Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE/Plasma 5 power management doesn't work (OpenRC)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thurnax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: KDE/Plasma 5 power management doesn't work (OpenRC) Reply with quote

During the installation process I read somewhere that some certain subset of packages needs to be installed if one wants to have the KDE Power Management to work. I ignored this suggestion as I didn't think I'd need it, but now it turns out that I do, and I cannot find this suggestion anywhere anymore. Perhaps it is in one of the build logs?

Here's what I have done, I have emerged udev-pm-utils as suggested for OpenRC users (which I guess is the majority of the Gentoo user-base), it feels kind of wrong to install a package that hasn't been maintained for over a year but so I did anyway.

I also emerged dbus because it wasn't installed, which is a bit strange since 'emerge --info' reveals that a 'dbus' USE flag is present and the documentation says that it automatically emerges dbus as soon as that USE flag is added (yeh I know; 'emerge --changed-use ... @world' is needed after use flag mods).

But in spite of this 'ps -e | upower' doesn't yield anything, I can also not find it in /etc/rc.config, the same thing can be said about dbus.

Since this is not systemd, does anyone know what has happened and how to fix this?

Btw, I don't need any advanced power management functionality, just something that cuts the 'video output' after a prolonged period of user inactivity and that can easily 'wake up' again.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently switched to systemd but ran OpenRC for a while on Plasma. One thing I remembered was that the DPMS (putting the LCD in sleep mode) was a bit wonky. Especially after first installed. I never isolated it but it really seemed as if just going into system settings and then rebooting a few times somehow largely solved it to where it would work correctly >99% of the time. It sounds strange but it was almost always the case after switching back and forth that it never worked right at first until a few reboots!
thurnax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I solved this problem. First I emerged 'sys-power/acpid' because it doesn't make sense to have power management support without ACPI. That alone didn't alleviate the problem.

Then I got a little frustrated over the situation and decided to replace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils' with the ordinary 'sys-power/upower'. This is supposedly not recommended for users of OpenRC as a lot of power saving functionality is lost that way. As I understand it, a lot of the power management functionality that used to reside within upower has now been adopted by systemd which is why that functionality has been stripped off of more recent versions of upowerd. That is not so with OpenRC that is an alternative system management daemon to systemd. That's why the maintainers of Gentoo has added a special package called upower-pm-utils to sort this situation out. Now, users might still not be affected since a lot of power management functionality has been incorporated with more advanced desktop envioronments, as I understand it.

Changing upower-pm-utils to upower didn't help my situation. Then I discovered that although dbus indeed is installed it doesn't start at boot, i.e. I didn't get '<xxx> is already running' when issuing '/etc/init.d/<xxx> start'. The command

Code:
rc-update add dbus default

and a reboot made at least KDE/Plasma stop complaining about missing power management modules. Now I also have the System -> 'Restart' and 'Shut down' in the 'Leave' tab of the Kickoff' start menu. They also work and are not mere decoration.

I'm not a big fan of writing X.org configs, a minor change in the hardware and the X.org config might break. It's better to let X.org autodetect currently available hardware configuration and adjust the settings accordingly.

Update: It turns out that screen blanking doesn't work with the ordinary 'system-power/upower package'. When I reverted back to 'system-power/upower-pm-utils' the system now blanks the screen but doesn't cut the video signal entirely. Maybe it works better on-the-metal than iniside a hypervisor environment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: