[SOLVED] Crash during Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggmethos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Crash during Install Reply with quote

Using the System Rescue Boot CD and my system crashes on updating the emerge packages.

My entire computer powers down and reboots while emerging glibc. I have a Haswell i7 and I'm using the Haswell stage 3 tarball.

I'm not sure how I can post a log of this because the system isn't installed yet and this is happening while chrooted into the system.

This is the content of my /etc/portage/make.conf

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core-avx2 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"

I tried to use a higher MAKEOPTS initially and thought that setting it to a lower number would help with the crashing but it did not.

here is my cpu info:

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 8
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 4
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 60
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Stepping: 3
CPU MHz: 1844.375
CPU max MHz: 4600.0000
CPU min MHz: 800.0000
BogoMIPS: 8000.04
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 8192K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-7

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by ggmethos on Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one good bit of news is the logs shouldn't be needed here. Bad news is this looks like a hardware problem.

This type of problem is usually an overheat or other hardware fault. I'd start by making sure the airflow around the box is good. If this is a laptop books can help with the airflow. Clean out the box if you can (mind the warranty if applicable.)

Next on the list is an actual hardware fault. Running memtest will take some time but help either confirm this or make it less likely. Another OS running only works if you stress

Next, really turn down the MAKEOPS to -j1.

glibc shouldn't need to be updated until the system is self sustaining, but it won't hurt.

Quote:
I'm using the Haswell stage 3 tarball.
This is odd. As far as I know, the amd64 tarball is the only official one for the architecture. Are you using one from a different source? That is just playing with fire if you are.

Doing an emerge -e @world right after your first boot is the generally accepted method of optimizing all your packages if you are really obsessed about it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ggmethos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
The one good bit of news is the logs shouldn't be needed here. Bad news is this looks like a hardware problem.

This type of problem is usually an overheat or other hardware fault. I'd start by making sure the airflow around the box is good. If this is a laptop books can help with the airflow. Clean out the box if you can (mind the warranty if applicable.)

Next on the list is an actual hardware fault. Running memtest will take some time but help either confirm this or make it less likely. Another OS running only works if you stress

Next, really turn down the MAKEOPS to -j1.

glibc shouldn't need to be updated until the system is self sustaining, but it won't hurt.

Quote:
I'm using the Haswell stage 3 tarball.
This is odd. As far as I know, the amd64 tarball is the only official one for the architecture. Are you using one from a different source? That is just playing with fire if you are.

Doing an emerge -e @world right after your first boot is the generally accepted method of optimizing all your packages if you are really obsessed about it.

Thank you Doctor.

The problem is with overheating. One of my desktop's fans isn't turning on. I've fixed the problem. Thank you.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help and that was all it was.

If you get a chance, please edit your original post to add [SOLVED] to the title.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: