Mouse and keyboard don't work in X but do in console
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagrant2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Mouse and keyboard don't work in X but do in console Reply with quote

Hi. I've just installed gentoo on an old machine and was following the directions to setup X at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide . As the topic title indicates, the keyboard works fine on the ttys, but once I start X the numlock light goes out and the keys don't work (except Alt+SysRq combinations). I also installed gpm and I have mouse support in the console, but not in X. My make.conf includes the lines

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i915"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"

The machine is a dell inspiron from 2008 with the default usb mouse and keyboard, so very unexotic.

A thread at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-883988-highlight-keyboard.html has a few people getting similar behavior, but they were able to fix it by re-emerging xorg-drivers and then xorg-server. Didn't work for me.

I also noticed I don't have an xorg.conf.d directory in /etc/X11. I don't know when that is supposed to be created, but it seems like a hint.

Thanks,

John
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg.conf.d directory in /etc/X11 does not exist until created by the operator, not a hint
Try
Code:
emerge -1av xkbcomp xkbutils libxkbcommon libxkbfile xorg-server xf86-video-intel xf86-input-evdev xorg-server
reboot
should be overkill, when up
Code:
startx
if fails,
Code:
wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log
post url returned, wgetpaste is in portage
flagrant2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time, DONAHUE.

I ran the emerge command you specified (xkbcommon was not installed but the rest were) and got the same behavior as before upon running startx: xmonad and an xterm that I requested in my ~/.xinitrc appear, but I had to Alt+SysRq+R-S-E to get out.

The wgetpaste url is https://bpaste.net/show/7b3d909a6980.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xorg.0.log has no reference to evdev and only 2 references to udev. Very unusual.
Code:
emerge -s udev evdev systemd | wgetpaste -t
dmesg | grep -i udev | wgetpaste -t
rc-update show | wgetpaste -t
zgrep -i udev /proc/config.gz | wgetpaste -t
zgrep -i evdev /proc/config.gz | wgetpaste -t
emerge --info | wgetpaste -t
equery hasuse udev | wgetpaste -t

flagrant2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a polite way of telling me I made some bonehead mistake? :lol:

When running make menuconfig before compiling my kernel, I went to Device Drivers ----> Input Device Support and put an asterisk next to Event Interface. Then I ran make and make install, then
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
. My understanding is that this sequence of events should have Event Interface compiled into my kernel and good to go after reboot.

I'll poke around for a way to verify that evdev is working. Thanks again.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely it is udev not working
flagrant2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof. I haven't touched that, literally all I did was follow the handbook pretty much verbatim to install, updated, then started trying to get X working. I guess I'll try switching to eudev, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll see if systemd can do it. Life's hard, man.

I really appreciate your help.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge -s udev evdev systemd | wgetpaste -t
dmesg | grep -i udev | wgetpaste -t
rc-update show | wgetpaste -t
zgrep -i udev /proc/config.gz | wgetpaste -t
zgrep -i evdev /proc/config.gz | wgetpaste -t
emerge --info | wgetpaste -t
equery hasuse udev | wgetpaste -t
post urls should provide possibly diagnostic information
flagrant2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't mark this as solved because what worked out seems so random. I had done absolutely nothing since installation but try to install X, and I realized the only thing I had done that was at all different from the Xorg guide (and my installations on other machines) was that I installed xorg-x11 instead of xorg-server. I reinstalled my whole system and went with xorg-server and didn't touch xorg-x11 and now everything is working. I realize this is a noob thing to do and I fought it tooth and nail for hours, but now my machine works.

Coming from debian, it seems very strange to me that the xorg-server isn't a strict subset of xorg-x11. Debian has similar packages, I think they are called xserver-xorg and Xorg respectively. But installing Xorg pulls all of xserver-xorg plus stuff like fonts and xclock. xorg-x11 in gentoo is not a superset of xorg-server and for some reason installing it first made my mouse and keyboard not work. Reinstalling everything afterwards didn't help, nor did the all-in-one command provided by DONAHUE above.

If anybody can offer an explanation as to why the bigger X package borked my mouse and keyboard, it might be helpful to people who stumble across this thread. I feel like I don't understand what has happened well enough to hassle the gentoo developers/packagers with a bug report. Actually I worry that I did something silly and didn't realize it and have provided misinformation in this post, but all of this is the best of my recollection.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: