[SOLVED] KDE 5 with OpenRC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hurvajs77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE 5 with OpenRC Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I tried KDE 5 overlay by wiki pages (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Plasma_5_upgrade). I have a problem with startup KDE. On the wiki pages is writen that for OpenRC I must install LightDM not SDDM. I set use flag for plasma-meta, install LightDM. After restart xdm I see only black screen with blinking cursor.

/var/log/xdm.log
Code:
xdm info (pid 9195): Starting
xdm info (pid 9195): Starting X server on :0

X.Org X Server 1.17.1
Release Date: 2015-02-10
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.0.5-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo
Current Operating System: Linux zeryk 4.1.0-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP Fri Jul 3 23:32:40 CEST 2015 x86_64
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda4
Build Date: 07 June 2015  11:07:31PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jul  4 00:01:56 2015
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xdm error (pid 9195): server unexpectedly died
xdm error (pid 9195): Server for display :0 can't be started, session disabled
xdm info (pid 9195): Exiting

/etc/conf.d/xdm
Code:
DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm"

Can someone help, please?

Last edited by hurvajs77 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with lightDM as I have zero experience with it but I will mention that you can in fact use sddm for the display manager with OpenRC and Plasma 5. It mostly works fine and I've been using it for months. However that could change and there are technical reasons to switch. I believe it is mainly due to sddm wanting logind (from systemd) and the lack of good Consolekit support from the sddm developers who refuse to support it (or more accurately to do the work to support it).
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't even getting to your DM or WM.
/var/log/xdm.log wrote:
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
means that you need to configure your Xorg. Don't worry, the documentation doesn't bite. You probably just missed something in the kernel.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
hurvajs77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for answers. There is my mistake, because I changed kernel and forgot recompile nvidia-drivers. Now works. I tried SDDM and LightDM...

Thanks mate.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
I can't help with lightDM as I have zero experience with it but I will mention that you can in fact use sddm for the display manager with OpenRC and Plasma 5. It mostly works fine and I've been using it for months. However that could change and there are technical reasons to switch. I believe it is mainly due to sddm wanting logind (from systemd) and the lack of good Consolekit support from the sddm developers who refuse to support it (or more accurately to do the work to support it).

How'd you get sddm working? I spent about five minutes playing with it, but it refuses to log in to any desktop environment (just dumps back to sddm) and it was a pain to troubleshoot without having a browser open to search, so I gave up and went back to lightdm.
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
davidm wrote:

How'd you get sddm working? I spent about five minutes playing with it, but it refuses to log in to any desktop environment (just dumps back to sddm) and it was a pain to troubleshoot without having a browser open to search, so I gave up and went back to lightdm.

Well I first installed it many months ago but all Id did was basically emerge it, disable my old kdm, enable sddm, reboot.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Display_manager
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM

It looks like maybe the wiki entry leaves out this step for OpenRC (but details it for systemd). If the part below fixes your problem let me know and I will add it to the wiki if no one else does.

/etc/conf.d/xdm

Code:

DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"

'rc-update add xdm default'

(at this point verify that 'kdm' or any other display manager is not appearing under Default when doing 'rc-status')

reboot

I did not even need to play with a config file in any way. I did tweak some settings in systemsettings5 in relation to it but I believe this was only for the halt and reboot commands and this was likely fixed already.
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well talk about obscure and confusing issues. Turns out the version of SDDM shipping with Gentoo does not like ZSH, and possibly more specifically, Prezto.

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/352

Everything seems to be working now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: