qemu v 2.30 surprise
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: qemu v 2.30 surprise Reply with quote

Hi All:

I'm probably the only person on the planet still calling qemu from the command line and not using lib-virt but there you are.
Ok, did an emerge -uDp world last Friday and got pushed up to V 2.3.0, no problem. Shut down, went home, this morning tried to start up the VM to get outlook up and start on company emails and I get this:
WARNING: Image format was not specified for '/home/jserink/VMs/Win_7_Pro.img' and probing guessed raw.
Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.

Nice....WTF does that mean.
The clearest explanation I could find is here: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-01/msg01414.html
The qemu 2.3.0 change log also mentions it but is completely lacking in details. http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/2.3

So, this is how I fixed it. I Changed the following:
#!/bin/bash
qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -hda /home/jserink/VMs/Win_7_Pro.img -cdrom /home/jserink/CDs/virtio-win-0.1-49.iso -cpu host -m 12288 -smp 2 -usb -net nic,vlan=0,model=virtio,macaddr=52:54:00:00:EE:07 -net vde -rtc base=localtime -vga qxl -global qxl.vram_size=128000 -name Win7 -monitor telnet:127.0.0.1:12997,server,nowait,ipv4 -spice port=15900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing -device virtio-serial-pci -device virtserialport,chardev=spicechannel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent -enable-kvm &

to this:
#!/bin/bash
qemu-system-x86_64 -boot c -drive file=/home/jserink/VMs/Win_7_Pro.img,index=0,media=disk,format=raw -cdrom /home/jserink/CDs/virtio-win-0.1-49.iso -cpu host -m 12288 -smp 2 -usb -net nic,vlan=0,model=virtio,macaddr=52:54:00:00:EE:07 -net vde -rtc base=localtime -vga qxl -global qxl.vram_size=128000 -name Win7 -monitor telnet:127.0.0.1:12997,server,nowait,ipv4 -spice port=15900,addr=127.0.0.1,disable-ticketing -device virtio-serial-pci -device virtserialport,chardev=spicechannel0,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -chardev spicevmc,id=spicechannel0,name=vdagent -enable-kvm &

There is nothing ANYWHERE telling you how to do this. If you're a fool like me and was 'just using' qemu to work and not fiddling with it continually, this is all a bit of a surprise, but never mind.

That's how I fixed my system. It may come in useful to others.

Cheers,
John
schorsch_76
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: qemu v 2.30 surprise Reply with quote

jserink wrote:
Hi All:

I'm probably the only person on the planet still calling qemu from the command line and not using lib-virt but there you are.

No, i do it the same way :D

EDIT: The changelog you showed states:
Quote:

Block devices in system emulation
QEMU will restrict writes to the first sector when an image is autodetected as a raw image, so that the next time the VM is started it will not be autodetected e.g. as qcow2. To avoid this restriction, start QEMU with an explicit "format=raw" option.

git clone https://github.com/schorsch1976/portage
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: