Hostname banned by freenode, how do I get unbanned
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirlark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Hostname banned by freenode, how do I get unbanned Reply with quote

My hostname appears to have been banned by freenode, and I cannot connect to the network, let alone specific channels. I don't abuse the network, but I'm a bog standard home ADSL user, so my IP address changes, and it's possible that someone else with the same provider got that IP recently and got it banned. The freenode FAQ doesn't list any out-of-band ways to comminucate with the network staff to sort this out.

I use pidgin, and I've tried enabling SASL on my IRC account, but when I try to connect I get the message "SASL authentication failed: No worthy authentication mechanisms found.".

Does anyone know of a different way to get in contact with freenode staff to get my IP/hostname unbanned, or what's wrong with my SASL authentication setup.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a proxy. TOR is good, although you may have the same problem until you connect through a tunnel that wasn't banned. Once you get through, you can tell an admin you're an innocent who got mowed down, and hopefully they'll unban your hostname.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The freenode FAQ doesn't list any out-of-band ways to comminucate with the network staff to sort this out.

https://freenode.net/faq.shtml :
Quote:
Please contact support at freenode dot net, providing your IP address to be unbanned.
I do read this as : support@freenode.net - you not ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: