evdev driver problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: evdev driver problems Reply with quote

Holy f**k, my transition to evdev has been (is still ongoing!) brutal. And documentation is sparse at best.

After successfully installing the driver, and setting xorg.conf accordingly:
Code:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
   Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
   Option "XkbModel" "logicink"
   Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse"
   Driver "evdev"
   Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
EndSection

Two main problems persist. The simpler one being the mouse. Arrgh. As has been mentioned in previous posts here, buttons 2 and 3 are swapped. However, xmodmaping them back in order doesn't work!
Code:

xmodmap -e "pointer = `echo {1..32}`"

Although xmodmap -pp shows the physical buttons match the button codes, xev shows they are still swapped! (they are). Why isn't X listening to xmodmap?

And, the problem I orignally set out to tackle was the extra "multimedia" keys on my keyboard. Now with evdev, I get keycodes for all the keys, with keycodes ranging from about 10 to 180. However, using xmodmap, I can only seem to define keycodes between 8-136. Those keys that produce keycodes above 136 show no keysym in xev, and if i try to xmodmap them, i get bad keycode value (out of range). Also, many multimedia keys with low keycodes conflict with my regular keys (like my number keys 1,2,3,4,etc).

Arrgh. What a mess.

Also, setxkbmap us seg faults,
Code:

$ setxkbmap us
Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
Segmentation fault

I think this was usually caused by an incomplete xorg.conf. But i'm not sure what is causing it in this case. Why isn't _XKB_RULES_NAMES being set? Maybe during my migration to modular X, the paths to xkb symbols, etc, broke? Or some other migration issue? Or maybe evdev is broken.

Please help.
dennisn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: evdev driver problems Reply with quote

dennisn wrote:

Also, setxkbmap us seg faults,
Code:

$ setxkbmap us
Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property
Use defaults: rules - 'xorg' model - 'pc101' layout - 'us'
Segmentation fault

I think this was usually caused by an incomplete xorg.conf. But i'm not sure what is causing it in this case. Why isn't _XKB_RULES_NAMES being set? Maybe during my migration to modular X, the paths to xkb symbols, etc, broke? Or some other migration issue? Or maybe evdev is broken.

I don't think it is a migration issue. I do think it is an evdev (or my config) problem. setxkbmap works just fine when the InputDevice Driver is "kbd".
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem has been filed several times on these forums.

It's clearly a problem when using Xorg7.0. I'm also waiting for this bug to get fixed.
Aysen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: evdev driver problems Reply with quote

dennisn wrote:
Two main problems persist. The simpler one being the mouse. Arrgh. As has been mentioned in previous posts here, buttons 2 and 3 are swapped. However, xmodmaping them back in order doesn't work!
Code:

xmodmap -e "pointer = `echo {1..32}`"

Although xmodmap -pp shows the physical buttons match the button codes, xev shows they are still swapped! (they are). Why isn't X listening to xmodmap?
xmodmap doesn't work in a way you think it does. When you write "pointer = `echo {1..32}`", you just map mouse's physical buttons 1..32 to X.org's buttons 1..32, so you don't change anything. What you want is "pointer = 1 3 2 `echo {4..32}`". If your mouse has thumb buttons for back and forward actions, you probably want "pointer = 1 3 2 4 5 8 9 6 7 `echo {10..32}`" (provided that they normally produce 8 and 9 button codes).

As for multimedia keys, it's still unsolved, but many people (me too) have this problem and we're working on it! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: