Slow performance in CS:GO with ati-drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pRivat1337
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Slow performance in CS:GO with ati-drivers Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
Just switched from arch to gentoo and Installed amd-catalyst 15.7.
In arch I used to get alot more FPS (with this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-csgo-workaround).
now I did this also in gentoo, but there is no performance gain, and the fps stays low.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really had installed Arch?
pRivat1337
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
Do you really had installed Arch?

Yes. Why does it even matter?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree.
But arch linux is like linux mint. hardly any knowledge needed. I have had both for quite a while as backup / secondary OS. Hardly any kernel to configure / create. Hardly any config files to create. Just use the package manager and thats it. Takes 2 hours for arch linux from scratch when you never dealt with it. Linux mint can be used in less than 20 minutes when you never dealt with mint. Considering you have used a computer since Windows 95 and know what MSDOS is.

Well to answer your question: You should apply the same changes here.
as the kernel / userspace is identical I assume you do not have configured your box right and than we are on the question from the previous guy, if you really have used arch linux.

your question implies that you do not have direct rendering working and / or misconfigured your box. You may check gentoo wiki and read the articles regarding your gpu / kernel and such .. first.

---

And do not get the impression, just because you run gentoo you get a ricer box which is x-times faster. Those binary distros, especially arch linux are kinda optimized for standard hardware and when you want to have the same performance here you need to configure your box correctly and read a lot. When you want performance gain you need to set the box up in a fashion whihc needs a lot of knowledge, patience and try and error.

I did not read this particular phronix article as I do not have AMD hardware in any of my boxes for some reasons.
And those phronix benchmarks which I read in the past, lets say 2 years back or older should have been taken with a bit of a blink of an eye. I read about file system performance in particular. I would not trust any statements of this phronix site. the file system benchmarks were all fishy.

to get back to your fps issue.

your hardware needs to be balanced. regarding thermal management. bios settings. how the components work together. clock timings and other stuff.
than you can overclock gpus with custom bios / cpu can be overclocked too, than which ram you use and such.

same in linux.
it starts with the kernel and userspace.

considering you use the binary ati-drivers you should have nearly the same performance as in arch-linux or any other distro.

and to go back to the hardware. not every gpu is such awesome, even some lower desctop cards have the same performance as the next model. so you have to chose wisely which components to use to get the best fps for your money.

--

Just with teh basics:

Code:
roman@Knight ~ $ glxinfo |grep Yes
direct rendering: Yes

When it says no, you do not have configured your box correct.
nvidia has a configuration menu where you see, free memory, temps, which frequency / dram settings are used. did you checked those for your card? for nvidia cards its called nvidia-settings for example.

did you set your cpu to performance?
cpupower -g performance

A bit of a warning / advise. Gentoo is about choice. It is not about speed. thats irrelevant and naerly 0 compard to others. you may get 2-3 percent but that depends if you really know what you are doing.

You can also extract the arch-linux config and build the kernel here or even use arch linux kernel in gentoo. up to you

--
and please specify what a lot more fps means.

a lot of money could be for a boy 2 us dollary
for myself 200 us dollars
for someone else a million dollar.

Did you test with really the same settings route? fps tests which are really serious test with teh same settings / same route in games and such. thats not easy....
pRivat1337
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
agree.
But arch linux is like linux mint. hardly any knowledge needed. I have had both for quite a while as backup / secondary OS. Hardly any kernel to configure / create. Hardly any config files to create. Just use the package manager and thats it. Takes 2 hours for arch linux from scratch when you never dealt with it. Linux mint can be used in less than 20 minutes when you never dealt with mint. Considering you have used a computer since Windows 95 and know what MSDOS is.

Well to answer your question: You should apply the same changes here.
as the kernel / userspace is identical I assume you do not have configured your box right and than we are on the question from the previous guy, if you really have used arch linux.

your question implies that you do not have direct rendering working and / or misconfigured your box. You may check gentoo wiki and read the articles regarding your gpu / kernel and such .. first.

---

And do not get the impression, just because you run gentoo you get a ricer box which is x-times faster. Those binary distros, especially arch linux are kinda optimized for standard hardware and when you want to have the same performance here you need to configure your box correctly and read a lot. When you want performance gain you need to set the box up in a fashion whihc needs a lot of knowledge, patience and try and error.

I did not read this particular phronix article as I do not have AMD hardware in any of my boxes for some reasons.
And those phronix benchmarks which I read in the past, lets say 2 years back or older should have been taken with a bit of a blink of an eye. I read about file system performance in particular. I would not trust any statements of this phronix site. the file system benchmarks were all fishy.

to get back to your fps issue.

your hardware needs to be balanced. regarding thermal management. bios settings. how the components work together. clock timings and other stuff.
than you can overclock gpus with custom bios / cpu can be overclocked too, than which ram you use and such.

same in linux.
it starts with the kernel and userspace.

considering you use the binary ati-drivers you should have nearly the same performance as in arch-linux or any other distro.

and to go back to the hardware. not every gpu is such awesome, even some lower desctop cards have the same performance as the next model. so you have to chose wisely which components to use to get the best fps for your money.

--

Just with teh basics:

Code:
roman@Knight ~ $ glxinfo |grep Yes
direct rendering: Yes

When it says no, you do not have configured your box correct.
nvidia has a configuration menu where you see, free memory, temps, which frequency / dram settings are used. did you checked those for your card? for nvidia cards its called nvidia-settings for example.

did you set your cpu to performance?
cpupower -g performance

A bit of a warning / advise. Gentoo is about choice. It is not about speed. thats irrelevant and naerly 0 compard to others. you may get 2-3 percent but that depends if you really know what you are doing.

You can also extract the arch-linux config and build the kernel here or even use arch linux kernel in gentoo. up to you

--
and please specify what a lot more fps means.

a lot of money could be for a boy 2 us dollary
for myself 200 us dollars
for someone else a million dollar.

Did you test with really the same settings route? fps tests which are really serious test with teh same settings / same route in games and such. thats not easy....

glxinfo | grep Yes prints me:
direct rendering: Yes.
I did configured the kernel exactly as the wiki said, and my cpu governor is performance.

and by more fps I should have been more specific.
It seems that when doing whats written in this phoronix article, a application profile in the amd driver activates, and then I get better fps.
In gentoo, this application profile just seem to doesnt work. I am getting the same fps that I got in arch linux before I did this trick.
before: 70~120 fps with drops
after: 150+ fps without drops.

And thank you for the detailed answer :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: