Post KDE5 update woes
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Post KDE5 update woes Reply with quote

Hello!
I just updated to KDE5 and have some questions, mostly about this horrible new login manager sddm.
Even if I set "start screen" to none, I get a black screen for 10 seconds. Otherwise I can just watch the ugly start screen for 10 seconds. What is going on? This is an i7 with SSD, windows boots in 20 secs, so did KDE4. Any ideas?
Also, I have two users that both just want to login without password. No problems with kdm, sddm doesn't seem to be able to handle it?
Do I have any valid alternatives? This software seems far from being usable.
Troopo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Post KDE5 update woes Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
Hello!
I just updated to KDE5 and have some questions, mostly about this horrible new login manager sddm.
Even if I set "start screen" to none, I get a black screen for 10 seconds. Otherwise I can just watch the ugly start screen for 10 seconds. What is going on? This is an i7 with SSD, windows boots in 20 secs, so did KDE4. Any ideas?
Also, I have two users that both just want to login without password. No problems with kdm, sddm doesn't seem to be able to handle it?
Do I have any valid alternatives? This software seems far from being usable.

Hi,

First of all relax it's just a login manager :)

Second, did you look at the config file?
The configuration file for SDDM is: /etc/sddm.conf
It has Autologin if you want and the start screen might not be there in that case.

Personally i find Arch's wiki to have more info usually so you might want to take a look:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM

Lastly for me it runs fine on I7 and an SSD 10 secs boot.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both, the article and checked the config file. If it's set to auto-login, it will still display the login screen for 10 seconds or alternatively a black screen just as long.
What annoys me, that it's supposed to be kdms successor but has only a fragment of kdm's features...
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 10 second black screen as well when on openRC. When I switched to systemd it only changed to showing the console display for 10 seconds (with nothing changing -- the last output isn't always consitant either -- expected since systemd does things in parallel) before sddm would finally come up. I considered that it might be related to my GPU (hardware or software) or perhaps something related to the framebuffer.

Regarding the auto-login with two users I'm not sure but I have read that upstream with sddm they have been purposely preventing some things. For instance I recently read that sddm absolutely will not allow a user to login as root now. You might try checking/inquiring upstream.

To be honest KDE5 (Plasma/KF/KF apps) really isn't as stable as KDE4. But it's mostly there only with a few papercuts. I'm running live builds now and I'm noticing it seems some memory leaks are back with plasmashell (currently using 800M with one day uptime -- it was ~ 120M for a while with Plasma 5.3 but there seems to be a regression somewhere - I should try going back to Plasma 5.3 and see if it is still there with the current config maybe?). And restoring sessions with qt5 apps isn't working right yet (qt bugs). The ratings in Dolphin and Gwenview are also mostly borked. Kmail seems to forget I am using bogofilter, etc. but I can still get work done with it and it's not crashing as it once was... If you need absolute stability you might want to go back to KDE4 for a while longer though...otherwise you might get a bit annoyed. :(
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Thanks for the reply.
I am already using systemd, it booted up my KDE4 system in no time. Not so with sddm...
Interestingly, I have exact same behaviour with sddm on a Kubuntu installation, there the login screen also shows up like forever. I thought it's because that installation was on a hard disk.
Unfortunately going back is not really an option, as it's mutually exclusive. I had to do some stunts to install it.
Do I have options? I can't use kdm anymore, right? What about other login managers?
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that delay with SDDM only if I did a reboot ("warm start") from Windows. Then it remains (even trough reboots) until I turn the laptop completely off ("shut down") an do a cold start into Gentoo. In my case it seems that Windows 10 set the graphics adapter (Intel Haswell in my case) into a mode where the linux kernel has some problems initializing it. See my other post here.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird. I can't verify that, though. Dual booting with Windows 7, and it doesn't make any difference. I am using integrated HD graphics and a nvidia-card, but don't even have the nvidia-drivers installed in Gentoo.
Right after showing the kernel messages, the mouse cursor pops up and the screen stays black for some time. Even if I set a theme for SDDM, it doesn't get shown. After that, desktop shows up. I tried it with 2 different users and even a wiped home-directory. Still same result. Syslog also doesn't seem to show anything relevant...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: