System hangs on cold boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: System hangs on cold boot Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I installed Funtoo on my home machine a couple of months ago. It runs smoothly but I have a really annoying problem: the computer hangs completely (no keyboard, no remote access through SSH...) when it cold boots. It may take up to three consecutive resets to make it work. The kernel seems to boot fine. When the booting procedure reaches OpenRC the system sits at "waiting for uevents to be completed" for a very long time and eventually hangs there forever. Sometimes it manages to go on after 20-30 seconds but as soon as XDM starts the computer hangs for good. When the booting procedure completes (it reaches the login screen) I can reboot the computer dozen of times and it keeps working flawlessy: no hangs, no lags, nothing...

The most annoying part is that I can't manage to get a log of what's going on. I use syslog-ng but nothing seems to be breaking the system. I compiled the kernel myself and built-in all the firmware needed (AMD ucode, NIC patch, video card firmware). I don't use INITRD.

Here my specs:

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX/R2.0
AMD FX-6350 Black Edition
Kingston 4x4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Kingston SSDNow! V300 128GB
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280X

Can you please help me? I'm out of ideas... :(

cat /proc/cpuinfo -> http://pastebin.com/b89PV9Uf
dmesg -> http://pastebin.com/NtRHwm5s
zcat /proc/config.gz -> http://pastebin.com/SSrqNfeV
lsmod -> http://pastebin.com/R0NiQr0F
lspci -> http://pastebin.com/JDz3EUUQ
lsusb -> http://pastebin.com/cEayLFjf
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a hardware issue.
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
I think it is a hardware issue.

I thought about that but how can I identify the piece of HW that is malfunctioning?

I start guessing:

- if the CPU or the MOBO or the RAM is broken I should also have random issues during normal functioning of the computer which is NOT the case: I compiled the whole distro and I got zero problems.
- if the SSD is malfunctioning the hang should happen all the time.

The only thing remaining is the video card which is new (I bought it in March) but I would like to be sure because it is rather expensive and I have to identify the problem in order to send it to RDA.

Honestly I came to thing that it may be a BIOS/UEFI issue/bug not initializing some devices correctly. When linux tries to access those devices it hangs but it's only a wild guess.

Thank you,
Alessandro.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try another PSU?

I would start with this first.

Last edited by Keruskerfuerst on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i rember such an issue in the past. AFAIK config file in etc need to be updated.

I am sure you will get a result using gentoo and this forum as restriction filter.

please post such Funtoo issues to funtoo forum or unsupported area of this forum.

funtoo is loosely based on gentoo.
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
Can you try another PSU?

Uhm... yes I can. Right now I have a Cooler Master PSU (780W). I will try with something more powerful.

tw04l124 wrote:
Well i rember such an issue in the past. AFAIK config file in etc need to be updated.

I am sure you will get a result using gentoo and this forum as restriction filter.

Thank you, I'm going to try.

tw04l124 wrote:
please post such Funtoo issues to funtoo forum or unsupported area of this forum.

I did but Gentoo has a better/wider user base so I also tried to get support here.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to calculate the power needed on the lines. the power rating of a psu is rather worthless.

you have a lot of power hungry components. ... and looks like a overclocked box also. could be really an underpowered psu.

Did you ever run a stresstest to pull the cpu / gpu on full power?

I assume you already updated all firmware of your components?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Unsupported Software. Considering:
lex82 wrote:
I installed Funtoo

Though as it is quite possibly a hardware issue, formally correct placement may be somewhat moot.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: System hangs on cold boot Reply with quote

lex82 wrote:
sits at "waiting for uevents to be completed" for a very long time and eventually hangs there forever.
Happened here at a hardened Gentoo, when I tried kernel 4.1.2 (hardened 4.0.8 is fine)
Solved in 4.1.3-hardened-r1 and 4.1.4-hardened.
So sometimes it is not a faulty hardware.
lex82
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys... it seems I found out what's going on with my system. Let's begin with "no, it is not an hardware fault"... well, mostly it isn't. I tried replacing my PSU but it did not fix the hang-ups. I also tried to switch distro (from Funtoo to Gentoo and then some LiveUSB distros) but nothing seemed to help (I thought about the opensource radeon driver locking the system and with Funtoo I was not able to install fglrx). Then, this morning a lightning stroke me and I was like: "let's try to clear the CMOS"... well it did not help but I noticed one thing: the mobo did not recognized the RAM timings and voltage correctly! I had to activate some ASUS thing called "D.O.C.P." and voilà... I get the right profile in the preferences and the system is rock solid since then... it's even f*cking faster! My Kingston kit is even in the damned QVL... WAY TO GO ASUS! :evil:

EDIT: just to be clear. My RAM supports both JEDEC (standard) and XMP but the former is DDR3-1600 11-11-11 @1.5V and the latter is DDR3-1600 9-9-9 @1.65V. The BIOS set this profile: DDR3-1333 JEDEC 9-9-9-28 @ 1.5V. WTF?!?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: