Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tallefjant: probably from https://releases.pagure.org/libosinfo/${P}.tar.gz (you can see this in libosinfo-1.0.0-r1)
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Gnome without systemd Reply with quote

Hey everybody!
So just a quick note: im sorta new to linux as a whole and very new to this forum thing so if Im posting in the wrong place I am very sorry! So a little backstory first, I love linux and I started studying computer science this year and I am enjoying it a lot. As such, I wanted to find out how an OS talks to the computer and how it functions and as such I landed here with gentoo. I cant really an opinion about it yet as I have not completed my install yet (what my question is about). The install was not difficult at all (done it twice), the compiling just takes a while, i even compiled my own kernel the first time and used genkernel the second because i made a screw up somewhere. So now I have a basic working system for which I installed vim, git and some other stuff and I can say I have already learned soooooo much because i ran into soooo many problems (looking at u udev with your eth0 renaming nonsense). But its all working now and everything that I added to the run level default of RC works. So now I wanted to install a desktop. I decided to go with GNOME because i dont really like the lay out of kde and I use gnome for my other laptop that runs debian. But i didnt want the systemd as I have read a lot of bad things about it. So i am following this guide:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/GNOME_Without_systemd#Option_2:_Direct_Installation
Howeveeeer I get stuck when I try to emerge the gnome-base/gnome package. At first it said it needed to unmask sys-apps/dbus-1.10.22/24 with an ~amd64 keyword so added those to package.use_keywords_apps as I would think that would solve the problem and those packages didnt show up to cause any conflict anymore but then it said it needed a systemd based package which is what i want to avoid completely so I am kind of confused because I think I messed up somewhere yet I dont think I did. I have the dantrell profile selected gnome 3.22 extended, emerged @world like in the guide so yeah. Can anybody give a beginner a helping hand?[*]
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a support topic in "unsupported software" at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1022050.html for Gnome without systemd - though your issue is a general Gentoo issue with blocks and masks.

You should post/pastebin the full, exact output of emerge, I'm a bit lost at your wording, and the clues are in the output text.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome without systemd Reply with quote

ZappingLinux wrote:
Hey everybody!
Hello.

As Gnome without systemd is not officially supported, I've merged your thread to the existing thread of the same name.
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
There's a support topic in "unsupported software" at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1022050.html for Gnome without systemd - though your issue is a general Gentoo issue with blocks and masks.

You should post/pastebin the full, exact output of emerge, I'm a bit lost at your wording, and the clues are in the output text.

Im sorry if my sentences seem incoherent. Ill try to be more accurate and clear with my wording. I have reinstalled the gentoo base system again and followed the github guide by dantrell to the letter. Please bear in mind I am installing this on a physical laptop and not a virtualbox so accessing and sharing logs is somewhat difficult for me. My currently selected profile is by eselect profile list is: dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.22 and I have run emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world. This went on without conflicts. When I try to emerge --ask --keep-going gnome it says "emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-apps/dbus-1.9.8 [systemd]" " followed by a short list of 8 packages that need that dependency being "sys-apps/systemd-233-r4::gentoo, gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.22.2-r1::gentoo, gnome-session-3.22.2-r1, gnome-online-accounts-3.22, gvfs-1.30.4 and gnome-3.22.2 and also gnome". When I run emerge --search "%@^sys-apps.*systemd $" it says sys-apps/systemd is not installed. I have studied the outputs carefully because usually it gives me clues that I can explore myself but in this case this is all I get. Tell me what to run and I will post the full output here as I just emerged git so that I can push my outputs to github so that I can post them here. Again, i followed dantrells guide down to the letter, it is the emerge gnome step that I get stuck at. Most lf all I really want to understand why it is not working and learn from the experience :)

Edit: profile gnome-22 not 24.
Edit: dont know if its any help but dbus has been added to the default run level (rc-update show)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're truly pulling from dantrell's gnome repository, there shouldn't be a dependency on systemd.

gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-session have a soft dependency on systemd in the main repository.

Unfortunately I do not use the unsupported repository so I don't know what it says, but using the main repository needs to make sure USE=-systemd is set. For gnome-settings-daemon, USE=openrc-force is also needed. I don't know how dantrell changed his repository to ensure systemd is not a dependency, so this information may not be accurate.

"emerge --info gnome" output is also useful to tell which repositories are being picked up.

Also adding dbus to default runlevel should be superfluous; it should be started automatically as needed. I think the no-systemd Gnome still uses consolekit (but not 100% sure) and consolekit-daemon will start dbus.
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
If you're truly pulling from dantrell's gnome repository, there shouldn't be a dependency on systemd.

gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon and gnome-session have a soft dependency on systemd in the main repository.

Unfortunately I do not use the unsupported repository so I don't know what it says, but using the main repository needs to make sure USE=-systemd is set. For gnome-settings-daemon, USE=openrc-force is also needed. I don't know how dantrell changed his repository to ensure systemd is not a dependency, so this information may not be accurate.

"emerge --info gnome" output is also useful to tell which repositories are being picked up.

Emerge --info gnome tells me the repositories are:
Gentoo
Sync-type: rsync
Sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/genroo-portage
Priority: -1000

Dantrell-gnome
Sync-type: git
Sync-uri: https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome.git
Masters: gentoo
Priority: 150.

So i have the dantrell-gnome repo set up but i guess I am not emerging from it correctly? Why else could i get that systemd needs the ebuilds? Also the USE flag -systemd is set in the /etc/portage/make.conf file.
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I think the no-systemd Gnome still uses consolekit (but not 100% sure) and consolekit-daemon will start dbus.

Okay so I found something which may be part of the problem. After i emerge....@world i should have consolekit added to Openrc default. However it wasnt, when I wanted to rc-update add consolekit default, it wasnt there so I emerge'd consolkit and added it. Does this mean that my emerge .... @world went wrong? Since it says it should download the dependencies needed?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again please paste or pastebin the complete output of the emerge outputs (which will have the +-USEflags; also emerge --info and the emerge error seen) ... too little data to figure out what's wrong, or better yet, someone who has done this before as I don't have the contents of the repo handy.

(All of my gnome3 installs are with systemd ... Other than the fact that gnome3 has problems with wine, it seems to be integrated quite well.)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At4ri wrote:
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O :D :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you figured it out. :D

tallefjant wrote:
libosinfo-0.3.1.ebuild should be updated with a new SRC_URI since http://fedorahosted.org/releases/ leads to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Fedorahosted-retirement.

Thanks for the feedback. This issue has been resolved.

ZappingLinux wrote:
Can anybody give a beginner a helping hand?

If you download a recent stage3 tarball and do nothing but activate the project overlays, select a profile and run:

Code:
emerge --pretend --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y gnome

you will get clean emerge output. This means you should not need to fiddle with /etc/portage/* as it pertains to GNOME or systemd. Adding consolekit as a service is also unnecessary if you are running GNOME 3.24 or later as those versions default to an elogind implementation (please reference the official documentation for details).

That said, it looks like you are missing an overlay. You must add both the generic GNOME overlay (i.e. dantrell-gnome) and your preferred GNOME release overlay (e.g. dantrell-gnome-3-24). If that doesn't do it, then please share the full emerge output that produces the error, starting from the emerge command used.

dantrell wrote:
GNOME 3.26 might even be around the corner soon™. :wink:

GNOME 3.26.1 is now available for testing.

Do note that GNOME 3.26 (like 3.24) defaults to an elogind implementation which is not yet covered by the Wiki page. Reference the official documentation to be apprised of changes in the installation process.

The most important step is not forgetting to add and start the elogind service if using a GUI-based login:

Code:
rc-update add elogind default

That said, just a few things:
  • Quite a few packages have moved to the meson build system which might make those packages behave differently than before due to their build options diverging
  • Mutter and GNOME Shell are each temporarily missing one Quality of Life improvement (i.e. the old background code)

saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your hard work :)

Just switched profiles and started compiling 3.26, let's see how this goes.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First bump in the road:

Code:
>>> Emerging (17 of 68) dev-python/pygobject-3.26.0::dantrell-gnome-3-26

Code:
checking for PYCAIRO... no
configure: error: Package requirements (pycairo >= 1.11.1
        ) were not met:

Requested 'pycairo >= 1.11.1' but version of Pycairo is 1.10.0

Unmasked unstable pycairo and it compiled just fine.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one with mutter, this one is a blocker =P

Code:
backends/meta-egl.c:70:3: error: unknown type name ‘PFNEGLQUERYDMABUFFORMATSEXTPROC’
   PFNEGLQUERYDMABUFFORMATSEXTPROC eglQueryDmaBufFormatsEXT;
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
backends/meta-egl.c:71:3: error: unknown type name ‘PFNEGLQUERYDMABUFMODIFIERSEXTPROC’
   PFNEGLQUERYDMABUFMODIFIERSEXTPROC eglQueryDmaBufModifiersEXT;
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
backends/meta-egl.c: In function ‘meta_egl_query_dma_buf_formats’:
backends/meta-egl.c:725:27: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘is_egl_proc_valid_real’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
   if (!is_egl_proc_valid (egl->eglQueryDmaBufFormatsEXT, error))
                           ^
backends/meta-egl.c:329:27: note: in definition of macro ‘is_egl_proc_valid’
   is_egl_proc_valid_real (proc, #proc, error)
                           ^~~~
backends/meta-egl.c:312:1: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘int’
 is_egl_proc_valid_real (void       *proc,
 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
backends/meta-egl.c:728:8: error: called object is not a function or function pointer
   if (!egl->eglQueryDmaBufFormatsEXT (display, max_formats, formats,
        ^~~
backends/meta-egl.c: In function ‘meta_egl_query_dma_buf_modifiers’:
backends/meta-egl.c:748:27: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘is_egl_proc_valid_real’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
   if (!is_egl_proc_valid (egl->eglQueryDmaBufModifiersEXT, error))
                           ^
backends/meta-egl.c:329:27: note: in definition of macro ‘is_egl_proc_valid’
   is_egl_proc_valid_real (proc, #proc, error)
                           ^~~~
backends/meta-egl.c:312:1: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘int’
 is_egl_proc_valid_real (void       *proc,
 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
backends/meta-egl.c:751:8: error: called object is not a function or function pointer
   if (!egl->eglQueryDmaBufModifiersEXT (display, format, max_modifiers,
        ^~~
backends/meta-egl.c: In function ‘meta_egl_constructed’:
backends/meta-egl.c:763:13: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
   egl->proc = (void *) eglGetProcAddress (#proc);
             ^
backends/meta-egl.c:798:3: note: in expansion of macro ‘GET_EGL_PROC_ADDR’
   GET_EGL_PROC_ADDR (eglQueryDmaBufFormatsEXT);
   ^
backends/meta-egl.c:763:13: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
   egl->proc = (void *) eglGetProcAddress (#proc);
             ^
backends/meta-egl.c:799:3: note: in expansion of macro ‘GET_EGL_PROC_ADDR’
   GET_EGL_PROC_ADDR (eglQueryDmaBufModifiersEXT);

Full build log: https://paste.ee/p/VG66u
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
Just switched profiles and started compiling 3.26, let's see how this goes.

Thank you for volunteering. :twisted:

saboya wrote:
Unmasked unstable pycairo and it compiled just fine.

This issue has been accounted for.

saboya wrote:
Another one with mutter, this one is a blocker =P

This one I'm not sure about but I had an idea so sync up and see if that did it.

P.S. I did some more testing and once you get into GNOME about 7 packages don't startup. Everything else works though.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rolled back for now (which brings other issues with glib and gdbus-codegen), will try more after I get some sleep.

I tried to find something about the mutter issue, tried enabling wayland and egl to see if that would work, no dice. But I did uncover another bug: USE_DEP for wayland-protocols has to be bumped from 1.7 to 1.9.

Looking at the source code I'd say I have outdated EGL headers, but I have no idea where that include gets that header from.

*edit* - Another error rolling back:

Code:
 * Messages for package dev-libs/libical-1.0.1-r1:

* ERROR: dev-libs/libical-1.0.1-r1::dantrell-gnome failed (configure phase):
 *   cmake-utils_use is banned in EAPI 6 and later: use -D<related_CMake_variable>="$(usex introspection)" instead
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Again please paste or pastebin the complete output of the emerge outputs (which will have the +-USEflags; also eberge --info and the emerge error seen) ... too little data to figure out what's wrong, or better yet, someone who has done this before as I don't have the contents of the repo handy.

(All of my gnome3 installs are with systemd ... Other than the fact that gnome3 has problems with wine, it seems to be integrated quite well.)

Alright. I ssh'd into my laptop (a lot easier).
The output of "emerge --info":
Code:

Portage 2.3.8 (python 3.4.5-final-0, !../../var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome/profiles/default/amd64/3.24, gcc-5.4.0, glibc-2.23-r4, 4.12.12-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.12.12-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-2430M_CPU_@_2.40GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:     3948772 total,   3478904 free
KiB Swap:     524284 total,    524284 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 68ae0a5e3a71bf3796cd642cbb5e9ee8529ca817
Head commit of repository dantrell-gnome: 9b33af1ecabebce3551b8f365ad7da463490ac0b

sh bash 4.3_p48-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.28.1 p1.0) 2.28.1
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p48-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.1-r2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.12::gentoo, 3.4.5::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.7.2::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.32.1::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.10-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.28.1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            5.4.0-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.4::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.23-r4::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

dantrell-gnome
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome.git
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 150

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.leaseweb.com/gentoo/ rsync://mirror.leaseweb.com/gentoo/ http://mirror.leaseweb.com/gentoo/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo rsync://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/gentoo ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="acl amd64 berkdb bzip2 cli colord cracklib crypt cxx dbus dri elogind fortran gdbm gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gtk gtk3 gtkstyle iconv introspection ipv6 libnotify modules multilib nautilus ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre policykit pulseaudio readline seccomp session ssl tcpd tracker unicode xattr zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau intel vesa" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

The problem I'm encountering "emerge --ask --keep-going gnome":
Code:
emerge --ask --keep-going gnome

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-apps/dbus-1.9.8[systemd]".
(dependency required by "sys-apps/systemd-233-r4::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.22.2-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-session-3.22.3::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.22.2-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.22.5::gentoo[gnome]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gvfs-1.30.4::gentoo[gnome-online-accounts]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-3.22.2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome" [argument])

the profile:
Code:
eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/amd64/13.0
  [2]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop
  [4]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [6]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma
  [7]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
  [8]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
  [9]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib
  [10]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd
  [11]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32
  [12]  hardened/linux/amd64
  [13]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
  [14]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
  [15]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
  [16]  hardened/linux/amd64/x32
  [17]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64
  [18]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64/x32
  [19]  default/linux/uclibc/amd64
  [20]  hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64
  [21]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.14
  [22]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.14/extended
  [23]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.16
  [24]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.16/extended
  [25]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.18
  [26]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.18/extended
  [27]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.20
  [28]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.20/extended
  [29]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.22
  [30]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.22/extended
  [31]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.24 *
  [32]  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.24/extended

as for what dantrell suggested:
Code:
emerge --pretend --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y gnome

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-apps/dbus-1.9.8[systemd]".
(dependency required by "sys-apps/systemd-233-r4::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.22.2-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-session-3.22.3::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.22.2-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.22.5::gentoo[gnome]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gvfs-1.30.4::gentoo[gnome-online-accounts]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-3.22.2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome" [argument])

and the update (I already ran it without issues):
Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

Nothing to merge; quitting.

tried to add the generic overlay:
Code:
layman --add dantrell-gnome

* Adding overlay...
 * Repository 'dantrell-gnome' was already installed

* CLI: Errors occurred processing action add
 * Repository 'dantrell-gnome' was already installed

Just to be save I did layman --add dantrell-gnome-3-24 which gave me the following output for some reason(I thought I was already up to speed):
Code:
layman --add dantrell-gnome-3-24

* Adding overlay...
 * Overlay "dantrell-gnome-3-24" is not official. Continue installing? [y/n]: y
 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman  && /usr/bin/git clone https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome-3-24.git /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-24 )
Cloning into '/var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-24'...
remote: Counting objects: 1047, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (72/72), done.
remote: Total 1047 (delta 9), reused 73 (delta 8), pack-reused 961
Receiving objects: 100% (1047/1047), 2.52 MiB | 1.49 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (292/292), done.
 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-24  && /usr/bin/git config user.name "layman" )
 * Running Git... # ( cd /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-24  && /usr/bin/git config user.email "layman@localhost" )
 * Successfully added overlay(s) dantrell-gnome-3-24.

made sure i had the correct profie:
Code:
eselect profile show
Current /etc/portage/make.profile symlink:
  dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.24

and now i run:
Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/vala-common-0.38.2 [0.36.5]
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/gd-2.2.4  USE="fontconfig jpeg png truetype zlib -static-libs -tiff -webp -xpm" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/gobject-introspection-common-1.52.1 [1.50.0]
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.52.1 [1.50.0] PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="(-python3_6)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-python3_6)"
[blocks b      ] <dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.52.1 ("<dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1.52.1" is blocking dev-libs/gobject-introspection-common-1.52.1)
[ebuild     U  ] dev-libs/atk-2.24.0 [2.22.0]
[ebuild     U  ] gnome-base/gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.24.1 [3.22.0]
[ebuild     U  ] app-accessibility/at-spi2-core-2.24.1 [2.22.1]
[ebuild     U  ] gnome-base/dconf-0.26.1 [0.26.0-r1]
[ebuild     U  ] app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk-2.24.1 [2.22.0]
[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/graphviz-2.38.0-r1  USE="cairo gtk nls -X -devil -doc -examples -gdk-pixbuf -gts -guile -java -lasi -pdf -perl -postscript -python -qt4 -ruby -static-libs -svg -tcl" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-lang/vala-0.38.2 [0.36.5] USE="{-test}"
[ebuild     U  ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.24 [3.22.22]
[ebuild     U  ] x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.24.0 [3.22.0-r2]

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

I said yes and now I am waiting for the compile.

Update: Compile finished. No problems, emerged 13 packages.
Now I run emerge --ask --keep-going gnome which produces a different output:
So it should work now :D

Last edited by ZappingLinux on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
P.S. I did some more testing and once you get into GNOME about 7 packages don't startup. Everything else works though.

Make that 6.

saboya wrote:
I rolled back for now (which brings other issues with glib and gdbus-codegen), will try more after I get some sleep.

Those packages can make rollbacks a bit tricky. You can expedite things by manually downgrading gdbus-codegen, glib as well as anything that complains about glib first then updating @world to take care of the rest.

But you might want to sync up and try building mutter one more time as per my update below.

saboya wrote:
I tried to find something about the mutter issue, tried enabling wayland and egl to see if that would work, no dice. But I did uncover another bug: USE_DEP for wayland-protocols has to be bumped from 1.7 to 1.9.

I corrected this issue.

saboya wrote:
Looking at the source code I'd say I have outdated EGL headers, but I have no idea where that include gets that header from.

I'm pretty sure it started with this commit b7b5fb2 which added zwp_linux_dmabuf_v1 support. This is discussed a bit on GNOME bug #785262. After reviewing things, I decided to remove that functionality for the time being. Sync up and see if it builds now.

saboya wrote:
Code:
* ERROR: dev-libs/libical-1.0.1-r1::dantrell-gnome failed (configure phase):

I corrected this issue too.

ZappingLinux wrote:
Code:
gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

dantrell-gnome
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://github.com/dantrell/gentoo-overlay-dantrell-gnome.git
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 150

dantrell wrote:
That said, it looks like you are missing an overlay. You must add both the generic GNOME overlay (i.e. dantrell-gnome) and your preferred GNOME release overlay (e.g. dantrell-gnome-3-24).

ZappingLinux wrote:
Just to be save I did layman --add dantrell-gnome-3-24 which gave me the following output for some reason(I thought I was already up to speed):
Code:

That was your biggest issue. The rest should be smooth sailing (just be careful when following the documentation).
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dantrell wrote:
That said, it looks like you are missing an overlay. You must add both the generic GNOME overlay (i.e. dantrell-gnome) and your preferred GNOME release overlay (e.g. dantrell-gnome-3-24).

ZappingLinux wrote:
Code:

That was your biggest issue. The rest should be smooth sailing (just be careful when following the documentation).

Yeah it should be working now. In any case thank you so much for being patient with me :D If there are any more actual problems that aren't reading mistakes I will let you know!
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Those packages can make rollbacks a bit tricky. You can expedite things by manually downgrading gdbus-codegen, glib as well as anything that complains about glib first then updating @world to take care of the rest.

Yeah that was no big deal, the file collision was pretty straightforward to solve.

dantrell wrote:
I'm pretty sure it started with this commit b7b5fb2 which added zwp_linux_dmabuf_v1 support. This is discussed a bit on GNOME bug #785262. After reviewing things, I decided to remove that functionality for the time being. Sync up and see if it builds now.

I got to that bug report / that commit as well, but I saw no reason why it wouldn't just work, since those symbols are (theoretically) defined in the EGL headers.

dantrell wrote:

But you might want to sync up and try building mutter one more time as per my update below.

I'm on it, got another issue on media-video/totem-3.26.0:

Code:

Compiler for language vala not found.

Meson encountered an error in file meson.build, line 254, column 6:
Unknown variable "vala_req_version".

Looking at the meson file, the error has to be this line:
Code:
if add_languages('vala', required: false)

But I have zero knowledge about meson, so that's it for me :)

*edit* - To resume my update, I temporatily added totem to package.provided. After this, I bumped into the "outdated Meson" issue with gnome-shell, and updated that. After everything finished compiling, I went back to see if totem would compile and... it did. I don't know if it was Meson >= 0.42 or another package that enabled this.

Last edited by saboya on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.26.1 needs Meson >= 0.42:

Code:
Meson encountered an error in file meson.build, line 1, column 0:
Meson version is 0.41.2 but project requires >= 0.42.0.

Well, that was it:

https://i.imgur.com/XNBOEa0.png

Up and running! Haven't done much testing yet but at first it seems fine.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to fix the mutter issue.

I searched for the EGL headers, and which packaged they belonged to. Unsurprinsingly, they belong to mesa:
Code:
# equery belongs /usr/include/EGL
 * Searching for /usr/include/EGL ...
media-libs/mesa-17.2.2 (/usr/include/EGL)

So I searched for the commit that updated those headers:
https://github.com/mesa3d/mesa/commit/2eee03b7a11339159f9a1f6ef90259caea899048#diff-a334973909bb023aeeae4eaa85b9ab5a

They weren't backported to the 17.0 or 17.1 branch, so they only exist on the 17.2 branch.

So basically mutter needs media-libs/mesa >= 17.2.0.

Copied your mutter ebuild to my local overlay, commented the patch out and tested it: compiled fine.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
But I have zero knowledge about meson, so that's it for me :)

The Meson build system has been my greatest annoyance this time around. :o

saboya wrote:
After everything finished compiling, I went back to see if totem would compile and... it did. I don't know if it was Meson >= 0.42 or another package that enabled this.

Case in point, I reproduced this issue and it was Meson.

saboya wrote:
gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.26.1 needs Meson >= 0.42

And an issue similar to this one was how I discovered, Meson 0.43.0 is broken.

I have now accounted for Meson appropriately across the board.

saboya wrote:
Up and running!

Thank you for volunteering. Next! :twisted:

saboya wrote:
Haven't done much testing yet but at first it seems fine.

I built the full GNOME 3.26 "suite" and from my testing, about 6 packages fail to start for various reasons:
  • GNOME Books (GNOME Documents)
  • GNOME Boxes
  • GNOME Notes (Bijiben)
  • GNOME Photos
  • GNOME To Do
  • GNOME Tweak Tool
I'll be correcting this over time.

saboya wrote:
So basically mutter needs media-libs/mesa >= 17.2.0.

Nice work! The relevant dependency has been adjusted accordingly.
skyrrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: gnome-contacts-3.26::dantrell-gnome-3-26 emaik failed Reply with quote

I'm also about to test 3.26

first i had to edit your gtk+ ebuild and comment out removal of marshalers or it would fail to build:

Code:
src_prepare() {
        # marshalers code was pre-generated with glib-2.31, upstream bug #662109
        #rm -v gdk/gdkmarshalers.c gtk/gtkmarshal.c gtk/gtkmarshalers.c \
        #       perf/marshalers.c || die

next i needed an updated version of meson / like already mentioned
also i had to manually update libgepub-0.5.2 and gegl-0.3.20 (don't ask what packages needed those, it was quite late last night and i really don't remember)

but now i'm stuck with compiling gnome-contacts-3.26
build.log
emerge --info

these are the error-messeges:
Code:
contacts-contact.vala:338.35-338.49: error: cannot infer generic type argument for type parameter `Contacts.Utils.get_first.T'
contacts-utils.vala:148.7-148.28: error: The name `show_uri_on_window' does not exist in the context of `Gtk'
contacts-avatar-dialog.vala:95.5-95.48: error: 2 missing arguments for `void Gtk.Grid.attach (Gtk.Widget child, int left, int top, int width, int height)'
contacts-avatar-dialog.vala:268.5-268.48: error: 2 missing arguments for `void Gtk.Grid.attach (Gtk.Widget child, int left, int top, int width, int height)'
contacts-in-app-notification.vala:46.7-46.37: error: 2 missing arguments for `void Gtk.Grid.attach (Gtk.Widget child, int left, int top, int width, int height)'
contacts-window.vala:152.5-152.59: error: 2 missing arguments for `void Gtk.Grid.attach (Gtk.Widget child, int left, int top, int width, int height)'
contacts-app.vala:114.7-114.28: error: The name `show_uri_on_window' does not exist in the context of `Gtk'
Compilation failed: 7 error(s), 1 warning(s)
contacts-contact.vala:338.35-338.49: error: cannot infer generic type argument for type parameter `Contacts.Utils.get_first.T'
contacts-utils.vala:148.7-148.28: error: The name `show_uri_on_window' does not exist in the context of `Gtk'
Compilation failed: 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: gnome-contacts-3.26::dantrell-gnome-3-26 emaik failed Reply with quote

skyrrd wrote:
next i needed an updated version of meson / like already mentioned
also i had to manually update libgepub-0.5.2 and gegl-0.3.20 (don't ask what packages needed those, it was quite late last night and i really don't remember)

From my machine:
Code:
$ equery depends libmypaint
 * These packages depend on libmypaint:
media-gfx/gimp-2.9.4-r3 (>=media-libs/libmypaint-1.3.0_beta0[gegl])
$ equery depends libgepub
 * These packages depend on libgepub:

On the overlay, gnome-documents dpeneds on libgepub >= 0.4 and gnome-photos depend on gegl >= 0.3.14.

skyrrd wrote:

but now i'm stuck with compiling gnome-contacts-3.26

On the ebuild, remove this line:
Code:
VALA_MAX_API_VERSION="0.26"

And it compiles fine.
skyrrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that did the trick. Now i can give it a propper testing ;-)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 14 of 29

Jump to: