Suspend broken after upgrading xfce4-power-manager
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Suspend broken after upgrading xfce4-power-manager Reply with quote

The new version of xfce4-power-manager arrived in portage (1.5.0). It also required me to switch from upower-pm-utils to upower. What could go wrong I figured?

Well, now suspend is broken. Suspending from Xfce's logout panel dutifully locks the screen, but never ends up actually suspending. If I run xfce4-power-manager in the foreground with debug enabled, I get no log regarding suspend at all and there is no syslog regarding it either.

Yes, I can suspend by issuing 'pm-suspend' just fine, so suspend itself is working. Just not from within Xfce. Other power-related things like battery monitoring and brightness settings also work fine.

Any ideas?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong, did you get systemd pulled in (hard mask it if you didn't want it!)? Need to get rid of upower/systemd, you should still be using upower-pm-utils for xfce4 with consolekit.
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Something is wrong, did you get systemd pulled in (hard mask it if you didn't want it!)? Need to get rid of upower/systemd, you should still be using upower-pm-utils for xfce4 with consolekit.

I definitely do not have systemd ;) That's been hardmasked on my system for a while now.

xfce4-power-manager-1.5.0 definitely depends on sys-power/upower alone. Earlier versions also allowed for upower-pm-utils but it seems that changed.
http://gpo.zugaina.org/xfce-extra/xfce4-power-manager/Dep

Does that mean that >=xfce4-power-manager-1.5.0 requires systemd now? By Linus' middle finger....
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just saw that now... this seems a bit wrong, wonder if there's a ebuild bug on this. It should not require upower-99 but rather use upower-pm-utils...

Try submitting a bug against Gentoo, I have no idea if it will still work with the old upower-pm-utils, hope so...

Oddly enough I don't think I have xfce4-power-manager installed on one of my machines yet that machine's logout window still gives me the option to suspend/hibernate (which I had to manually disable). Weird.

Ugh: upstream post:

https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2015-May/000423.html

Last edited by eccerr0r on Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2015-May/000423.html
Quote:
* Bumped dependencies:
- UPower>= 0.99

Found the reason. I'm assuming upower-pm-utils has no equivalent of upower-0.99?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should be functionally equivalent... or rather the pm-utils has more functionality I'd think. I though upower-99 was -less- functional, requiring systemd to do the suspend/resume/hibernate.

I'd hack the ebuild and see if it will work with the old upower-pm-utils... In fact I may end up having to try this on my xfce4 laptop.
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how that goes! I would try it, but I've already spent enough time fixing things for now.

In the meantime, I went back to upower-pm-utils and masked xfce4-power-manager-1.5.0. On the plus side, the prevous power-manager version uses the correct panel icon on my dark panel, too :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a while before I try this. xfce4-power-manager-1.5.0 is ~x86 a the moment. I guess I'll look at it when it's keyworded for x86 (I run stable x86 on this laptop since it's an Atom and slow, don't need any more unneeded upgrades and downgrades)...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: