Giving systemd a try on sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lariano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Giving systemd a try on sparc Reply with quote

I want to share my impressions of using systemd on a new installation of gentoo/sparc. I used the experimental multilib profile and an up-to-date 3.18.12-kernel for my Sun-Blade-1500. For the first approach I followed the Gentoo Sparc Handbook and configured the traditional openrc boot process. As already mentioned in another post of this forum (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-988668.html), the current silo version needs the compressed kernel image (zImage). The uncompressed image didn't boot on my machine (lost a lot of time with this issue :( ).

After booting with openrc I made the switch to systemd as described in the gentoo-systemd-wiki (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd). It was not very difficult to get the machine running systemd. At the end two problems remained:

• journald creates corrupt log files in /var/log/journal
  • polkitd segfaults and won't start

Both issues are reported elsewhere in forums and doesn't seem restricted to sparc architecture. For the journald problem there are workarounds. I simply deleted the directory /var/log/journal and relinquish persistent log files. I only have log entries since the last boot. It should be possible as well to forward log entries of journald to another logging framework (didn't try that however) having full persistent log files.

The policykit issue is related to a dependency on spidermonkey (libmozjs). I didn't find a workaround so far (upgrading/downgrading - no success):
Code:

[polkitd] Started polkitd version 0.112
[kernel] polkitd[9593]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000f79308c4 (rpc 00000000f79308a4) sp 00000000ff989a50 error 30001 in libmozjs-17.0.so[f7700000+284000]
[dbus] [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1': timed out

Not all functionalities of systemd are available (e.g. localectl doesn't fully work -> configure manually!). This problem seems however not very big (unclear :? ). My system is fully configured (Xorg) and I could install a nice xfce-desktop. The only really big problem is that there is no stable web browser available for sparc.
lariano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Solution found Reply with quote

Found a solution for the polkit problem. I had to downgrade polkit-0.112-r2 to polkit-0.112 thereby downgrading spidermonkey from 17.0.0-r3 to 1.8.5-r4. Now polkit starts fine.

Diabled journald logfiles completeley and forward log message to metalog framework by changing two parameters in /etc/systemd/journald.conf:

Storage=none
ForwardToSyslog=yes

Code:

systemctl list-units
metalog.service                                             loaded active running   System Logger Daemon
polkit.service                                              loaded active running   Authorization Manager
systemd-journald.service                                    loaded active running   Journal Service

The machine boots now without any error and 'Links' as web browser is not that bad :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: