graphical tools to config country& language
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casualx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: graphical tools to config country& language Reply with quote

hi there
I didnt use any gui apps for configuring my system a long time but now i have to create a installation of gentoo which should be bootable and used for people nearly across the globe.

wasnt a pain to create the sys itself but those users will not be linux skilled enough to configure theyre language settings (I do not mean keymaps btw). Is there a way I can get more modules in xfce/kde-systemsettings that might be able to give users control about the language they want to use? systemsettings seems to be quite empty...
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For KDE, do you have kde-apps/kde4-l10n installed? It picks up the languages specified in the LINGUAS variable in /etc/portage/make.conf and these languages should appear in 'System Settings' > 'Locale' > 'Languages' > 'Country/Region & Language' > 'Available Languages'. In that window the user can select the preferred language(s) and their order of preference. See the window snapshot here.

For example, I have LINGUAS="en en_GB pt_BR es_ES" and so kde-l10n built as:

Code:
[I] kde-apps/kde4-l10n
     Available versions:  (4) 4.14.3(4/4.14)
       {aqua +handbook minimal LINGUAS="ar bg bs ca ca@valencia cs da de el en_GB es et eu fa fi fr ga gl he hi hr hu ia id is it ja kk km ko lt lv mr nb nds nl nn pa pl pt pt_BR ro ru sk sl sr sv tr ug uk wa zh_CN zh_TW"}
     Installed versions:  4.14.3(4)(22:44:12 17/04/15)(handbook -aqua -minimal LINGUAS="en_GB pt_BR -ar -bg -bs -ca -ca@valencia -cs -da -de -el -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -he -hi -hr -hu -ia -id -is -it -ja -kk -km -ko -lt -lv -mr -nb -nds -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -ro -ru -sk -sl -sr -sv -tr -ug -uk -wa -zh_CN -zh_TW")
     Homepage:            http://l10n.kde.org
     Description:         KDE internationalization package

and consequently the languages available in 'Country/Region & Language' > 'Available Languages' in my installation are American English, British English and Brazilian Portuguese. (If I had specified 'es' instead of 'es_ES' in LINGUAS then Spanish would also have been in the KDE list of available languages, as kde4-l10n has a USE flag 'es' but not a USE flag 'es_ES'.)

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: