Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Evergreen browsers in Gentoo- Do they update?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dman777
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Evergreen browsers in Gentoo- Do they update? Reply with quote

Google chrome has been acting up lately in my system. There hasn't been any changes that I made to it. I was wondering, even though chrome has to be compiled in Gentoo... since it's a evergreen browser now, is it doing some kind of updates out of my control that is causing breaking/buggy changes?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge google-chrome

* IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/portage/package.keywords' needs updating.
 * See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
 * man page to learn how to update config files.
Calculating dependencies... done!

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1::gentoo
 * google-chrome-stable_44.0.2403.130-1_amd64.deb SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                    [ ok ]
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     3.18.16-gentoo_2015_07_10
 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...                                                                                  [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking google-chrome-stable_44.0.2403.130-1_amd64.deb to /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/work
>>> Unpacking data.tar.xz to /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/work
d>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/work ...
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/work ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/work ...
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1

>>> Install google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1 into /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/image/ category www-client
 *      /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/image/opt/google/chrome/chrome
 * PT PaX marking -m /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/image/opt/google/chrome/chrome with paxctl
>>> Completed installing google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1 into /var/tmp/portage/www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1/image/

* QA Notice: This package installs one or more .desktop files that do not
 * pass validation.
 *    /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop: error: file contains group "NewIncognito Shortcut Group", but groups extending the format should start with "X-"
 *    /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop: error: file contains group "NewWindow Shortcut Group", but groups extending the format should start with "X-"
ecompressdir: bzip2 -9 /usr/share/doc
ecompressdir: bzip2 -9 /usr/share/man

>>> Installing (1 of 1) www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1::gentoo
 * >>> SetUID: [chmod go-r] /opt/google/chrome/chrome-sandbox ...                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Updating icons cache ...                                                                                                               [ ok ]
 * Updating desktop mime database ...
 * Updating icons cache ...                                                                                                               [ ok ]
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: app-text/poppler-0.34.0
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler.so.52
 *  - /usr/lib64/libpoppler.so.52.0.0
 *      used by /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/xpdfimport (app-office/libreoffice-4.4.4.3)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

* IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/portage/package.keywords' needs updating.
 * See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
 * man page to learn how to update config files.

are you sure you talk about the binary chrome or the chromium ebuild?

as you can see above www-client/google-chrome-44.0.2403.130_p1::gentoo is definitely a binary.

And that ebuild gets updated quite often, too often but as its a binary who cares. for sure once a week an upgrade to this package.

you may specify what your issues are or use different browsers.

i use firefox for very old html pages
opera when i need flash (webradio!)
google chrome, as above, only with some plugins to stop flash from autoplay, ad blockers and such. The only issue with google chrome is that since over 2 years it has a memory hole regarding flash. As flash is a binary crap from adobe, that can not be fixed and as most pages uses flash you are out of luck, that behaviour belongs to the company called adobe and I hope we get html5 soon and flash will die as soon as possible.

You may just switch to another webbrowser, as many did in the past when the current webbrowser is not to your liking.
dman777
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evergreen browsers update by themselves.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how they can on Linux. They just don't have the permission to do it.

EDIT: Unless you run as root, then you have a lecture coming...

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: