Yet another novice :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
branko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Yet another novice :) Reply with quote

Hello Gentoo World!

My first post here. I am considering to switch to Gentoo as my primary Desktop mainly for having fun and learn something new. But first things first which basically means: try to install/setup everything you need for daily use in VirtualBox.

And there I had first problem with virtualbox-guest-additions package. After short investigation I found the problem is version of gcc:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=550202 And that's fine.

Four questions:
    1. How often can I expect similar problems with other commonly used packages?

2. I see this bug is quite old. Is this exception because gcc is very important package?

3. My current distro uses gcc version 5.1.0 (stable) while Gentoo uses 4.8.4 (stable). This does not look to me that Gentoo uses bleeding edge software. What is your opinion?

4. systemd is not default init support system. :( :( Is there any plan to make it default?

Thanks in advance.
bec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another novice :) Reply with quote

branko wrote:
Hello Gentoo World!

From what I read in tha bug's last comment:
    1. How often can I expect similar problems with other commonly used packages?

2. I see this bug is quite old. Is this exception because gcc is very important package?

Not too often. The problem seems to be that gcc developers have not applied the patch to 4.8 versions
    3. My current distro uses gcc version 5.1.0 (stable) while Gentoo uses 4.8.4 (stable). This does not look to me that Gentoo uses bleeding edge software. What is your opinion?

Gentoo stable is a little bit conservative. For more bleeding edge you have to be on ~arch. And even on arch, as Gentoo is based on compiling all sources on your own, it is more safe to have gcc-4.9 for a while. You can install gcc-5.1.0 on arch, but I would suggest to keep in parallel a 4.9 version as default.
    4. systemd is not default init support system. :( :( Is there any plan to make it default?

Not default, but you can use it:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd

I don't know about future plans though
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

branko,

Welcome to Gentoo.

gcc version 5.1.0 will not yet build all the packages in portage. Its there and you can use it if you want to. You get to keep the pieces when it breaks.
There is also the C++ ABI backwards compatibility issue.

There are no plans to make systemd the default on Gentoo. Thats the sort of question that will turn your thread into a systemd flamefest.
You can choose among init systems on Gentoo. systemd is one of the options.

You can have stable, testing, bleeding edge, haemorrhaging edge or even live from the upstream source code repository with gentoo, and mix and match them all.
Stable is the default.

Gentoo is a set of tools you use to build your own distro. Go ahead and do it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: