Couple of questions on Plasma DE [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Couple of questions on Plasma DE [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've installed plasma DE and have a couple of questions.

1) Konsole: I cannot seem to make it appear in the start menu. I've installed the "Konsole" app but it's not showing there. It goes without saying that it is probably *the* most important tool for the DE but I cannot use it. I am temporarily using 'qtterminal' but I must use Konsole because it allows better background transparency.

2) Suspend when closing laptop lid. I've installed 'pm-utils' but I cannot see the "suspend" option when closing lid action. Could somebody please advise what package I should install so that suspend would work when laptop lid is closed? As I understand there is a specific power utility for laptap but I cannot remember it's name.

Thank you kindly,
Victor.

Last edited by victorsk on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version +use flags of Konsole?

Init system, login manager?
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konsole problem: Since friday, konsole:4 does not install a binary if the use flag "minimal" ist set. If this is the case: Remove the "minimal" use flag or unmask and install konsole:5.

See here: kde-apps/konsole-4.14.3 doesn't install a binary
victorsk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
Konsole problem: Since friday, konsole:4 does not install a binary if the use flag "minimal" ist set. If this is the case: Remove the "minimal" use flag or unmask and install konsole:5.

See here: kde-apps/konsole-4.14.3 doesn't install a binary

Thank you! konsole:5 worked. Got suspend working also - recompiled kernel 4.1.6 with Power management options with suspend and (my personal touch) preemption feature. My Gentoo system runs wickedly fast 8)

One of main reasons I prefer Gentoo over other distributions is because of its straightforward way of compiling kernel (other distributions have weird approaches to this). Since kernel forms the basis of Linux, compiling kernel in Gentoo is most efficient. I hope the method for compiling kernel in Gentoo will never change.

Thanks,
Victor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: