Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Unknown letters on google chrome and chromium.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Unknown letters on google chrome and chromium. Reply with quote

Hello,

When I try to access some sites my browsers show me unknown letters. Look this screenshot. What I have to do fix it?

Thanks.

Last edited by caaarlos on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of mojibake (garbled characters) looks like a page sent with a single-byte encoding (say ISO-8859-1) to a browser set to expect UTF-8 as a default encoding.

I looked to your screenshot to find the page's URL and found when inspecting the HTTP header that the Content-Type header did not indicate a character encoding. That's not really good: unless a site is sure it will send nothing but straight ASCII, it ought to indicate a character encoding. The HTML in the web page declares itself to be HTML 4.0, for which the default character encoding is that same ISO-8859-1--though given the fact that it's Windows software on the server side, it's likely they're actually sending characters in the very similar Windows 1252 encoding.

All the same, it looks like you have Chromium configured to use UTF-8 as the default encoding. Life would be better if sites were sane and everybody used UTF-8. The trouble is that this one doesn't. Here's what you can do. In Chromium, click on the three-line symbol to bring up the menu, then "More Tools" (toward the bottom of the menu) and then "Encoding". Now click on "Western (Windows 1252)". Now your page should display properly. You might also want to go back through those same "More Tools" -> "Encoding" steps and click on "Auto Detect".
caaarlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, miket!

It solved my problem. This site is from the Brazilian federal government and I think that it is a shame. I'm from Brazil and I dont understand why they do this... But, after all, thank you again!
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caaarlos wrote:
This site is from the Brazilian federal government and I think that it is a shame.

Well, I suspect they're just going after the default behavior and not worrying about it. I took a look at a handful of U.S. government sites. The site for the United States Senate does not send the content type, but the sites for the White House, the House of Representatives, and the Supreme Court do. You'd probably find uneven results in Brazil too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: