Gnome Automount not working?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uudruid74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Gnome Automount not working? Reply with quote

OK, I was a stupid idiot and let a Windoze disk touch my hardware :( It formatted the windows partition like it said it would, and then deleted all my other partitions and gave me back free space. Everything gone. Anyway, new re-install of Linux. FYI, this is a laptop and I'm bandwidth limited so I can't spend all my time downloading source and compiling ... thus, I soiled myself and used Sabayon so I could have a binary install without completely giving up on Gentoo and portage (its still there), and I'm ignoring the fact that evil systemd is there and likely the cause of this problem. I'm seeking help here because I Gentoo people are "deeper" in the core of the OS. I'm not likely to find a good amount of intelligent help from a userbase that never leaves point-n-click.

Everything is pretty much the way it was before. I always run Sabayon on this laptop. However, when I insert an SD Card I get a little tone saying it was inserted, but nothing shows up in nautlius (or the Places menu). I'm in the 'disk' group. If I do gvfs-mount -d /dev/mmcblk0p1 then everything pops right up. Why is it not running this upon media insertion?

Likewise, connecting my phone does not connect via MTP (worked before), and inserting a DVD doesn't give me anything either, so whats broken that it won't automount?

So ... whats broken?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably miss an udev rule for automounting. Or general said a rule for auto mounting ... you could check your desctop environment and than udev ...

as udev / systemd changes that on every few releases you may look that up yourself please.

Code:
* sys-apps/pmount
     Available versions:  0.9.99_alpha-r3 (~)0.9.99_alpha-r5 {crypt}
     Homepage:            http://pmount.alioth.debian.org/
     Description:         Policy based mounter that gives the ability to mount removable devices as a user

In the past this also was useful ...
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
you probably miss an udev rule for automounting. Or general said a rule for auto mounting ... you could check your desctop environment and than udev ...

as udev / systemd changes that on every few releases you may look that up yourself please.

Code:
* sys-apps/pmount
     Available versions:  0.9.99_alpha-r3 (~)0.9.99_alpha-r5 {crypt}
     Homepage:            http://pmount.alioth.debian.org/
     Description:         Policy based mounter that gives the ability to mount removable devices as a user

In the past this also was useful ...

About 95% irrelevant.

So, lets see...

We need to find the point of failure in the communication.
Let's start in the middle.

Start 'udisksctl monitor' in one terminal, then insert the card, check if it got mounted (and I don't mean if you got notified, but if it's among mounted filesystems), if not, run 'udisksctl mount' for the card in another terminal, check the result and the output in the monitor.
uudruid74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerging pmount didn't help. However, there are no rules in /etc/udev concerning mountable disks, even after emerging that. There is only network info.

udisksctl monitor shows all the expected information when I insert the card (I even get the sound effect). It does not mount the device. udisksctl mount mounts it correctly without problems, and it shows up on the desktop. Its the "glue" between these two that is missing.
Hieronymus Bosch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -a uam

Modify group file : nano /etc/group, add your username in plugdev option

/etc/init.d/udev restart

For the sd card issue, verify your kernel configuration
uudruid74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hieronymus Bosch wrote:
emerge -a uam

Modify group file : nano /etc/group, add your username in plugdev option

/etc/init.d/udev restart

For the sd card issue, verify your kernel configuration

Not sure if uam did anything, but I see some possible mounts in nautilus (may or may nothave been there before) and they mount when clicked. These appear when the media is inserted, but I'm used to having this list in "Places" and automatically mounted on insert. My phone doesn't show up, either. I was hoping once the DVD and SD Card showed up, that the MTP issue would be fixed along with it.

systemd won't restart udev that way. You use
Code:
udevadm control --reload

Any ideas?

Thanks!
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've already noted, both pmount *and* uam are irrelevant here.

Given that udisksctl works, udev end is working correctly too.

Is gnome-extra/polkit-gnome installed ?
I suspect 'pkaction -av org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount' still returns the defaults (given that 'udisksctl mount' worked) but post anyway.
Is 'udisks' set on gnome-base/gvfs ? ...actually, post the whole set of useflags on it
uudruid74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
Is gnome-extra/polkit-gnome installed ?

Yes

VoidMage wrote:
I suspect 'pkaction -av org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount' still returns the defaults (given that 'udisksctl mount' worked) but post anyway.

Here is output:
Code:
# pkaction -av org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount
org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount:
  description:       Mount a filesystem
  vendor:            The udisks Project
  vendor_url:        http://udisks.freedesktop.org/
  icon:              drive-removable-media
  implicit any:      auth_admin
  implicit inactive: auth_admin
  implicit active:   yes

VoidMage wrote:
Is 'udisks' set on gnome-base/gvfs ? ...actually, post the whole set of useflags on it

looks right to me
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udisks-2.1.6:2::gentoo  USE="cryptsetup gptfdisk introspection systemd -debug (-selinux)" 0 KiB

I'm afraid I don't know much about udisks, policykit or systemd. How do I know if udisks is "set" on gvfs? I don't know the command to give that information.

I really DO appreciate your help! Thank you.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asssume he asks you for this

Code:
emerge -pv gvfs

And I assuem he wants to see if you have those use flags set on gvfs: udev udisks
uudruid74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
I asssume he asks you for this

Code:
emerge -pv gvfs

And I assuem he wants to see if you have those use flags set on gvfs: udev udisks

Ah ... I thought he wanted use flags on udisks!

Code:
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.24.1::gentoo  USE="archive bluray cdda fuse gphoto2 gtk http ios samba systemd udev udisks zeroconf -afp -gnome-online-accounts -libsecret -mtp -nfs {-test}"

Interesting that its set to gphoto2 and not mtp. If I swap those (I have mtp for fuse installed) will it use fuse for mtp? Right now nautilus opens a gphoto2: URL that is useless from the command line and I've been using the desktop for mtp. Of course, thats not related to the issue that it doesn't automount like it used to, but I figure it was worth asking before I waste time trying it.
uudruid74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, but this issue is now closed and solved.

Apparently, something in gnome's config got hosed. Doesn't make sense because I started from a bare drive, but I created a new user and logged in and it all worked. So I destroyed most of gnome's config files and then logged back in as my regular user. Viola! Drive Icons, auto-mounting, and even my MTP.

In fact, I kind of wish the MTP was still broken. Every time my screen wakes up I get a new notification about my phone connecting. Oh well.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may disable the mtp feature of your phone. maybe you can write a rule for mtp in your gnome...

funny on my nexus 4 i kinda broke mtp feature at all with the developer options. I tried to enable it a few days ago but did not achieve it. android debug bridge works flawless. mtp who cares...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: