View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbe2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Use KDE applications in xfce4 Reply with quote

Hi. I'm a newbie to gentoo and I want to install KDE apps in my xfce4 desktop. Actually I want to install GNOME apps too, but I'll start with KDE.
I'm assuming that I have to install the libs that KDE uses in order to install the apps. When I try, I find that it's blocked, or I have to install things that I haven't installed, and no matter how much I mess with it, it won't work. I'm assuming that I haven't chosen the right libs.

Can someone a) tell me if I am going about this the right way?
b) tell me if there is a correct order to install the libs?
c) tell me whether there are additional items to install?

I forget to mention that I am using portage for all my installs.

Thanks,

Bev
Atomic Beef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fbe2. You shouldn't have to install any KDE libs manually to get KDE apps working in XFCE. All you have to do is install the app you want and all of its dependencies will be automatically handled by Portage. I would recommend uninstalling any KDE libs you installed by hand, running
Code:
emerge -ca
to clean up any leftover dependencies, and installing the app you want.
fbe2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: use KDE applications in xfce4 Reply with quote

Atomic Beef wrote:
Hey fbe2. You shouldn't have to install any KDE libs manually to get KDE apps working in XFCE. All you have to do is install the app you want and all of its dependencies will be automatically handled by Portage. I would recommend uninstalling any KDE libs you installed by hand, running
Code:
emerge -ca
to clean up any leftover dependencies, and installing the app you want.

Hi Atomic Beef. I'm sorry if I was unclear. I haven't installed anything by hand. I've installed everything by portage. Here's what happens when I do "emerge -ca":

ptah bev # emerge -ca

* Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
* mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
* be kept. They can be manually added to this set with
* `emerge --noreplace <atom>`. Packages that are listed in
* package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
* depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
* As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
* unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved. As a
* consequence of this, it often becomes necessary to run
* `emerge --update --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.

Calculating dependencies... done!
* Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
* the following required packages not being installed:
* >=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.56[video_cards_radeon] pulled in by:
* media-libs/mesa-10.3.7-r1
* >=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.56[video_cards_nouveau,video_cards_vmware,abi_x86_64(-)] pulled in by:
* >=app-eselect/eselect-opengl-1.0.8 pulled in by:
* x11-base/xorg-server-1.16.4
* >=app-eselect/eselect-opengl-1.2.7 pulled in by:
* app-eselect/eselect-qtgraphicssystem pulled in by:
* dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r3
* Have you forgotten to do a complete update prior to depclean? The
* most comprehensive command for this purpose is as follows:
* emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
* Note that the --with-bdeps=y option is not required in many
* situations. Refer to the emerge manual page (run `man emerge`)
* for more information about --with-bdeps.
* Also, note that it may be necessary to manually uninstall
* packages that no longer exist in the portage tree, since it may
* not be possible to satisfy their dependencies.

This is a typical "emerge" for me. There is usually a 'blocked' package that will prevent the whole thing from succeeding. I have done an 'update' like it says, but that also fails. in fact, at this point nothing that I do succeeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bev
Atomic Beef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I was unclear when I said to uninstall all of the libraries you installed by hand. What I meant when I said "by hand" was all of the KDE libraries you installed through Portage that weren't pulled in as a dependency. Could you post the output of
Code:
emerge --info
in a spoiler? It looks to me as if you didn't set the VIDEO_CARDS variable in your make.conf.
fbe2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atomic Beef wrote:
I'm sorry if I was unclear when I said to uninstall all of the libraries you installed by hand. What I meant when I said "by hand" was all of the KDE libraries you installed through Portage that weren't pulled in as a dependency. Could you post the output of
Code:
emerge --info
in a spoiler? It looks to me as if you didn't set the VIDEO_CARDS variable in your make.conf.

Atomic Beef,
Ok here it is:

Portage 2.2.18 (python 2.7.10-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.8.4, glibc-2.20-r2, 3.18.11-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.18.11-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-4500U_CPU_@_1.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 8061172 total, 6940868 free
KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:00:02 +0000
sh bash 4.2_p53
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.24 p1.4) 2.24
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p53::gentoo
dev-lang/perl: 5.20.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python: 2.7.10::gentoo, 3.3.5-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.12.2-r1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc: 0.13.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13::gentoo, 2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake: 1.11.6-r1::gentoo, 1.13.4::gentoo, 1.15::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils: 2.24-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc: 4.8.4::gentoo, 4.9.2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.7.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.6::gentoo
sys-devel/make: 4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.18::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.20-r2::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
sync-type: rsync
sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
priority: -1000

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64 ~x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="POSIX"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mmx mmxext mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 readline sdl session spell sse sse2 ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics evdev keyboard mouse virtualbox" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel i915 i965 r100 r200 r300 r600 qxl virtualbox nouveau glint mach64 mga nv" XFCE_PLUGINS="menu" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

---

Hope that helps. I may have forgotten the video card in the make.conf. I wasn't certain what to put in there.

Bev
fbe2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Use KDE applications in xfce4 Reply with quote

Atomic Beef,

this is the output of lshw for the video cards (I think)

*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 09
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:42 memory:b0000000-b03fffff memory:a0000000-afffffff ioport:4000(size=64)

Bev
Atomic Beef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fbe2,

Sorry that this post is 10 days late, I'm on vacation and I didn't have internet access for a while. After looking through your emerge --info, I noticed a couple of things.

First of all, your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is set to
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64 ~x86"
which isn't a valid setting in your case. You shouldn't the same arch as unstable and stable in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. You also don't need to set anything for x86, since you are running on a 64-bit system.

The second thing I noticed was that you didn't set the VIDEO_CARDS variable. You can find what to put in the VIDEO_CARDS variable if you search the wiki. In this case, this link is where I found the information. In your case, you need to set VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965".

Your new make.conf should contain
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"
After setting those variables, do an
Code:
emerge -e @world && emerge -e @world
After the emerge completes, reboot and report what happened.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: