Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Code:
[nomerge       ] media-sound/noise-0.4.0.1::elementary  USE="libnotify mpris nls -ipod -lastfm -zeitgeist"
[nomerge       ]  dev-libs/libindicate-12.10.1-r2:3::gentoo  USE="introspection -gtk"

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Any other idea/suggestion what it could be?

I'm almost 100% sure it's these two packages. Fork them into a local overlay that has an eclass directory containing this vala.eclass file. Update @world while making sure those two packages are rebuilt from the local overlay.

If that works, you have your answer and unfortunately you are probably going to have to manage it yourself because while I could make a case for forking dev-libs/libindicate, media-sound/noise is a bit much as it's an overlay package. :(

OK, I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks for the hint!

I looked into this and found 32 packages (including dev-libs/libindicate) that needed to be accounted for. :o

This was a bit a much so I thought of another solution (directly pulling in the Vala versions most likely to be affected).

Sync up and let me know if it works.

saboya wrote:
Maybe found something that needs profile tweaking, trying to emerge inkscape today

Tweaked, thanks for the heads up.

tallefjant wrote:
Why was ibus with use flag gtk3 masked for the 3.20 profile (f513b2fb6ca76cb937ca83637c9415e81147d4ed)?

Because that version of IBus requires at least GTK+ 3.22 and GNOME 3.20 is tied to GTK+ 3.20.

tallefjant wrote:
I think japanese input from ibus-anthy stopped working with this change. Undoing this change and re-building ibus with gtk3 made it work again.

I'll investigate this.

What's probably going to happen is that older IBus releases will be reintroduced.

Edit: I added 1.5.16 with backported patches and masked IBus accordingly (for GNOME 3.14 through 3.20). If you want to stay with 1.5.17, you can manage that yourself.

dantrell wrote:
dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Are you going to make elogind work for the older and consolekit for the newer GNOME versions in your overlay?

Just elogind for the older ones. ConsoleKit will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

I'm picking a day to get this done. Stay tuned for USE flag shenanigans. :twisted:

I can't recall if I mentioned this previously but the issue (if it's ConsoleKit specific) with GDM sometimes requiring you to login twice might be resolved by elogind.

Edit: Done as well but not live just yet. I'm going to test it for a while longer as there were indeed USE flag shenanigans (as well as a minor elogind issue with early GNOME release versions).

This is now live. Brace for impact. :twisted:

The biggest change was some USE flag restructuring. For the purposes of the project, the ck USE flag was introduced to manage the ConsoleKit implementation since the consolekit USE flag largely refers to ConsoleKit2. This means switching to elogind is as simple as:

/etc/portage/make.conf:
USE="${USE} -ck elogind"

and vice versa:

/etc/portage/make.conf:
USE="${USE} ck -elogind"

The default implementation for GNOME 3.14 through 3.22 is still ConsoleKit. Likewise, 3.24 and onwards still default to elogind.

The project documentation was updated accordingly and the overview now reflects which GCC releases achieved "build passing".

P.S. To those using the elogind implementation, is the sys-power/acpid package still needed if you physically press the power button?
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the latest update and all that new USE flag hassle, I cant shutdown or reboot my computer from Gnome-shell. Still using 3.22 and "ck". I need to type shutdown -h now as root to turn off computer. If you have any ideas what might be causing this...? Also I think shutting down the computer takes longer now.

Im probably going to try elogind with 3.22 profile, and if that doesnt work, maybe finally upgrade to 3.26 this weekend.

I guess, once again, Im the only one with this problem...

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.22.3-r4::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="ck deprecated-background -bluetooth -browser-extension -elogind -ibus -networkmanager -nsplugin (-systemd) -vanilla-motd -vanilla-screen -xephyr" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 -python3_4 -python3_6"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.22.3-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="branding ck introspection tcpd xinerama -accessibility -audit -elogind -fprint -ipv6 -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard (-systemd) {-test} -wayland"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-power/acpid-2.0.28::dantrell-gnome  USE="(-selinux) (-systemd)"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.34.11::dantrell-gnome  USE="ncurses netifrc pam unicode vanilla-loopback vanilla-warnings -audit -debug -newnet (-prefix) (-selinux) -static-libs -vanilla-shutdown"
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Well, since the latest update and all that new USE flag hassle

These were just rebuilds though? It should have been pretty seamless.

Did something unexpected happen?

Juippisi wrote:
I cant shutdown or reboot my computer from Gnome-shell. Still using 3.22 and "ck". I need to type shutdown -h now as root to turn off computer. If you have any ideas what might be causing this...? Also I think shutting down the computer takes longer now.

Sounds like OpenRC again. Downgrade:

Code:
emerge --ask --nodeps --oneshot =sys-apps/openrc-0.29

If that resolves it, I'm starting to think that the project overlays are probably just going to have to stick with 0.29 forever (like how some people are sticking with 0.17).

True, some people had no issues with the newer versions, but just as many people did have issues and in your particular case, SIGHUP apparently doesn't work for you (on that machine at least).

All this would mean is that if people think the newer versions will work for them, they should unmask it for Gentoo.

Juippisi wrote:
Im probably going to try elogind with 3.22 profile, and if that doesnt work, maybe finally upgrade to 3.26 this weekend.

If it's OpenRC, switching to elogind or even upgrading to 3.26 before resolving the issue won't do anything. ;)
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Sounds like OpenRC again. Downgrade:

Code:
emerge --ask --nodeps --oneshot =sys-apps/openrc-0.29

If that resolves it, I'm starting to think that the project overlays are probably just going to have to stick with 0.29 forever (like how some people are sticking with 0.17).

I downgraded and it didnt help. But I checked, when typing reboot or shutdown the system doesnt hang. It just doesnt work when trying to shutdown or restart from Gnome.

dantrell wrote:

If it's OpenRC, switching to elogind or even upgrading to 3.26 before resolving the issue won't do anything. ;)

So I checked /var/log/messages and theres these lines when trying to shutdown from Gnome:
Code:

Dec 15 09:06:31 starlight gnome-session-binary[4315]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Dec 15 09:06:31 starlight gnome-session-binary[4315]: GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

My gnome-shell crashes (titlebars disappears, panel blinks) and I cant access the "shutdown menu" anymore. However I can open new windows and the previous windows are usable after few seconds.

To my knowledge there were no errors during the recompilation with new USE flags. So do you think this is ck-elogind related, or a bug? I tried compiling gnome-session, rebooted but still no success.
Code:

[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-session-3.22.3::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="ck (-consolekit) -doc -elogind -gconf -ipv6 (-systemd) -wayland" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/openrc-0.34.11::dantrell-gnome [0.29::dantrell-gnome] USE="ncurses netifrc pam unicode vanilla-loopback vanilla-warnings -audit -debug -newnet (-prefix) (-selinux) -static-libs -vanilla-shutdown%" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.22.3-r4::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="ck deprecated-background -bluetooth -browser-extension -elogind -ibus -networkmanager -nsplugin (-systemd) -vanilla-motd -vanilla-screen -xephyr" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 -python3_4 -python3_6" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.22.3-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="branding ck introspection tcpd xinerama -accessibility -audit -elogind -fprint -ipv6 -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard (-systemd) {-test} -wayland" 0 KiB

Should I enable vanilla-shutdown?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
So do you think this is ck-elogind related, or a bug? I tried compiling gnome-session, rebooted but still no success.

I spun up a GNOME 3.22 install and was able to reproduce this issue. After reviewing everything it turned out that it was indeed ck-elogind related. Specifically, the GNOME Session ebuilds for 3.14 through 3.22 weren't quite right. Oops.

Sync up and you should be good to go. Just remember to restart XDM (if not the system) after GNOME Session updates.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it :)
works beatifully again, with newest openrc.

Thanks for your continued support!
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
You know, this makes me wonder that maybe the issue wasn't caused by the introduction of cgroups but by this commit.
zOMG, WTF did he do to my lovely shell script?!
Quote:
After reading up on OpenRC issue #166 I have decided to fork the package for the project. It was forked locally anyway.
Hmm, will take a look in the New Year.

Thanks for all the hard work.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
That did it :)

Glad to hear it.

Juippisi wrote:
Thanks for your continued support!

steveL wrote:
Thanks for all the hard work.

No problem. :wink:

dantrell wrote:
Spargeltarzan wrote:
When we use your overlay, we can ignore the news regarding the new 17.0 profile?

You can ignore it for now (maybe even for ~6 months :P).

I'm going to take the time to review my profile implementation and let the 17.0 profiles age a bit. If I end up referencing them, you just have to follow the steps outlined in the news item.

I'll update everyone when I have something concrete at which point it will be announced here and maybe though the project homepage as well as a news item.

As this is one of the next items on my list, I would like some feedback (you can consider this an open poll for ~6 months :P).

Current profiles look like this:

Code:
  [39]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.14
  [40]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.14/extended
  [51]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.26
  [52]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.26/extended

I'm considering something similar to:

Code:
  [53]  dantrell-gnome-3-14:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome
  [54]  dantrell-gnome-3-14:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/extended
  [65]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome
  [66]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/extended

This allows me to limit the number of profiles that get listed (which is useful if all of the overlays aren't added) and easily support newer (or older) profile release versions.

I'm open to simplifying the new profile pattern but the arch and profile release version segments (e.g. "amd64/17.0") have to be present (although not necessarily in that order).

Thoughts?
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would welcome a mixed profile for those who want to use plasma and kde :twisted: :)
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to see differences in profiles? I only think of changing profile, emerge -upvND world and see whats changing?

Havent really followed aftertalk on 17.0, but its causing a lot of talk in here.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

As this is one of the next items on my list, I would like some feedback (you can consider this an open poll for ~6 months :P).

Code:

Code:

This allows me to limit the number of profiles that get listed (which is useful if all of the overlays aren't added) and easily support newer (or older) profile release versions.

I'm open to simplifying the new profile pattern but the arch and profile release version segments (e.g. "amd64/17.0") have to be present (although not necessarily in that order).

Thoughts?

Looks good to me.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Well, I would welcome a mixed profile for those who want to use plasma and kde :twisted: :)

I was actually thinking about this. It can live in the generic GNOME overlay and only follow the latest GNOME release version (to simplify things) like so:

Code:
  [53]  dantrell-gnome:linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome+plasma
  [54]  dantrell-gnome:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome+plasma

[55]  dantrell-gnome-3-14:linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [56]  dantrell-gnome-3-14:linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/extended
  [57]  dantrell-gnome-3-14:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome
  [58]  dantrell-gnome-3-14:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/extended

[68]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [69]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/extended
  [70]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome
  [71]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/extended

Although, it'll probably be even less unofficially supported. :twisted:

Juippisi wrote:
Is there an easy way to see differences in profiles? I only think of changing profile, emerge -upvND world and see whats changing?

That works but you can just use diff (or equivalent) on the profile release folders:

Code:
diff -ur /usr/portage/profiles/releases/{13.0,17.0}

My understanding is that the 17.0 profiles just make new assumptions (at least GCC 6, C++14 and PIE) about the system compiler.

As shown above, I'm just going to support both. No pie fights for me. :wink:
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Very beautiful!! Even wayland works! Reply with quote

Very beautiful!! Even wayland works!

Mr. Dantrell, thank you very much for your work!

I love gnome, but i had to leave systemd because of the non-secure resolv stack. Unfortunately it is a shame, how the red hat with systemd stole the brilliant gnome. I was looking for replacement for a long time and tried everything. But I did not find a proper replacement. After reading this special topic I have your Gnome installed without systemd. To my biggest surprise, I found that wayland works too. Perfect!!

I believe the Gentoo community can be proud of "Gnome with openrc".
Again, my honest respect for you personally.

Ma
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
dantrell wrote:
I'm almost 100% sure it's these two packages. Fork them into a local overlay that has an eclass directory containing this vala.eclass file. Update @world while making sure those two packages are rebuilt from the local overlay.

If that works, you have your answer and unfortunately you are probably going to have to manage it yourself because while I could make a case for forking dev-libs/libindicate, media-sound/noise is a bit much as it's an overlay package. :(

OK, I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks for the hint!

I looked into this and found 32 packages (including dev-libs/libindicate) that needed to be accounted for. :o

This was a bit a much so I thought of another solution (directly pulling in the Vala versions most likely to be affected).

Sync up and let me know if it works.

I just removed noise because it wasn't perfect anyway, but I still saw the same issue when updating world after that. Wanted to report that here and then I saw this reply :)
Good news! It seems to be gone now :)
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Juippisi wrote:
So do you think this is ck-elogind related, or a bug? I tried compiling gnome-session, rebooted but still no success.

I spun up a GNOME 3.22 install and was able to reproduce this issue. After reviewing everything it turned out that it was indeed ck-elogind related. Specifically, the GNOME Session ebuilds for 3.14 through 3.22 weren't quite right. Oops.

Sync up and you should be good to go. Just remember to restart XDM (if not the system) after GNOME Session updates.

Unfortunately I have the shutdown issue as well :( I'm still on gnome 3.20, but I do have the gnome-session-3.20.2-r1 ebuild with the fix in it. ck is the only thing that's enabled (I haven't overridden anything from the profile regarding this).

Before (I think that was with the previous gnome-session-3.20.2 ebuild) when I did a shutdown nothing happened and I had to issue a command line shutdown, which would then be stuck for about a minute.
Now when I click shutdown it does actually do something, as in start to close my session, but is then stuck till infinity after closing XDM. Not really sure what's causing it.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Before (I think that was with the previous gnome-session-3.20.2 ebuild) when I did a shutdown nothing happened and I had to issue a command line shutdown, which would then be stuck for about a minute.
Now when I click shutdown it does actually do something, as in start to close my session, but is then stuck till infinity after closing XDM. Not really sure what's causing it.

I won't be able to confirm this until I get back to the desk and spin up a GNOME 3.20 install but this sounds like the original hang during the OpenRC shutdown process.

Did you try downgrading to 0.29 (or earlier)?
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:

I won't be able to confirm this until I get back to the desk and spin up a GNOME 3.20 install but this sounds like the original hang during the OpenRC shutdown process.

No problem! Already happy that you'd take the time to have a look :)

dantrell wrote:
Did you try downgrading to 0.29 (or earlier)?

I've already got openrc 0.29 from dantrell-gnome installed, emerged on december 3rd.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
No problem! Already happy that you'd take the time to have a look :)

Sometimes I have too much time. ;)

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I've already got openrc 0.29 from dantrell-gnome installed, emerged on december 3rd.

So I spun up a GNOME 3.20 test install and unfortunately, it worked. I didn't have an issue suspending or shutting down.

I reviewed the changes again and nothing turned up but reading what you said earlier, are you saying you were never able to shutdown properly even before the changes?
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
So I spun up a GNOME 3.20 test install and unfortunately, it worked. I didn't have an issue suspending or shutting down.

I reviewed the changes again and nothing turned up but reading what you said earlier, are you saying you were never able to shutdown properly even before the changes?

Hmm, that's good to know. So it's probably something in my config/specific combo of versions.

Shutting down worked fine till some time ago when we all had the same issue that it took longer. That was fixed (by switching back to the older OpenRC version, right?). Then last week shutdown from GNOME shell didn't work anymore (like Juippisi posted on the 14th) and now shutdown from GNOME shell does start the shutdown but hangs after my X session is gone.

I'll have a look at the logs. The logs posted by Juippisi saying "GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed " seem familiar.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Shutting down worked fine till some time ago when we all had the same issue that it took longer. That was fixed (by switching back to the older OpenRC version, right?).

Around this time, I just masked what was in Gentoo so only OpenRC 0.28 was available.

There's not that big a difference between that version and 0.29 so I doubt that's the cause. If it worked then it should work now but I will check everything again to be safe.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Then last week shutdown from GNOME shell didn't work anymore (like Juippisi posted on the 14th) and now shutdown from GNOME shell does start the shutdown but hangs after my X session is gone.

Does the shutdown eventually complete though? Have you tried 0.34.11 (and on that note, do you have rc.log turned on and have you checked it)?

Edit: You could also cross reference your build history against the packages that should be tripped by the ck USE flag:

Code:
USE="-ck elogind" emerge --pretend --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

Should be ~17 of them:

Code:
[ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/elogind
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/dbus
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/pambase
[ebuild   R    ] sys-process/procps
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/polkit
[ebuild   R    ] sys-power/upower
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/modemmanager
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/accountsservice
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udisks
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/networkmanager
[ebuild   R    ] net-im/telepathy-mission-control
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon
[ebuild   R    ] x11-wm/mutter
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-session
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-control-center
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm

simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Shutting down worked fine till some time ago when we all had the same issue that it took longer. That was fixed (by switching back to the older OpenRC version, right?).

Around this time, I just masked what was in Gentoo so only OpenRC 0.28 was available.

There's not that big a difference between that version and 0.29 so I doubt that's the cause. If it worked then it should work now but I will check everything again to be safe.
Have you tried 0.34.11 (and on that note, do you have rc.log turned on and have you checked it)

I don't think it's caused by a difference between 0.28 and 0.29 because I've had 0.29 since December 3rd.

I haven't tried 0.34.11 yet because I mostly stick with the profile defaults. I can give it a try though. Would actually prefer to stay as close to upstream as possible so would be a good thing to check in general.

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Then last week shutdown from GNOME shell didn't work anymore (like Juippisi posted on the 14th) and now shutdown from GNOME shell does start the shutdown but hangs after my X session is gone.

Does the shutdown eventually complete though?

It does shutdown right now. When clicking on Power Off in the Power Off modal dialog nothing happens for +-30s. Then the PC speaker beep sounds and the graphical session is closed. It then hangs for about a minute and then actually shuts down. This is slightly different then before where it would hang indefinitely on that last step.

Logs from the shutdown
Code:
Dec 22 00:55:36 [su] pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user root
Dec 22 00:55:36 [sudo] pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Dec 22 00:55:38 [gnome-session-binary] GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed_
                - Last output repeated 3 times -
Dec 22 00:55:40 [gnome-session-binary] WARNING: Client '/org/gnome/SessionManager/Client7' failed to reply before timeout_
Dec 22 00:55:44 [gnome-session-binary] GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed_
Dec 22 00:55:46 [gnome-session-binary] WARNING: Client '/org/gnome/SessionManager/Client7' failed to reply before timeout_
Dec 22 00:55:46 [kernel] usb 2-1.6.1.1: reset high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
Dec 22 00:55:47 [gnome-session-binary] GLib-GObject-CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed_
Dec 22 00:56:19 [kernel] usb 2-1.6.1.1: reset high-speed USB device number 8 using ehci-pci
Dec 22 00:56:32 [shutdown] shutting down for system halt
Dec 22 00:56:36 [init] Switching to runlevel: 0
Dec 22 00:56:37 [gdm] GLib-GObject: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GdmDisplayFactory'_
Dec 22 00:56:37 [gdm] gdm_display_factory_get_display_store: assertion 'GDM_IS_DISPLAY_FACTORY (factory)' failed_
Dec 22 00:56:37 [gdm] GLib-GObject: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'GdmDisplayFactory'_
Dec 22 00:56:37 [gdm] gdm_display_factory_get_display_store: assertion 'GDM_IS_DISPLAY_FACTORY (factory)' failed_
Dec 22 00:56:37 [gnome-session-binary] WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager_
Dec 22 00:56:37 [gnome-session-binary] WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Unable to find session for cookie_
Dec 22 00:56:37 [polkitd] Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session2 (system bus name :1.39, object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Dec 22 00:56:37 [kernel] nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0 (GPU-dec0ce54-5c3a-6376-bc27-ab76d246920b) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
Dec 22 00:56:38 [/etc/init.d/openrc-settingsd] /etc/init.d/openrc-settingsd uses runscript, please convert to openrc-run.
Dec 22 00:56:39 [/etc/init.d/dcron] /etc/init.d/dcron uses runscript, please convert to openrc-run.
Dec 22 00:56:39 [collectd] Exiting normally.
Dec 22 00:56:39 [collectd] collectd: Stopping 5 read threads.
Dec 22 00:56:39 [collectd] collectd: Stopping 5 write threads.
Dec 22 00:56:39 [collectd] exec plugin: Sent SIGTERM to 4291
Dec 22 00:56:39 [collectd] rrdtool plugin: Shutting down the queue thread.
Dec 22 00:56:39 [chronyd] chronyd exiting
Dec 22 00:56:40 [acpid] exiting
Dec 22 00:56:40 [NetworkManager] <info>  [1513900600.9184] caught SIGTERM, shutting down normally.
Dec 22 00:56:40 [NetworkManager] <info>  [1513900600.9245] exiting (success)

dantrell wrote:

Edit: You could also cross reference your build history against the packages that should be tripped by the ck USE flag:

This is the list of packages
Code:
$USE="-ck elogind" emerge --pretend --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-auth/elogind-227.4  USE="acl pam policykit -debug (-selinux)"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/dbus-1.10.24  USE="elogind*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-process/procps-3.3.12-r1  USE="elogind*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.16.3-r1  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/pambase-20150213-r1  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/polkit-0.113-r4  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-power/upower-0.99.5.20160608-r1  USE="-ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.45-r3  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/modemmanager-1.6.10  USE="-ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udisks-2.6.5  USE="elogind*"
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/networkmanager-1.8.4  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] x11-wm/mutter-3.20.3  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.20.2  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-session-3.20.2-r1  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.20.2  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.20.4-r3  USE="elogind* -ck*"
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.20.1-r1  USE="elogind* -ck*"
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I haven't tried 0.34.11 yet because I mostly stick with the profile defaults.

This is 0.34.11 with USE="-vanilla-shutdown" as provided by the project overlays right?

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Logs from the shutdown

Looks like I have some investigating to do.

simonvanderveldt wrote:

I meant cross reference that list against:

Code:
genlop --list --date 15 days ago

simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
I haven't tried 0.34.11 yet because I mostly stick with the profile defaults.

This is 0.34.11 with USE="-vanilla-shutdown" as provided by the project overlays right?

Euhm, right now I have openrc 0.29 installed from the dantrell-gnome overlay. Or was that not what you meant?
I can emerge 0.34.11 from either gentoo or from your overlay to give it a try.

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:

I meant cross reference that list against:

Code:
genlop --list --date 15 days ago

Sorry, missed that part. Was pretty late :P
The following items are in both lists
Code:

Fri Dec  8 10:22:29 2017 >>> sys-apps/dbus-1.10.24
Fri Dec  8 10:34:30 2017 >>> net-im/telepathy-mission-control-5.16.3-r1
Fri Dec  8 10:25:40 2017 >>> sys-auth/pambase-20150213-r1
Fri Dec  8 10:26:20 2017 >>> sys-auth/polkit-0.113-r4
Fri Dec  8 10:26:47 2017 >>> sys-power/upower-0.99.5.20160608-r1
Fri Dec  8 10:29:50 2017 >>> sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.45-r3
Fri Dec  8 10:27:51 2017 >>> net-misc/modemmanager-1.6.10
Fri Dec  8 10:29:28 2017 >>> net-misc/networkmanager-1.8.4
Fri Dec  8 10:31:51 2017 >>> x11-wm/mutter-3.20.3
Fri Dec  8 10:30:41 2017 >>> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.20.2
Fri Dec  8 10:31:11 2017 >>> gnome-base/gnome-session-3.20.2
Fri Dec  8 10:33:08 2017 >>> gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.20.2
Fri Dec  8 10:34:00 2017 >>> gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.20.4-r3
Fri Dec  8 10:35:10 2017 >>> gnome-base/gdm-3.20.1-r1

Mon Dec 11 15:52:20 2017 >>> sys-process/procps-3.3.12
Mon Dec 11 17:00:45 2017 >>> sys-auth/polkit-0.113-r4
Sat Dec 16 00:37:58 2017 >>> gnome-base/gnome-session-3.20.2-r1
Sat Dec 16 00:38:23 2017 >>> sys-process/procps-3.3.12-r1
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I can emerge 0.34.11 from either gentoo or from your overlay to give it a try.

Please try the most recent version (which is slotted in ~) from the project overlays.

It will emerge with USE="-vanilla-shutdown" which changes the shutdown process.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Sorry, missed that part. Was pretty late :P

No problem.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
The following items are in both lists

From this I can see that when elogind was backported, all the packages that should been rebuilt got rebuilt. Later on you also got the fix for the borked ebuild.

I reviewed the GNOME 3.20 packages again and I'm not finding anything. The last test I did shows everything is working.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
dantrell wrote:

Code:

Code:

Thoughts?

Looks good to me.

Great :D
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 19 of 29

Jump to: