View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like a bug where multiple components were involved.

Btw, bug also suggests deleting /home/<insert user name>/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces since it is not in use anymore.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
15.04 was long out before this bug appeared, and according to this comment, unless you use KF5, kdelibs >= 4.14.8 should have it fixed.

And the upgrade to kdelibs-4.14.8 actually *did* solve it for me and others, but I am on pure KDE-4 and not on KF5.

I'm glad it fixed your circumstances but you and the others that had their issue resolved don't have the same exact issue I have with several installations (and there seems to be others with an issue as well).

Quote:
So could it be that you are on KF5?

I'm using KDE4 as it is supplied by Gentoo amd64. I don't have the knowledge to mix KDE4 and KDE5.

Quote:
I think this intermixing of KDE-4 and KF5 that is going on all over the places is making things unnecessarily complicated... :(

The "intermixing" on other distro's doesn't have the issue with Dolphin and Places.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was reported from Arch, openSUSE as well...
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Well, it looks like a bug where multiple components were involved.

Btw, bug also suggests deleting /home/<insert user name>/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces since it is not in use anymore.

/home/<insert user name>/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces keeps being regenerated after any fix I try.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm indeed, this is only fixed (as in, not used anymore) as soon as you update to dolphin-15.04.3 which is only in overlay currently.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have found a possible symptom for my issue. I did a new install yesterday and after initially logging in via kdm I was presented with an error message in KDE. The message basically said that
"/home/user/local/share/user-places.xbel was having a problem being accessed. There are a couple of reasons why: permissions or the disk is low on space. This will be the only time this issue will be reported"
I opened dolphin and the "repeating entries in Places" was fixed.
I continued to load several programs but after their installation I noticed the "repeating entries in Places" issue was back. I had to do another new installation, so I decided to install the addition programs one by one, reboot and then test dolphin. I found that the "repeating entries in Places" issue started after I installed kde-misc/homerun. I did the following and the "repeating entries in Places" was resolved:
1. Disabled kde-misc/homerun via add widgets
2. Executed the following:
rm ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/* && rm ~/.local/share/user*
3. Rebooted
4. Opened and closed Dolphin three times while verifying the correct entries in Places.
I have several other installations with the same problem. I repeated the same four step process and "repeating entries in Places" entries in Places was resolved each time.
I going to create a new thread for this.
Thanks
Warper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.
I had the same problem using Homerun. I've changed homerun and the problem disappeared.
Thing confirmed is homerun

P.D.: Sorry my bad english, thank you
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: