Plasma 5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWStevens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Plasma 5 Reply with quote

Hi there just wondering if anyone has crossed over to Plasma 5 desktop.
If so was wondering how stable it is and is it worth switching to.
I'm currently on kde4 stable and would like to try Plasma 5 but if its not ready I think I'll wait.

Respectfully

Brett Stevens
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1015002.html
BWStevens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

genstorm thanks for that might stay on kde4 a while longer until things look better
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in ~amd64 in Portage now. It basically works and I am able to get production work done having used it for months. However there are some paper cuts and moderate issues which could be major for some people.

- Session Management is pretty broken still. Especially with activities and virtual desktops. Patches have been committed but there will be no chance of it being released as a stable fix until the Plasma 5.4 release in August. Also a full fix relies on some patches to QT.

- Activities are essentially worthless in between sessions. Also some KF5 apps aren't working correctly with activities.

- There is a moderate to severe memory leak in Plasma. Severity depends on some user behaviors and which tray applications you are using. For myself I have 8GB ram and can easily go a week without rebooting however the 'plasmashell' will show as using 1GB of ram when usually it starts somewhere around 200MB when first booted.

I'd suggest waiting until Plasma 5.4 or Plasma 5.4.1. By then the kf5 version of Dolphin should also be released (though maybe not in the regular Portage treee but perhaps only in the kde-overlay). Many of the above issues should be fixed by then. Should you be willing to deal with it though it's still quite usable right now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: