Unreadable Fonts on Tint2 and Other Applications [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atomic Beef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Unreadable Fonts on Tint2 and Other Applications [Solved] Reply with quote

Hello fellow Gentooers! I'm having a strange problem that for the life of me I cannot figure out how to solve. Basically what happens is that on tint2 and some other applications(I've mainly noticed it on obconf and gksudo) the font rendering is super blocky and unreadable. This is especially the case when it comes to tint2, as the text gets very small and whole letters become blank. What's weird is that on other applications like Firefox and urxvt, nothing seems out of the ordinary and the font rendering is very good. I'm using the infinality patchset, media-fonts/dejavu, media-fonts/font-bh-ttf, media-fonts/font-bh-type1, media-fonts/freefonts, media-fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera, and media-fonts/unifont media-fonts/artwiz-aleczapka-en.

I have read over this guide and the font rendering was working great until last night. I had run an emerge -ca, and after that my fonts got messed up. Sounds like I accidentally unmerged a set of fonts right? Well, searching through emerge.log showed no such thing and no font related packages were unmerged. It definitely looks like the applications with messed up fonts are falling back on ugly, unhinted and aliased fonts, but I can't figure out why. I have all the fonts that I usually have installed and enabled in eselect fontconfig, so this shouldn't be happening. For good measure, I even reinstalled them all but the problem still occurs. Does anybody have any ideas on what's going on?

Last edited by Atomic Beef on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Atomic Beef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have found the problem. The fonts stopped working around the time I started adding entries to .Xresources to make urxvt have better font rendering. A couple of minutes ago, I deleted my .Xresources and created a minimal configuration. After merging the file and restarting X, all of my fonts looked great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: