Sun Blade 100 and Kernel 4.0.5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsusanka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Sun Blade 100 and Kernel 4.0.5 Reply with quote

Hello I have a sun blade 100 at work that I basically just use as a file server and was wanting to install the latest gentoo on it.
The live cd works great on it and I am able to compile and install a kernel on the box.

When it goes to boot the kernel image in silo the cursor just spins slow and eventually if I let it go long enough it will error out with the mmu fast error message.

the kernel is 4.0.5 and I just want to get a basic install of linux on it so I can just use it as a jump server and file server so I can ssh to other boxes that I administer.

I have tried numerous items but I have a feeling I am not configure silo correctly and the initrd. I have gotten gentoo installed on x86 boxes so I know I can do it but this box has just gotten the best of me.

I am just looking for suggestions or tips I could try to get this box to boot. It is a basic sun blade with 2 gig of memory and two 20 gig disks. I installed debian on it so I know Linux can work on it but I really want to switch to gentoo.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then consult the gentoo handbook and the gentoo wiki.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.

just chroot from debian. and try to reuse the kernel settings form debian / there must be some sort of offical kernel config file => check if config.gz or what it is called exists in /proc in your running debian...

If you need diskspace, e.g. gparted livecd / liveusb can squeeze down your partition assuming you used something which is supported.

and, try to figure out whihc kernel modules are in use . it seems build in kernel modules are not shown as loaded and thats kinda tricky than.

building a kernel is rather tricky but there were pages out there where you could enter lspci output and get a list of suggested kernel settings, do not ask me where it is, i used that page 3 years ago.

Personally I would changeroot from a running distribution. i usually install a noobish distro like linux mint and chroot from that, when mint does not work than i use suse, arch linux or wahtever just suits my taste.

and remember 64 bit distro => chroot => 64 bit
but i doubt you can chroot from 32bit distro into 64 bit ... just in case ...

You may consider using lvm and adding that debian partition after installing to the phyisical extents of lvm and change your partition layout ...
jsusanka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply guys/gals.

gee I guess I have to reread the handbook a few more times since I don't know what I am doing and I never read it in the first place.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Sparc, as its a IIe.

This page may be useful

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
lariano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a question, when booting your system, do you see the initial silo message of type

Code:
SILO Version X.Y.Z

It must come first. If not, silo is misconfigured.

If you have a misconfigured kernel I would propose to do the following steps:

* If the kernel of the livecd works fine, just build this kernel. The .config file is availiable under /proc/config.gz on the livecd. Emerge the proper kernel sources. The livecd of 20141201 uses a 3.14.14 kernel
* Try to add both the gz-kernel image and in a separate section the uncompressed kernel image to silo.conf . Try both. For me recently the uncompressed kernel image did not work.
* If you can reproduce the kernel from the livecd you can step by step remove unused drivers from the kernel configuration to get a smaller kernel.
* Then - if you really want a 4.X kernel - you can do a kernel upgrade (e.g. use `make oldconfig')

Then this kernel should boot fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: