KDE fails to boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melkren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: KDE fails to boot Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new to linux and I decided to throw myself in at the deep end and try out Gentoo. Been using it for about a week but I restarted this morning and now KDE won't boot. When I type "startx" I get a little window popup that says :

Quote:
Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). check your installation

So I had a look in /tmp and it's empty. I then looked in the /root/.kde4 folder and when I list what's in there it's showing the below flashing red.

Quote:
socket-melkren-linux

and

Quote:
tmp-melkren-linux

I'm guessing this means that the symlink is going nowhere and I assume it should be going to a file in the /tmp directory. Any ideas on this?

Many thanks.
Melkren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just an update. I typed in

Quote:
kde4--config --patch exe --locate lnusertemp

this came up with an error

Quote:
error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So it looks like for some reason I've lost this library file and it's unable to look for lnusertemp to execute it. Any ideas how to get this library back?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip:

Do not run X as root. Just don't. Do not use your computer as root, even if you are using it from CLI. You are greatly limiting the number of people who are willing to reply to your help request. There probably are a few members who are eager to answer just anything, but it will take some time until they see your post.

And do not reply to your own post, posts with replies will not show up as unanswered.
Melkren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. Pretty sure I'm not running X as root, I installed it so it auto boots. Re-installing now but would be nice to know what may have caused it. I take it from your mention of not doing things as root you have an idea?
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I did some quick research and it looks like it could be quite a few different things. Is it possible for you to check the logs (syslog, journal, dmesg, .xsession-errors,etc) to see if there is more information about what is going on? It might help considerably in getting it fixed.

Oh. It looks like you are just re-installing. I'm not sure but in some cases the error seems to be permission related not only with the /tmp dir but also with home and the .kde related directories. So if you've been doing anything weird with those you might want to hold off for a while or document the changes in case you must reverse them.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melkren wrote:
Pretty sure I'm not running X as root

why the following, then?
Melkren wrote:
I then looked in the /root/.kde4 folder

Melkren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed x it wouldn't let me install it as a regular user. Thought I had to be root. Like I said, first time linux user, what's the correct way of installing this?

Just checked the handbook and it says to be root when installing so guess that's not where that folder came from. Should .kde4 not be in root?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You install things as root, but that's entirely decoupled from using it. ;)

If there is a .kde4 folder in /root/ then it was created at runtime when you started kde as root (or ran a kde application with elevated rights).
Melkren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it's the way I've worded what I'd done. Everything I put after the error message was what I'd looked at to find the problem. I wasn't saying that I had done those things prior to it dying.

ahhh I think the first time I booted X it autologged me in as root. I restarted after that and logged in as my user since then.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melkren wrote:
When I installed x it wouldn't let me install it as a regular user. Thought I had to be root. Like I said, first time linux user, what's the correct way of installing this?

Just checked the handbook and it says to be root when installing so guess that's not where that folder came from. Should .kde4 not be in root?

Basically the simple answer is when you use 'emerge' or 'eselect' you usually need to be root. As you actually use your Gentoo install generally you want to stay as a normal user though. You can either use 'sudo' or 'su' from the terminal to execute a command as root or open a root shell respectively. So when you login to X or KDE you should login as a normal user. Logging as root often just leads to trouble and in fact some from upstream (the people who write the programs) are in fact working to actively make it harder or impossible to say log in to your DE as root.

So let's say you want to to do a world update to your Gentoo.

1. (For KDE Plasma with sddm) log in as a normal user.
2. Up up a terminal (say konsole)
3. Get the $ prompt (which indicates you are a normal user)
4. execute 'su -' (this will then make you root)
5. You now get a # prompt indicating you are root.
6. type your update command say 'emerge -uavDN --with-bdeps=y world'
7. when done type 'exit' and you will return to the $ prompt (indicating you are a normal user).
8. Anything you type now with the $ prompt will be done as a normal user. Also since you logged in to KDE as a normal user then everything is done as such unless prompted or you use a special utility.

Last edited by davidm on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melkren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks david, makes sense. I was installing a few packages the morning that it broke so was logged into the terminal as root rather than elevating my user account so maybe something went wrong there. Well breaking things is the best way to learn anyway!
ch64
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right way to fix this error is, to delete the ~/.Xauthority file of the user who wants to login.
Or by simply moving the .kde(4) folder to a .kde_backup or something and making a new empty directory.
Then it logings. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: