View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spekulatius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: RADEON HOWTO (FGLRX) Reply with quote

RADEON HOWTO (FGLRX)

.:overview:.

after fiddling around with my a7n8x and a new radeon 9600pro i had some troubles getting agp and with that dri/glx running. i just thought to write a howto about that because i seems as if the original sticky radeon howto has grown very large and is not capable any more to show up any direction in which a newby should go.

some might have noticed that you do it can two ways. the first one is to use the radeon drivers coming with xfree86 by compiling xfree86-dri and selecting "radeon" as driver in the device-section of XF86Config.

the second method is the one i prefer and will show up here. i use (although they are closed-source) the drivers from ati which are avaible through the portage tree, package ati-drivers. this is the best driver in my opinion. to people who care for the name and feel remembered to some fire-gl drivers should be said that this is only some kind of naming. if you have a fire-gl installed, the fglrx will select cad and other dcc features while when using desktop/gaming cards the driver will select speedups for this purpose. no one will end up with a unoptimized driver for his gaming or dcc purposes. further i will write down what's needed to be done when switching from a nvidia based card.

at the moment i do not want to show a completely bright and shiny setup with tv-out and all the other things one might want to do with his or her new radeon based card. maybe this gets described later. what i want here is to show a simple and fast working setup, which is reliably and a good base for further configurations like tv-out and things.

i do not want any discussion about which driver modell is better or not in here. this is intended as a thread to describe the use of fglrx and not to persuade somebody to use a different approach. imagine yourself in the more or less helpless situation were you want to install some new hardware which does not work at first. it is more than logical that you will go to ask someone for a solution or try to find some documents which discribe a solution to your problem. if you are not common to setting up hardware or you are new to gentoo or linux in general, you will not be able to distinguish wether a description fits to the one or the other method. most people i see here mix up a lot of things which cannot work together. therefore they need a clean guideline which i hope to give here. the ugliest thing that can happen to a thread moderator is to fiddle around and getting loose of previous configurations which interfere with the overall aim. so please keep away with your comments if your not from the fglrx-party. thanks in advance - it is sad that such things are needed to be written down although they seem to be common sense.

.:steps needed:.

.:1:. unmerging nvidia drivers and removing the nvidia module from the init process
.:2:. recompiling your kernel sources
.:3:. emerging ati-drivers
.:4:. inserting the ati module into the init process
.:5:. setting up a new device section in XF86Config
.:6:. startx and verification
.:7:. resolution and conclusion

section 1 can be safely ignored if you never had a nvidia-based graphics card or if you are setting up a fresh system. everything described here should be executed as root, so become root and continue.

.:1:. unmerging nvidia drivers and removing the nvidia module from the init process
Code:

/ # emerge --unmerge nvidia-kernel
/ # emerge --unmerge nvidia-glx

most likely you had your nvidia module loaded in /etc/modules.autoload. we should remove it from there. check if you have something in here like agpgart or agp.... remove those lines, too, we will compile agp support into the kernel and not as a module.

.:2:. recompiling your kernel sources

you need to assure that some very important kernel options are set. just fire up your kernel configuration tool from your downloaded kernel sources by doing:
Code:

/ # cd /usr/src/linux
/ # make menuconfig

then go through the menu and in processor type and features select:
Code:

[*] MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support

further you need to have agp support, if you want that reliably with a nforce2 chipset and an ati based card you need at least a kernel version >= 2.4.22. this is important, because we later will get agp 3.0 support on certain boards. i would not advice to use 2.6.x kernels at the momen, although some might have pretty well working systems with that version. another important thing is to not select any dri options in the kernel. because we are using fglrx dri is included in the closed-source module you create when setting up ati-drivers. now lets have a look into the character devices section. in case you have a nforce2 based board you can use the shown configuration, otherwise adjust the agp driver apropriate to your system. notice that direct rendering manager is disabled.
Code:

<*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)                                                                                                           
[ ] Intel 440LX/BX/GX and I815/I820/I830M/I830MP/I840/I845/I850/I860 support                                                             
[ ] Intel I810/I815/I830M (on-board) support                                                                                             
[ ]   VIA chipset support                                                                                                                   
[ ]   AMD Irongate, 761, and 762 support                                                                                                 
[ ]   AMD 8151 support                                                                                                                   
[ ]   Generic SiS support                                                                                                               
[ ]   ALI chipset support                                                                                                               
[ ]   Serverworks LE/HE support                                                                                                         
[*]   NVIDIA chipset support                                                                                                             
[ ] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support)

now be sure that everything else needed for your particular system is setup as needed and start recompiling your kernel, copying the kernel image over to /boot.
Code:

/usr/src/linux # make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
/usr/src/linux # mount /boot
/usr/src/linux # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-agp-nodri

now you want to insert the new kernel into your grub.conf so that it shows up in the grub bootmenu. exectute:
Code:

/usr/src/linux # nano /boot/grub/grub.conf

add a new kernel with a separate title and save your changes while taking care to use the correct devices. most users have a standard gentoo setup and therefore can use (hd0,0) as their grub-root-partition.
Code:

title=kernel-agp-nodri
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-agp-nodri root=/dev/hda3 vga=773

hopefully you set up grub.conf correctly - here we are at the most sensitive part in the whole installation process. check everything more than twice and reboot. login as root and continue with part 3.

.:3:. emerging ati-drivers
it's as easy as this:
Code:

/ # emerge ati-drivers

.:4:. inserting the ati module into the init process
open up /etc/modules.autoload and add the following line in the end:
Code:

fglrx

you may have more lines in here - thats ok if they are not agp dependent. wants to say: agpgart and everthing that has to do with agp needs to be removed.
now you have two choices. while it is not too common to boot your machine only for adding some modules to the kernel, you can do that now and check back with
Code:

/ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P 
fglrx                 173864   6
nvnet                  26336   1

if fglrx is loaded. this can also be seen at the end of the dmesg output. execute
Code:

dmesg  | less

and look for
Code:

[fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 926 MBytes.
[fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 3.2.8 [Sep 21 2003] on minor 0

lets go on to working on XF86Config.

.:5:. setting up a new device section in XF86Config
those of you who have experimented a bit know that there is a tool which sets up your card for xfree86 automatically. fire up this tool and do your setup. we will change the configuration afterwards. the tool creates a file called XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11 which we rename later. lets start:
Code:

/ # fglrxconfig

and setup your monitor, mouse and keyboard. when it comes to your graphics card take the defaults everywhere. afterwards rename the new config file and open it in an editor.
Code:

mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config
nano /etc/X11/XF86Config

now look for the device section of your radeon card:
Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver                              "fglrx"
    Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000"
    Option "MonitorLayout"              "AUTO, AUTO"
    Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "off"
    Option "HSync2"                     "unspecified"
    Option "VRefresh2"                  "unspecified"
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
    Option "NoTV"                       "yes"
    Option "TVStandard"                 "NTSC-M"
    Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVHStartAdj"                "0"
    Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"
    Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"
    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
    Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
    Option "Stereo"                     "off"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
    Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
    Option "UseFastTLS"                 "2"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"
    Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
    BusID "PCI:3:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4150
    Screen 0
EndSection

there are a whole bunch of options, we only need a few of them to be set to let the card work properly. alot of these options are cosmetical. here is a list of what is important to be set. some of these options are not set from fglrxconfig like they are shown here, so take care to check every option that follows:
Code:

Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"

with that you get the most compatible settings possible for accelerated agp graphics and support for speedy glx and dri extensions. the busid should be set correctly from fglrxconfig.

.:6:. startx and verification
now type
Code:

/ # startx

and see if xfree86 starts. if so, shut down the xserver with <strg>+<alt>+<backsp> and verify that
Code:

more /var/log/XFree86.0.log

shows the following:
Code:

(II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f00420b bridge: 0x10de/0x01e0
(II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP disable mask 0x00000000
(II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f00430a
(II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP protocoll is enabled for grafics board. (cmd=0x1f004302)
(II) fglrx(0): [agp] grafics chipset has AGP v3.0 (native mode)

you might guess that this is a good sign. further verification can be done by:
Code:

/ # dmesg

which tells us:
Code:

[fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x1f00420b (hardware caps of chipset)
[fglrx] AGP enabled,  AgpCommand = 0x1f004302 (selected caps)
[fglrx] free  AGP = 121909248
[fglrx] max   AGP = 121909248
[fglrx] free  LFB = 120176640
[fglrx] max   LFB = 120176640
[fglrx] free  Inv = 0
[fglrx] max   Inv = 0
[fglrx] total Inv = 0
[fglrx] total TIM = 0
[fglrx] total FB  = 0
[fglrx] total AGP = 32768

.:7:. resolution and conclusion
i am sure that you do not want to stick to 640x480x24bpp. so do
Code:

nano /etc/X11/XF86Config

and scroll to the display subsection:
Code:

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1152x864"
        ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
    EndSubsection

in the modes line you can adjust your favorite resolution. just use something like 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1600x1200 or whatever and restart xfree86.

as you see we are at the end of this howto. it was quite a long description but i think there was a need for this and i hope that it helps you not getting as frustrated as all the others which tried their best and ended up with screwed configurations. feel free to bring in comments or suggestions. in a few days i will do some appendices for antialiasing and tv-out. now fire up some gl game and have fun. you deserve it.

greetings.

..::spekulatius::..
LumiNousiT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I commend you for trying to summerize the 1000+ thread.
But, this doesn't seem to be the "sure" way to do it.

For example:

My current setup goes along with what you have said, but I still do not have any mention of the fglrx driver in the startx log file.

Here is what I have:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
ATI 9700 pro

I compiled the gentoo-dev-sources at 2.6.0-test9 with no dri or drm but with mtrr and agpart/nvidia-agp as modules (tried with built-in as well).

after doing the kernel i emerge the ati-drivers, "opengl-update ati", and run fglrxconfig (which at the end states that it finds my card as a R300 card).

I modprobe in agpgart, nvidia-agp and fglrx and startx and errors out with no screens found.

In the XFree98 log it shows probes for the card being found (one for primary and one for secondary display) but no sign of fglrx.

fglrx gives no errors and loads fine with modprobe and shows no error in dmesg. And, it is the driver stated in the XF86config-4 file.

I have had many people look at my system and not know what to do after 4 hours each tinkering with it.

there you have it. I must have missed something, but don't know what.

hopefully there will be some more step-by-step samples added to this thread.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spekulatius: very nice howto :)

LumiNousiT: Can you take a look at the start of your logfile and find the line similar to this:
Code:
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

Check that it is actually using the config file generated by fglrxconfig.
LumiNousiT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_:
yup, I've got that line.

I don't want to post the whole log file because it is so long...
here are a few lines that don't make sense to me:

right after the using VT number 7 line I get:
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

then it probes PCI and I get:
(--) PCI:*(3:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 ND [Radeon 9700] rev 0, Mem @ 0xd8000000/27, 0xe9000000/16, I/O @ 0xa000/8
(--) PCI: (3:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R300 [Radeon 9700 Pro] (Secondary) rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/27, 0xe9010000/16

then goes through the list of drivers (fglrx not included) and then:
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 03:00:0
(EE) No devices detected.

(thanks to both for helping.)
spekulatius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge_: thx, i am lucky to hear that!

LumiNousiT: if you dont get any entry about fglrx in your xfree86 logs, be sure to have
Code:

at least these two lines set. it is very important to have UseFastTLS set to 2. the other i ask myself is why people always want to use 2.6.x kernels atm, but this is up to you. i would not write to use 2.4.22 >= 2.4.x < 2.5.0 if i am not absolutely sure. i dont want you to recompile your kernel, but i know that especially some a7n8x had trouble with that.
so good luck with the TLS settings.

greetings.

bert_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I used a friend's account to start the post I wasn't able to create my own yet... sorry. I am the same person LumiNousiT was]

spekulatius wrote:
Wedge_: thx, i am lucky to hear that!

LumiNousiT: if you dont get any entry about fglrx in your xfree86 logs, be sure to have
Code:

at least these two lines set. it is very important to have UseFastTLS set to 2. the other i ask myself is why people always want to use 2.6.x kernels atm, but this is up to you. i would not write to use 2.4.22 >= 2.4.x < 2.5.0 if i am not absolutely sure. i dont want you to recompile your kernel, but i know that especially some a7n8x had trouble with that.
so good luck with the TLS settings.

greetings.

I've got both those lines as well. I am using the 2.6 kernel because in another thread Wedge_ posted his setup (which is close to mine, or was) and I compiled the kernel with his .config file and used his xf86config-4 file.

I'm starting over from scratch now, I'll let you know what's up once I get to the same spot.
bert_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i started over and emerged everything and got a working system in that it boots and loads system drivers.

I tried to emerge ati-drivers and xfree fails.

it takes about an hour (much longer than to emerge system during initial install) and fails with unresolved symbols pertaining to the mga.o file, which I think is a matrox driver.

I tried very hard to find out why but no luck. I downloaded the binaries from XFree86.org and installed those with a stub for xfree-4.3.0-r3 and got X to start with fglrx. Except, GLX didn't install into the driver so no 3D support.

thats my progress so far.

I am getting a little upset at gentoo because of these weird errors for the past week and a half.

I never plan to use any other video card so why do I even have to compile all the drivers into xfree?
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am kind of having a similar problem. I have the 2.6 kernel and i also have a Radeon 9700Pro, i built agpgart into the kernel not as a module so it should be there. But when i go to modprobe fglrx it says invalid module type or something like that. I am stumped and it sucks =/
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any errors in the output of "dmesg" after you try to modprobe it?
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my dmesg

Code:

pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
Non-volatile memory driver v1.2
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected VIA KT266/KY266x/KT333 chipset
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xd0000000
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 8192K size 1024 blocksize
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
0000:00:0b.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xd800. Vers LK1.1.19
Equalizer2002: Simon Janes (simon@ncm.com) and David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:11.1
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: VIA vt8233a (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci0000:00:11.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe400-0xe407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe408-0xe40f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: Maxtor 6Y200P0, ATA DISK drive
Using anticipatory io scheduler
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hdc: CREATIVE DVD-ROM DVD1241E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: ARTEC WRR-4048 1.01, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: max request size: 1024KiB
hda: 398297088 sectors (203928 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=24792/255/63, UDMA(133)
 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3
hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
ohci1394: $Rev: 1045 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[7]  MMIO=[eb005000-eb0057ff]  Max Packet=[2048]
video1394: Installed video1394 module
raw1394: /dev/raw1394 device initialized
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0e.2: EHCI Host Controller
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0e.2: irq 10, pci mem d0840000
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0e.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci_hcd 0000:00:0e.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 0.95, driver 2003-Jun-13
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 4 ports detected
drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.1
uhci_hcd 0000:00:0e.0: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:0e.0: irq 5, io base 0000dc00
uhci_hcd 0000:00:0e.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:0e.1: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:0e.1: irq 7, io base 0000e000
uhci_hcd 0000:00:0e.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.2: UHCI Host Controller
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.2: irq 10, io base 0000e800
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.3: UHCI Host Controller
ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023]  GUID[00023c002106c1e7]
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.3: irq 10, io base 0000ec00
uhci_hcd 0000:00:11.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 5-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.7 (Thu Sep 25 19:16:36 2003 UTC).
AC'97 0:0 analog subsections not ready
ALSA device list:
  #0: Sound Blaster Audigy (rev.3) at 0xd000, irq 5
pktgen.c: v1.3: Packet Generator for packet performance testing.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 16Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 32768)
IPv4 over IPv4 tunneling driver
ip_conntrack version 2.1 (2047 buckets, 16376 max) - 300 bytes per conntrack
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
ipt_recent v0.3.1: Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>.  http://snowman.net/projects/ipt_recent/
arp_tables: (C) 2002 David S. Miller
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 10
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
registering ipv6 mark target
NET: Registered protocol family 17
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
SCTP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind 16384)
sctp_init_sock(sk: ced9ec4c)
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
Trying to move old root to /initrd ... failed
Unmounting old root
Trying to free ramdisk memory ... okay
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 396k freed
Adding 498004k swap on /dev/hda2.  Priority:-1 extents:1
EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
Disabled Privacy Extensions on device c04820e0(lo)
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
fglrx: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

I hope this helps
bert_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i followed the steps (with a little weirdness in half compiling xfree and have downloading) from the first post and I got glx to load with no errors in xfree log file. This is all done from scratch with the basic 2.6 CD and starting from stage 1.

Now i'll have to visit some other threads to try to fix the xfree and gnome compile errors. :(

thanks a lot spekulatius and Wedge_
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bert_: Good to hear it works now :)

@gen2newB: I've never seen this error before: "fglrx: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module", I have no idea what it means.

Last edited by Wedge_ on Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know, its quite upsetting =/ i hope someone out there knows whats going on.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gen2newB wrote:
i know, its quite upsetting =/ i hope someone out there knows whats going on.

Damnit, I thought that was bert_'s dmesg :oops: That'll teach me to read the usernames in future :) *edits previous message*

Well, like I said, I've never seen that before. Which kernel version are you using? Do you get any compilation warnings when you emerge the driver? (there's usually one about an unused variable, that's OK). See if this helps:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config config
make mrproper
cp config .config
make oldconfig

then compile the kernel as you normally would (make && make modules_install for 2.6).
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about it, im not about to bite the hand that is helping me right now. Right now i am using 2.6.0-test9. I will try what you told me and let you know.

::EDIT::: Before i do this, my agpgart is built into the kernel and i built the kernel with genkernel if that makes any difference.:::/EDIT:::
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely try doing it without genkernel. It may also be worth building the AGP support as modules, that seems to work better for most people, although I don't think it's anything to do with the problem you have at the moment.
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i am doing that right now. I will admit i had some oddball things compiling in my kernel so that could have done it, like the Security stuff from the NSA or whatever. Maybe that was doing it. Im compiling right now by hand, no genkernel, so i will let you know how that goes.
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gen2newB wrote:
I will admit i had some oddball things compiling in my kernel so that could have done it, like the Security stuff from the NSA or whatever.

Hopefully that's all it was. I've only tried genkernel once or twice, but it did seem to add some weird stuff :)
xcham
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the fglrx drivers don't allow you to use 16 bit color mode, only 24... can mean a lot of lag and flickering at high-res.
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i just tried to do make && make bzImage modules modules_install and i got this
Code:

INSTALL drivers/net/yellowfin.ko
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.6.0-test9; fi
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.o needs unknown symbol smp_call_function
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.o needs unknown symbol capable
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.o needs unknown symbol __preempt_spin_lock
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.o needs unknown symbol __might_sleep
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.o needs unknown symbol module_refcount
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.o needs unknown symbol __io_virt_debug
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol capable

So i went back into the kernel and deselected those options and after i get my kernel rebuilt i will try and re-emerge ati-drivers. I just want to get some good ol gameage in, is that too much to ask? DAMN YOU KERNEL GODS!!!
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you also check what files are in the directory /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9/video?
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only fglrx.o
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there isn't a file called fglrx.ko? That's not good. Modules for 2.4 kernels have a .o extension, modules for 2.6 kernels should have a .ko extension. Is your /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the 2.6.0-test9 kernel sources?
gen2newB
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is, i redid it just to make sure. there are no 2.4 sources on my computer so those are the only ones it could be building on. I did mrproper and got rid of my config files. They were created by genkernel anyway so there is no use for them at this point. I am rebuilding the kernel and the modules. I made /dev/agpgart a module and i have via chipset support selected as that is the chipset i have. I am gonna be going home in a little bit, it should be done by the time i get home. Oh the joys of
Code:

screen and screen -R  :D  :D
Wedge_
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, something must have gone wrong the last time you emerged the drivers then. The only file in that directory should be fglrx.ko. You can just delete the fglrx.o file, it definitely shouldn't be there, and is almost certainly screwing things up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: