Apple Network Server?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwistedKestrel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Apple Network Server? Reply with quote

Apologies if I'm blatantly disregarding post conventions for this section, I'm not sure what they are.

But I'm constantly on the lookout for a 'cheap' Apple Network Server, and I'm pretty sure I will come across one eventually. Has anyone out there ever tried to mix Gentoo and one of these beasts? I think the RS/6000 B50 info in this week's newsletter may be relevant, but of course I don't have an ANS *yet*, so I can't be sure.

The main reason I'm asking is that if anyone says "no, it's impossible", I'll drop the ANS project entirely. If anyboy out there says "yes, but ..." or "maybe because ...", well, then I'm still go. :P As far as I know, the biggest obstacle is managing to boot anything with the Open Firmware business. I have no idea where to find documentation on it, so it all sounds kind of dangerous to me.
FyreFiend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for coming to the party late.
From This it looks like it's pretty close to a PM9500 minus the ability to actually boot into MacOS.

I know it's not much info but it looks like someone was able to get another Linux DIstro running on it so maybe Gentoo can ge shoe-horned in.

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: