Simple video cutting software
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Simple video cutting software Reply with quote

Is there or is there not simple video cutting software for Linux?
The task: 4 GB raw video needs to be cut, unnecessary parts out and remaining parts joined. No recoding. I tried Openshot, it can cut alright, but I couldn't figure out how to save the file without recoding.
All hints are welcome.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple video cutting software Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeiREo0pcvE
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Not exactly what I was looking for. There are several ways to cut a piece out of a video, even dd can do it. I'd like to cut several pieces at once and save the remaining parts into a file.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidemux?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can select a piece in Avidemux and save it into a separate file. After repeating this 20-30 times I will have all those pieces and then I have append them to each other to achieve my goal. Too much hassle. Considering I need to edit several files this way.
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly remove commercials from my recordings with avidemux. It's as easy as select - delete. Did I understand your question wrong?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Never realized I can do it in Avidemux.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Avidemux is what came to my mind as the first thing as well, and I believe it was worth mentioning.

I don't remember how well it would handle the “joining” part though, especially without re-encoding. There must be some reason for me to not really use it for a long time... What I have mostly been using, is just plain FFmpeg. While that is probably even more hassle than Avidemux to some, I'll show a quick example of what I oft do with it.

Something along the lines of:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input_file_1.mp4 -ss 7 -to 9 -c copy output_file_1.mp4
ffmpeg -i input_file_2.mp4 -ss 7 -to 9 -c copy output_file_2.mp4

Then I have in a file (let's name it cancot) something like this:

Code:
file '/path/to/output_file_1.mp4'
file '/path/to/output_file_2.mp4'

To join the clips, I do:

Code:
ffmpeg -f concat -i "cancot" -c copy blubb.mp4

I didn't test any of that, basically writing from memory, but it shouldn't be too far off (I'll proof-read it after a nap or few). It won't always be perfect, and it might be better to just go for re-encoding as lossless as wanted.

I have been meaning to write a more or less simple program in Bash to do all this with less effort, providing ease of use for when dealing with several clips as well, but alas, I've not yet even started...

Apologies that I don't have a better(?) idea, but I figured this is at least worth mentioning.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Knight / # eix openshot
* media-video/openshot
     Available versions:  (~)1.4.3 {+ffmpeg libav +python PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"}
     Homepage:            http://www.openshotvideo.com
     Description:         Free, open-source, non-linear video editor to create and edit videos and movies

No idea if its simple.

No idea if its based on avidemux or not, but both afaik used QT ... i may be wrong..
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I have been meaning to write a more or less simple program in Bash to do all this with less effort, providing ease of use for when dealing with several clips as well, but alas, I've not yet even started...

Interesting; definitely easy enough to script, but the tricky part is getting the timestamps for the part you wish to chop out.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Interesting; definitely easy enough to script, but the tricky part is getting the timestamps for the part you wish to chop out.

I guess I imagined handling that part as some sort of extra options (or arguments even) passed to the final command if used. Perhaps it wouldn't be as simple as I thought at first, without having to set some values in a file (or the script itself)...
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about media-video/cinelerra ?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

Chiitoo wrote:
I guess I imagined handling that part as some sort of extra options (or arguments even) passed to the final command if used. Perhaps it wouldn't be as simple as I thought at first, without having to set some values in a file (or the script itself)...

Well that's why people use a GUI ;) It's a bit like desktop-publishing: you really need a graphical display to manipulate the medium.

But it's definitely a good idea to separate the edit-list generator, from the process running tools to actually effect the edits, and both from the control process.

MVC I guess, where the video files are the data, and the model part comes and goes in processing terms.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple video cutting software Reply with quote

Buffoon wrote:
The task: 4 GB raw video needs to be cut, unnecessary parts out and remaining parts joined. No recoding. I tried Openshot, it can cut alright, but I couldn't figure out how to save the file without recoding.
All hints are welcome.

well I do not know if the data format in question is designed that you can easily chop out data and readd it wherever you want it.
Afaik that only works with text-files and wave files.

Are you worried that you loose quality with recoding or is it just that you do not want to use the cpu cycles for recoding because you see it as unnecessary waste of cpu cycles.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to cut an merge video using command line, have a look at mencoder. Nice tool that came with mplayer legacy (has been abandoned in mplayer2, no idea if they reimplemented this part). You can even use mplayer with -vo caca to watch your video in your text terminal (Ascii converted), but it's not going to be convenient when used alone.
paulusbrand
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try blender. I found it to be easer than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSGIPmQdV6M
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: