upgrade of xorg-server-1.17.1 to .2 "bricks" a ThinkPad
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: upgrade of xorg-server-1.17.1 to .2 "bricks" a Thi Reply with quote

The system hang and just the magic sysrq-key work here at a hardened amd64 Gentoo with 4.0.8 kernel and i915 for a T400s.
With vanilla kernel 4.2-rc7 I get a segfault in glibc when I try to run "startx" - but the linux kernel didn't hang

A downgrade of just xorg-server itself doesn't repaired my system.
I had to recompile few more packages beside the x11-drivers (mesa-10.6.3, drm2.*.62) and to plug-off and plug-in the battery to get a working KDE 4.14.3 back.

B/c I couldn't belief this I just upgraded the xorg-server package again - and got the same picture. And just downgrading the xorg-server package didn't helped - system hangs after startx (rebooted the system, halted it, plug-off the battery)

Because I can't correlate this with just x11 package versions - are there by any chance bits in the CPU/GPU "poisoned" by a 1.17.2 so that even a downgrade won't give a working system back ?

FWIW: I'm downgrading the whole desktop back to stable in moment.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade of xorg-server-1.17.1 to .2 "bricks" a Reply with quote

toralf wrote:

Because I can't correlate this with just x11 package versions - are there by any chance bits in the CPU/GPU "poisoned" by a 1.17.2 so that even a downgrade won't give a working system back ?

At least this looks logic, and you can easy test it, while downgrading xorg (and check it still fail) go downgrade x11-drivers then and see if it works ; next step would be bugzilla.
If your not unlucky, other i915 users will complain very soon.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhm - I'm now at stable xorg-server - works fine so far.
Currently I'm not in the mood to make more tests especially as long as the following issue isn't solved (still present in 4.1 and 4.2): https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/8/4/378
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: