Is it safe tounmerge nepomuk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Is it safe tounmerge nepomuk? Reply with quote

Hi, ALL,
I recently updated my tree and did "emerge -vuD world".

The command failed for the baloo package.

Now I read that it is a substitution for the nepomuk package and now my question is:

Is it OK to unmerge nepomuk?

Thank you.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start with emerge --depclean nepomuk which should always be safe. If that doesn't work, you'll need to find what package depends on nepomuk (equery depends nepomuk) that also got installed or a new version now depends on it. If it's the latter it may be difficult to remove it.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

Code:

equery depends nepomuk
These packages depend on nepomuk
kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.14.3 (nepomuk? >= kde-apps/nepomuk-4.14.3:4[aqua=])
kde-base/systemsettings-4.11.19 (nepomuk ? >= kde-apps/nepomuk-4.11.19:4[aqua=])

Maybe just add "-nepomuk" to make,conf USE-flags and reemerge world with new USE?

Thank you.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIUC if you use any of the KDE PIM applications (kmail, kontact and so on), you'll still need nepomuk - AFAIK baloo only handles indexing file content, not email content.

FWIW, some recent update to kmail finally got its "Search for messages" to work for me. Previously, the only way I could find messages was via Alt+F2.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
But then how do I complete the upgrade?

"emerge -vuD world" insists on merging baloo, but can't do so because of the conflict. And it seems I can't get rid of the nepomuk...

Thank you.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
IIUC if you use any of the KDE PIM applications (kmail, kontact and so on), you'll still need nepomuk - AFAIK baloo only handles indexing file content, not email content.

FWIW, some recent update to kmail finally got its "Search for messages" to work for me. Previously, the only way I could find messages was via Alt+F2.

My bad. I've confused nepomuk with akonadi. nepomuk handles semantic desktop stuff, and is replaced by baloo, whilst akonadi handles kmail stuff, and is still in use.

That doesn't help you with how to progress. The discussion here covers the same problem, but I'm not sure it's the best solution Trouble upgrading system.

It's possible you need to progress via an intermediate step of KDE 4.14.3, which is when baloo was introduced to stable. I'm assuming you're upgrading a system that's not had maintenance applied to KDE since about february.

Trouble is, I can't remember exactly what had to be done. I remember there's an intermediate step - you install the update, which has both nepomuk and baloo. Then the migrator tool described in https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=120047 runs (automatically, AFAIR), and some ini file gets modified to indicate that KDE is using baloo. Finally, you get rid of nepomuk - possibly emerge --depclean does that.

There were some instructions somewhere, but I can't find them!
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, the following is my output from "qlop -lu nepomuk baloo", reflecting the changes from "emerge --update" that introduced baloo to my system:
Code:
Mon Jul 14 16:43:03 2014 <<< kde-base/nepomuk-core-4.12.5
Mon Jul 14 16:43:32 2014 >>> kde-base/nepomuk-core-4.12.5
Mon Feb 23 19:49:44 2015 >>> kde-base/baloo-4.14.3
Mon Feb 23 19:50:10 2015 <<< kde-base/nepomuk-4.12.5
Mon Feb 23 19:51:37 2015 >>> kde-base/baloo-widgets-4.14.3
Mon Feb 23 21:37:47 2015 <<< kde-base/nepomuk-core-4.12.5
Mon Feb 23 21:37:58 2015 >>> kde-base/nepomuk-core-4.14.3
Tue Feb 24 13:54:13 2015 <<< kde-base/nepomuk-widgets-4.12.5
Tue Feb 24 13:54:29 2015 <<< kde-base/nepomuk-core-4.14.3

It appears baloo-4.14.3 replaced nepomuk-4.12.5, and nepomuk-core got updated. Then a second update got rid of the rest of nepomuk (I think an "emerge --depclean").

Looking at the baloo-4.14.3 ebuild, it depends on "!<kde-base/nepomuk-4.12.50", so if your nepomuk is older, that would be the problem - upgrade nepomuk first. That may be difficult - nepomuk has gone from the portage tree now.

I suspect just removing nepomuk is OK - take a backup of your home directories first. It's just the file indexing database engine, so baloo should rebuild the data from scratch, though it will probably take an age at 100% cpu (though faster than nepomuk!).

I found the following comment on the KDE UserBase Wiki article on Nepomuk:
Quote:
The new search databases are in $HOME/.local/share/baloo. If you upgraded to KDE Applications 4.13 from an earlier KDE release, you can delete $KDEHOME/share/apps/nepomuk.

mani74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was brave and just did
Code:
emerge -C nepomuk && emerge --oneshot nepomuk

and baloo was pulled before installing nepomuk-core and nepomuk and all is fine!

YMMV
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: