View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWStevens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Dolphin Reply with quote

Hi has anyone had any trouble with dolphin adding the home, trash,root and network folders over and over down the side panel. Every time I close and open dolphin it's adds these icons again. If you open and close it 5 times you get 5 sets of icons going down the panel and I can't find a way to stop it doing it.

Respectfully

Brett Stevens
AndrewAmmerlaan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kde stores bookmarks (and these icons) in /home/USERNAME/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml , you could try editing that file which should remove those icons, but than you would not have these icons at all, and I'm not sure that's what you want, but you could just take a look at it and see if you notice anything odd (like the same bookmark, multiple times in that file). This sounds like a bug I suggest you report it to KDE.
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dolphin Reply with quote

BWStevens wrote:
Hi has anyone had any trouble with dolphin adding the home, trash,root and network folders over and over down the side panel. Every time I close and open dolphin it's adds these icons again. If you open and close it 5 times you get 5 sets of icons going down the panel and I can't find a way to stop it doing it.

Respectfully

Brett Stevens
That is a known and fixed bug: Bug 347246

Solution:
  1. Close dolphin
  2. Update to kdelibs-4.14.8
  3. Delete ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel and ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml
  4. Edit ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml - take out all doubled entries.
Dolphin now should no longer dublicate the base entries.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dolphin Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
BWStevens wrote:

Respectfully

Brett Stevens
That is a known and fixed bug: Bug 347246

Solution:
  1. Close dolphin
  2. Update to kdelibs-4.14.8
  3. Delete ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel and ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml
  4. Edit ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml - take out all doubled entries.
Dolphin now should no longer dublicate the base entries.

I just used the fix that you have presented and wanted to share my results. Here is a photo of the results.
http://imgur.com/wsMCHGR

To basically sum up the results:
6 computers were used
2 of the computers didn't have the problem - A
1 of the computers was fixed after solution was used - B
3 of the computers weren't fixed after the solution was used - C
The solution didn't fully apply to any of the 6 computers. The step: Delete ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml, does not exist.
All computers had been updated within the last 24 hours
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just noticed that I have the issue on another computer, and after deleting ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel (the other file did not exist there, too, but that is not a problem), and editing ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml, the issue remained.

But what I found suspicious is, that my localized (german) variants where once on top, and the doubled entries were all in english.

I fixed it using the following procedure (I have no idea whether the steps after step 1 are really necessary!):

• Removed all ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml* files and let them get regenerated by a start of dolphin.
  • Logged out of KDE and logged into the console.
  • emerge --oneshot kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves kde-apps/dolphin
    (Note: The idea was, that maybe something in the kdelibs upgrade wasn't applied? I know. It is *very* far fetched and very unlikely!)
  • Logged back into KDE
Again, I have no idea whether logging out and re-emerging kioslaves and dolphin are really necessary, but at least the issue is gone on the other machine now.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Yes, I just noticed that I have the issue on another computer, and after deleting ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel (the other file did not exist there, too, but that is not a problem), and editing ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml, the issue remained.

But what I found suspicious is, that my localized (german) variants where once on top, and the doubled entries were all in english.

I fixed it using the following procedure (I have no idea whether the steps after step 1 are really necessary!):

• Removed all ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml* files and let them get regenerated by a start of dolphin.
    (Note: The idea was, that maybe something in the kdelibs upgrade wasn't applied? I know. It is *very* far fetched and very unlikely!)
  • Logged back into KDE
Again, I have no idea whether logging out and re-emerging kioslaves and dolphin are really necessary, but at least the issue is gone on the other machine now.

I tried your updated method and it has no positive effect. I still have multiple entries in "places" for home, root, network and trash.
There has to be another piece to this puzzle that isn't being addressed.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:

• Logged back into KDE

I tried your updated method and it has no positive effect. I still have multiple entries in "places" for home, root, network and trash.
Did you remove the ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml* files with dolphin closed?
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will help in your case, but I had to Unlock Widgets, delete the unwanted folders in the Places panel, then Lock Widgets in order to stop the unwanted folders reappearing in the Places panel in Dolphin.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
I don't know if it will help in your case, but I had to Unlock Widgets, delete the unwanted folders in the Places panel, then Lock Widgets in order to stop the unwanted folders reappearing in the Places panel in Dolphin.

I hope that meant "unlock panels" instead of "unlock widgets"?
I tried to use the unlock panels but it didn't work.
1. I unlocked panels and then removed the unwanted entries by right clicking on each one and selecting remove. Once all but the original 4 entries were left I locked the panel back and closed Dolphin. I re-opened Dolphin with 8 entries.
2. I repeated most of 1. but rebooted the computer before re-opening Dolphin and still got 8 entries.
3. I unlocked panels and close dolphin then removed the unwanted entries by opening konsole and deleting all Bookmark* in ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces. Rebooted the computer before re-opening Dolphin and still got 8 entries.
Thanks for the reply and let me know if I didn't do something right.
Fitzcarraldo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I did mean Unlock Widgets! I clicked on the Desktop cashew ('Tool Box') and selected Unlock Widgets, also selected Unlock Panels in Dolphin, and then deleted the extra folders in the Dolphin panel that I didn't want. Then I selected Lock Panels again in Dolphin and also selected Lock Widgets on the Desktop cashew/Tool Box. I only discovered I had to do that by chance, as I have not seen it mentioned on the Web. I don't know if it will work for you too, though, but give it a try.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Log out of KDE and log into the console.
Code:
rm ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*
Now log back in and see whether dolphin re-adds the four base links on every start.

I am using kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.14.3 and kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3 btw.

Edit: Forgot to mention: "Widgets" are locked here all the time. I did not need to unlock anything.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
No, I did mean Unlock Widgets! I clicked on the Desktop cashew ('Tool Box') and selected Unlock Widgets, also selected Unlock Panels in Dolphin, and then deleted the extra folders in the Dolphin panel that I didn't want. Then I selected Lock Panels again in Dolphin and also selected Lock Widgets on the Desktop cashew/Tool Box. I only discovered I had to do that by chance, as I have not seen it mentioned on the Web. I don't know if it will work for you too, though, but give it a try.

Thanks for the reply but your method doesn't correct the problem either.
Disclaimer:
None of the computers currently have the widgets locked or have they ever been locked since installation except for the one test that was just run.

Last edited by davidbrooke on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
davidbrooke wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:

• Logged back into KDE

Did you remove the ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml* files with dolphin closed?

Yes Dolphin was closed.
I logged out and ctrl+alt+f1 and logged in as root. Then ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml* was deleted. Rebooted and open Dolphin with the same error.
Also I closed Dolphin and opened Konsole, deleted ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*, rebooted, and opened Dolphin with the same error.
BWStevens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Got it to work Reply with quote

ok I got it to work. This is what I did without opening dolphin
Delete ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel and ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml and any other files with these names
emerge --oneshot kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves kde-apps/dolphin
Then I restarted and it hasn't played up since.....
Thank you everyone for help.....
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbrooke wrote:
Yes Dolphin was closed.
I logged out and ctrl+alt+f1 and logged in as root. Then ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml* was deleted. Rebooted and open Dolphin with the same error.
Also I closed Dolphin and opened Konsole, deleted ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*, rebooted, and opened Dolphin with the same error.
That is extremely strange.

The error is, that dolphin thinks the entries are missing and adds them *once*. So if you deleted the files, the first start of dolphin should have regenerated that file, only adding the same places over and over again on successive starts of dolphin.

On the other hand, if you logged in as root and removed something in '~', then you removed in '/root/' and not your users home dir. Could that be the case?
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
davidbrooke wrote:
Yes Dolphin was closed.
That is extremely strange.

The error is, that dolphin thinks the entries are missing and adds them *once*. So if you deleted the files, the first start of dolphin should have regenerated that file, only adding the same places over and over again on successive starts of dolphin.

Yes that is correct but when you continue to open Dolphin over and over and each time it continues to add the 4 more places entries (home, root, network and trash) then that is the problem which I continue to have. I'm not sure why there is confusion on your part. When I say I continue to have the same issue...it is as I have stated unless I restate something different.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you logged in as root and removed something in '~', then you removed in '/root/' and not your users home dir. Could that be the case?

Sorry I used the full path "/home/username/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*" when executing the commands. I just copied "~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*" from the previous post because it was quicker.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it to work Reply with quote

BWStevens wrote:
ok I got it to work. This is what I did without opening dolphin
Delete ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel and ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml and any other files with these names
emerge --oneshot kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves kde-apps/dolphin
Then I restarted and it hasn't played up since.....
Thank you everyone for help.....

Please be more specific as to your steps.
1. Did you boot into the desktop? If so, did you use konsole?
2. If you didn't boot into the desktop, how did you get to console?
3. Also I'm running stable / amd64, what are you using?
Thanks
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, from the beginning:
  1. Log into your system, no matter how. Do not start dolphin.
  2. Get up a console (xterm, yakuake, konsole, it doesn't matter)
  3. $ rm ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel # If it is there. If not, it doesn't matter
  4. $ rm ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml # If it is there. If not, it doesn't matter
  5. $ rm ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*
  6. Make sure you have at least kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.8
  7. Make sure you have kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.14.3
  8. Make sure you have kde-apps/kioclient-4.14.3
  9. Make sure you have kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3
  10. Open dolphin. Places panel should look good now.
  11. Close dolphin and open it again. Places panel should *still* look good.
The last step failed on one of my machines. What I did then was this:
  1. Logged out of KDE and logged into root console (as my user)
  2. Repeated step 3-5 from above. (The first two files should be gone for good, but better check it.)
  3. $ sudo emerge --oneshot =kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.14.3 =kde-apps/kioclient-4.14.3 =kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3
  4. Log back into KDE
On my second machine dolphin behaved normally again after that.

If this still does not work for you, then I am completely at sea here, as the bug should have been fixed with kdelibs-4.14.8 according to this bug.

But maybe, due to gentoo's nature of compiling everything from scratch, something "on the way" got awry and unkeywording KDE-4.14.9/4.11.20 and doing a full world update might fix this issue eventually.
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Okay, from the beginning:
  1. Log into your system, no matter how. Do not start dolphin.
  2. Get up a console (xterm, yakuake, konsole, it doesn't matter)
  3. $ rm ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel # If it is there. If not, it doesn't matter
  4. $ rm ~/.local/share/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml # If it is there. If not, it doesn't matter
  5. $ rm ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/bookmarks.xml*
  6. Make sure you have at least kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.8
  7. Make sure you have kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.14.3
  8. Make sure you have kde-apps/kioclient-4.14.3
  9. Make sure you have kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3
  10. Open dolphin. Places panel should look good now.
  11. Close dolphin and open it again. Places panel should *still* look good.
The last step failed on one of my machines. What I did then was this:
  1. Logged out of KDE and logged into root console (as my user)
  2. Repeated step 3-5 from above. (The first two files should be gone for good, but better check it.)
  3. $ sudo emerge --oneshot =kde-apps/kdebase-kioslaves-4.14.3 =kde-apps/kioclient-4.14.3 =kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3
  4. Log back into KDE
On my second machine dolphin behaved normally again after that.

If this still does not work for you, then I am completely at sea here, as the bug should have been fixed with kdelibs-4.14.8 according to this bug.

But maybe, due to gentoo's nature of compiling everything from scratch, something "on the way" got awry and unkeywording KDE-4.14.9/4.11.20 and doing a full world update might fix this issue eventually.

Thanks for the reply!
There is an added element from step 3 "kde-apps/kioclient-4.14.3" that wasn't present before.
The result was still a failure....meaning the repeated Place entries continues.
Thanks
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post some additional info that I feel is important:
1. The installs that weren't affected, the installation date was during Feb 2015 time frame or before.
2. The installs that were affected and can't be corrected, the installation date was from May 2015 up till last week.
3. I took one the installs that wasn't affected and did a new install using kde-meta (which was the same procedure as previously taken) and the result was same: multiple Dolphin Places entries.
4. All of the possible solutions that have been suggested in this thread were tried on the affected installs without success.

So at this point I may post this bug or wait out a fix due to the current KDE4 to KDE5 transitioning of support.
Thanks
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info I received from the KDE forums concerning this issue was the fix is in version 15.04.1.
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=127176
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post the current bandaid I'm using to help out the issue:
I created a script file:
~/dolphincleanup.sh
that includes:
rm ~/.kde4/share/apps/kfileplaces/*

I execute this script when KDE is shutting down via systemsettings>startup and shutdown>autostart>scriptfile

This way the duplicated "Places" entries are reduced each logout / reboot until the fix.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand this.

I have:
kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3 and
kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.10

and the issue is gone on all my machines...
davidbrooke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
I do not understand this.

I have:
kde-apps/dolphin-4.14.3 and
kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.10

and the issue is gone on all my machines...

It appears we don't have the same circumstances and others over at KDE say there is still an issue that isn't rectified until 15.04.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15.04 was long out before this bug appeared, and according to this comment, unless you use KF5, kdelibs >= 4.14.8 should have it fixed.

And the upgrade to kdelibs-4.14.8 actually *did* solve it for me and others, but I am on pure KDE-4 and not on KF5.

So could it be that you are on KF5?

I think this intermixing of KDE-4 and KF5 that is going on all over the places is making things unnecessarily complicated... :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: