Constant circular dependencies...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Constant circular dependencies... Reply with quote

Alright, I have a lot of USE flags. However, they have worked fine up until this week. I am installing onto a new system and now I get circular dependencies. Now before I am chewed out for my USE flags, my reasoning is that I want certain things supported in as many locations (pieces of software) as possible. This include things like Kerberos, DVD-related stuff, X on desktop systems, etc. My other option is to have hundreds of individual USE files with the same flags in them.

That aside, here is my make.conf and a picture of the issue. One of them, anyway. If I fix it, others crop up. I initially set this up by reading every line of the "use.desc" file and placing the ones I needed into my global USE flags.
Code:

USE="-systemd -libav -gtk -gnome a52 aac aalib acl acpi alsa audiofile avahi bash-completion bcmath bidi bindist bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdparanoia cdr cracklib crypt css ctype cups curl curlwrappers cxx dbi dbus dga djvu dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr emacs encode enscript exif expat fam fastcgi fbcon ffmpeg fftw flac fontconfig freetds ftp gd geoip gif gimp git glut gmp gnutls gphoto2 gpm graphviz gsl gsm gstreamer gzip hddtemp icu idn ieee1394 imagemagick imap imlib inifile inotify jbig joystick jpeg jpeg2k kde kerberos lame latex lcms ldap libass libcaca libnotify libsamplerate libwww lirc lm_sensors lua lzma lzo mad matroska memlimit mikmod mime mmap mms mng modplug mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mpi mplayer mtp musepack mysql mysqli nas ncurses netcdf networkmanager nls nptl nsplugin odbc ofx ogg openal openexr opengl openmp osc pam pcmcia pcntl pda pdf plasma png policykit posix postscript ppds python qt4 quicktime radius raw readline recode samba sasl scanner sdl sharedmem shorten simplexml smartcard smp sndfile snmp sockets sound speex spell sqlite ssl startup-notification svg svga syslog szip taglib tcpd theora threads tiff timidity truetype udev udisks unicode upnp upnp-av upower usb v4l vaapi vcd vdpau vorbis wavpack wifi wmf x264 xattr xcomposite xine xinerama xml xmlrpc xpm xscreensaver xv xvid zeroconf zlib X"

A gzip archive of my package.* files and flags can be found here. What can i do aside from starting over?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Constant circular dependencies... Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:
... That aside, here is my make.conf and a picture of the issue. One of them, anyway. ...
I don't see your make.conf (but merely the USE section) nor a picture of the issue. Did I miss them?

- John
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I forgot to upload them. I got a call while typing this up and it distracted me. I can post them, but I do not believe that it will help. You see, portage offers me a solution each time, but when I do the solution, I get another set of circular dependencies. I can take a few pictures if you want, but the issue is one which I do understand. Based on my global USE flags, one package depends on another which depends on it. Normally this is several levels deep, but that is the idea.

OH, and I meant my USE flags, not the entire make.conf.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I resolved it by removing "sasl" and "mysql" from my global flags. Now however, I have a new issue. The ffmpeg ebuild doesn't like my CPU_FLAGS_X86 settings. My processor supports mmx, sse, sse2, sse3, and ssse3. Since sse is set, it is complaining that mmxext is not set. My CPU does NOT support mmxext according to the cpuinfo. What do I do?

Also, zlib is stopping the emerge.
Code:

sys-libs/zlib:0

(sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)

(sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5.1-r2:0[minizip] required by (media-video/vlc-2.1.5-r1:0/5-7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

So, how may I resolve these?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add mmxext to your CPU_FLAGS.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CPU does not support mmxext. What happens when software built with mmxext attempts to use it? It would be like specifying 3dnow for an Intel chip. What happens?
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CPU does support mmxext.
You will get 'illegal instruction' error if you specify an unsupported instruction set and try to run software built with it.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth wrote:

Code:
    >=sys-libs/zlib-1.2.5.1-r2:0[minizip] required by (media-video/vlc-2.1.5-r1:0/5-7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

So, how may I resolve these?
That means that zlib must be built with the minizip USE flag enabled. That should do it. ;)

- John
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the minizip flag set. I created /etc/portage/package.use/sys-libs.zlib with "sys-libs/zlib minizip" in it. No change in behaviour. I will double-check my spelling.

Buffoon, if I do "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep mmx", mmxext is NOT in the list, only mmx. I also have sse, sse2, pni (which is sse3), and ssse3. No mmxext.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an ebuild issue. Core2Duo does not support mmxext. The mmxext stuff was AMD, from before the time SSE was around.

Russian guy with the EXACT same issue
Info on AMD's mmxext

This means that no Intel chips support mmxext. As such, the ebuild may be broken.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmxext is a subset of sse2, enabling it is safe with your CPU.

Install cpuinfo2cpuflags and run it.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need to install that. I looked it up and you sir, are correct. I am enabling it. Thank you! In fact, that resolved the issue with zlib. No clue as to why, but this ONE change (adding mmxext) fixed it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffoon,

Not exactly.
mmxext uses the FPU registers, sse2 is a superset of mmxext implemented in extra (new) registers.

The result in that mmx instructions run on a CPU with sse2 without polluting the FPU register set.
That means that the sse2 implementation does not need to preserve the FPU context before these extensions can be used.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: