component gnome-shell.desktop
before this line i have warning:
WARNING: App 'gnome-shell.desktop' respawning too quickly

original message:

this is the error picture:
http://cjoint.com/14ju/DGEkWDVJs1d_img_20140730_103327.jpg

i think the problen is not in X server because after i press there enter(log out button), i get into lightdm login screen, and there i can change to LXDE and then i can login without a problem to LXDE desktop.

the content of /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log is:
Code:
(lightdm-gtk-greeter:2654): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_shell_parse_argv: assertion 'command_line != NULL' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:2654): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkMisc:xpad is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:2654): WARNING **: Failed to load user image: Failed to open file '/home/gentooist/.face': No such file or directory

the content of Xorg.0.log:
http://pastebin.com/y6cRyWYQ

i don't know what else to paste here.
please tell me if you want other files.

Last edited by papandreoos on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything interesting in one of
Code:
journalctl -r _SYSTEMD_UNIT=session-1.scope
journalctl -r /usr/bin/gnome-session
journalctl -r /usr/bin/gnome-shell

hopefully?
I've used the -r option here for reverse order of logs, so newest is at the top, to find a relevant line easier at the top, when the login just failed
papandreoos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
Anything interesting in one of
Code:
journalctl -r _SYSTEMD_UNIT=session-1.scope
journalctl -r /usr/bin/gnome-session
journalctl -r /usr/bin/gnome-shell

hopefully?
I've used the -r option here for reverse order of logs, so newest is at the top, to find a relevant line easier at the top, when the login just failed

journalctl -r _SYSTEMD_UNIT=session-1.scope :
http://pastebin.com/6TRrJnrN

journalctl -r /usr/bin/gnome-session:
http://pastebin.com/QsEBLrhm

in journalctl -r /usr/bin/gnome-shell i do not see any error.
just normal "GNOME Shell started..." lines after every reboot.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sep 02 10:38:28 Mamadoosh gnome-session[2315]: /usr/bin/gnome-shell: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libreadline.so.6: undefined symbol: UP

Your paste is cut, but looks like you have done some sort of readline or similar upgrade breaking ABI and not ended up rebuilding some users of readline yet?
Edit: Or actually, after a couple more seconds of thought, it seems more like readline is the thing that needs to be rebuilt after some of its dependencies broke ABI?
Edit2: Oh and it's probably cut because you manually copy-pasted it from terminal, while journalctl pager doesn't wrap by default, but goes invisible on the side, needing manual right arrow scrolling to see it - piping it into head -n100 or something would solve that, but the issue is seen good enough with it cut too
papandreoos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
Sep 02 10:38:28 Mamadoosh gnome-session[2315]: /usr/bin/gnome-shell: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libreadline.so.6: undefined symbol: UP

Your paste is cut, but looks like you have done some sort of readline or similar upgrade breaking ABI and not ended up rebuilding some users of readline yet?
Edit: Or actually, after a couple more seconds of thought, it seems more like readline is the thing that needs to be rebuilt after some of its dependencies broke ABI?
Edit2: Oh and it's probably cut because you manually copy-pasted it from terminal, while journalctl pager doesn't wrap by default, but goes invisible on the side, needing manual right arrow scrolling to see it - piping it into head -n100 or something would solve that, but the issue is seen good enough with it cut too

thanks.
i'll remerge readline and update here if anything changed.
papandreoos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:

thank you very very much.
after i re merged readline and rebooted, i now have a working gnome again :-)
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge should have noticed this and suggesting rebuilds too, did it not?
papandreoos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
Emerge should have noticed this and suggesting rebuilds too, did it not?

if you ask if now, before your solution, emerge suggested to rebuild something, the answer is no.

i had problems updating world couple of days ago(i could not merge ncurses) and then i started to remove things and update again(i also added ncurses to testing branch), and eventually i managed to upgrade all the world without an error but then gnome wasn't started.
in this process maybe :-) i did something wrong which cause this.
i remember that after i got error updating world, i started revdep-rebuild and it started merging some packages, but eventually stoped with an error (don't remember what was the package with the error).
then i started updating world again and it succeeded, but after that, i got the gnome problem.
so as you see i also help my system to broke it self a little :-).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: