Running Gentoo on a MyBook World White Light Edition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Running Gentoo on a MyBook World White Light Edition Reply with quote

I have one of these drives and would like to throw Gentoo on it. I already did this to my MyBook Live awhile ago.

Unfortunately, the processor is an OXNAS810 and has some proprietary pieces and it runs on 2.6.24. I tried building it, but when I chroot into the directory it says "Kernel too old", which ground everything to a halt.

Is there a way to build Gentoo with a custom profile so it will only build pieces that are compatible with a specific kernel?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity: is there a way to build a nwer kernel? or get the stuff which was used for your current kernel? so you could adopt it?
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
Just out of curiousity: is there a way to build a nwer kernel? or get the stuff which was used for your current kernel? so you could adopt it?

I wish. I'd love to build a 3.x or 4.x kernel on this and the MyBook Live.

At least I can run 2.6.32 on the MyBook Live.. and (surprisingly) it's still getting updated (.67). It looks like 2.6.24 died at .7, though.

The MyBook World Edition White Light Edition runs an OX810 processor. The MyBook Live runs an APM82181. Unfortunately, they only developed support for specific embedded projects, like NAS devices. Kernel support was only for that particular branch and some of the drivers were binary only. So, I'm stuck with 2.6.24 for the MBWE and 2.6.32 for the MBL.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good. I disassembled the drive, wiped it, installed Debian (temporarily), and I'm able to chroot into the Gentoo environment. Stinks that I can only use ext3 (I'd rather use ext4), but I'm not complaining.. much.

Now comes the fun part, dependencies. Especially udev, because it keeps telling me that .32 is required. I'm looking at eudev, but what is the minimum kernel version it will accept? I'm using linux-headers-2.6.24 as well as kernel-2.6.24.4 (until I can bump it to .7).

BUT.. it did compile GCC 4.9.2. Took awhile, but it did finish up. Now for the rest of the system.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just convert ext3 => to ext4, thats possible on the fly afaik

You may use a longterm supported kernel, 3.18 is recommended from my side now.

and kernel, i switched today from 3.10 to 3.18 longterm supported kernel. 3.10 branch longterm support ends in september 2015.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue with that was proprietary drivers that were stuck on 2.6.32. Fortunately, someone ported the drivers to 4.0/.1 and both MyBook Live drives works perfectly.

Unfortunately, I'm having to figure out the MBWE White Light. It's really stuck on 2.6.24.x and the partition and the drive layout is a headache to say the least.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: