Spotify can't play local files
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
program666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Spotify can't play local files Reply with quote

Just installed Spotify for the first time and it just won't play any music from my library, but it will play the same local files on Windows. When emerging I got the warning:
Code:

* Messages for package media-sound/spotify-0.9.17.1-r1:

* If Spotify crashes after an upgrade its cache may be corrupt.
 * To remove the cache:
 * rm -rf ~/.cache/spotify
 * you need to use the ld.bfd linker with openssl

And I don't even know what that last line mean but but I got the errors
Code:

/opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)
/opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify)

that I read in some other thread that are harmless but I thought about mentioning them.

When I look for help for this problem one of the solutions is aways getting codecs in sketchy as hell sites, that only give you a ".exe" file when downloading, and people on the Spotify forums warning others to not install the adware that comes with, and I would want to avoid it if possible. But I tried other appointed solutions like deleting all my local library from Spotify and then re-importing, installing libquicktime, unmerging it from the system and emerging again and deleting the cache. You guys have any idea?

Last edited by program666 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
program666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally solved this after multiple hours on it, it seems that the problem is most likely a too recent version of ffmpeg, so you have to use an older version. The steps are as follow:
- Download the version 9 of the lib av here http://libav.org/download.html (tarbal http://libav.org/releases/libav-9.18.tar.gz)
- ./configure --enable-shared; make
- copy the .so files to the appropriated places like so
Code:

#from the libav directory, I chose to copy to them to the spotify-client directory to stay separated from the "official" libs installed via portage
cp libavcodec/libavcodec.so.54 libavformat/libavformat.so.54 /opt/spotify/spotify-client/
#spotify will not look for the libavutil on the same directory, only /lib64 or /usr/lib64, so
cp libavutil/libavutil.so.52 /usr/lib64/

That's it.
I used the version 9 ("plain 9") because the version 8 suggested on the original post where I got this solution from, credited below, wouldn't compile for some reason, that will be enough.

To find out what libraries spotify was looking for and in what place you can just run
Code:

strace spotify 2>&1 |grep open|grep lib

Full credits for this solution to this post on the spotify forums: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-Windows/Solved-Linux-Spotify-0-9-4-no-Local-Files-reproduction-after/td-p/689438

Obs: I'm gonna remove the [SOLVED] tag that I had put up because this is more like a workaround and it would be nice to know a better more permanent solution, I mean, that libavutil file on the /usr/lib64 directory might cause problems to portage or something.
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2018 and I am having this issue, Does this solution still fix this problem. Also I am skeptical of installing old, outdated software outside of portage. Is anyone else having this problem still?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even add local tracks to spotify, it's a really old bug and they probably won't fix it.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libav-9 is still available on portage, if you want to try.
Alexander88207
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https:www.github.com/Alexander88207/Spotify-Local-Files-Fix

Last edited by Alexander88207 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, i just checked spotify-1.0.94 and it seems to be working now

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander88207 wrote:
I have created a script to fix that easily :D
You may be well intentioned, but please do not do this. First, you are advocating that people download and run as root a shell script written by someone with no reputation. Second, your script only works on amd64 systems. Third, anyone who actually runs your script will clobber files in /usr/lib64 or drop orphans there. Both are a problem.
Alexander88207
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Alexander88207 wrote:
I have created a script to fix that easily :D
You may be well intentioned, but please do not do this. First, you are advocating that people download and run as root a shell script written by someone with no reputation. Second, your script only works on amd64 systems. Third, anyone who actually runs your script will clobber files in /usr/lib64 or drop orphans there. Both are a problem.

I actually only summarized what "program666" said because it worked. Anyway, thanks, I've just left some instructions on how to do it. End
Lysio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
actually, i just checked spotify-1.0.94 and it seems to be working now

I can confirm this is working (at least for me) with the latest version of Spotify now
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

program666 wrote:
I finally solved this after multiple hours on it, it seems that the problem is most likely a too recent version of ffmpeg, so you have to use an older version. The steps are as follow:
- Download the version 9 of the lib av here http://libav.org/download.html (tarbal http://libav.org/releases/libav-9.18.tar.gz)
- ./configure --enable-shared; make
- copy the .so files to the appropriated places like so
Code:

#from the libav directory, I chose to copy to them to the spotify-client directory to stay separated from the "official" libs installed via portage
cp libavcodec/libavcodec.so.54 libavformat/libavformat.so.54 /opt/spotify/spotify-client/
#spotify will not look for the libavutil on the same directory, only /lib64 or /usr/lib64, so
cp libavutil/libavutil.so.52 /usr/lib64/

That's it.
I used the version 9 ("plain 9") because the version 8 suggested on the original post where I got this solution from, credited below, wouldn't compile for some reason, that will be enough.

To find out what libraries spotify was looking for and in what place you can just run
Code:

strace spotify 2>&1 |grep open|grep lib

Full credits for this solution to this post on the spotify forums: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-Windows/Solved-Linux-Spotify-0-9-4-no-Local-Files-reproduction-after/td-p/689438

Obs: I'm gonna remove the [SOLVED] tag that I had put up because this is more like a workaround and it would be nice to know a better more permanent solution, I mean, that libavutil file on the /usr/lib64 directory might cause problems to portage or something.

OK after over a year still dealing with this issue (In hopes that this would be fixed up stream) I finally decided to try this work around, for some reason though this didn't seem to work for me. I used libav-9.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't need to do any of that libav stuff, installing 1.0.94 was enough... haven't tried the latest version to see if they broke it again.

<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just "downgraded" from 1.0.96 to 1.0.94 and still noting, I made sure to remove those libav shared object files too.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still works for me on 1.0.98

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: