Configuration issues between xorg and xinitrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Techbart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Configuration issues between xorg and xinitrc Reply with quote

Hi all. Apologies if this issue has been addressed already, but I've spent the last week trawling every forum from Arch to Slackware to Gentoo, and while there are various setups that work for setting up window managers from a barebones 'nix install, they all seem to be assuming a fully functional xorg/xinit setup that is able to locate the default local screen.

Basically, I'm attempting to setup a window manager with compositing enabled, as I feel this will allow me to get the smoothest performance from the limited power I have available (Atom N280-based netbook), given that compositors such as compiz and kwin require very little power compared to the likes of Unity and Gnome 3. I've so far confirmed that, after a fresh stage 3 install using an SELinux profile, I'm able to start an X session with no problems. I've so far tested twm, XFCE and LXDE, all of which are able to run with their automatic configuration upon install of said packages. However, I've noticed that I'm unable to generate a working xorg.conf file, I have no entry for DISPLAY in my env.d, and I can't for the life of me figure out what configuration xinit is using to successfully launch an X environment. I can only assume that whatever configuration XFCE and LXDE have used is able to address the correct configuration to use by itself. This is great for getting just an X session running, but as I have no idea what settings they're using, I can't replicate it for anything that requires compositing such as compiz.

I've also confirmed that dri can be used in both LXDE and XFCE, as I'm able to return normal results from glxinfo, and glxgears works fine. Oh, and I've checked dmesg for traces of my display drivers having conflicts, and receive no relevant errors. What generally happens whenever I attempt to run "startx" with a simple xinit script that has been confirmed to work for countless others on various setups using myriad X environments, all I ever see if "cannot find display". This is only if I attempt to run "startx" by itself, while trying to load emerald or compiz, but the issue is resolved if XFCE or LXDE is handling the X session. So yeah, any enlightenment on this problem would be much appreciated. Cheers!
Techbart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems I've managed to address most of my confusion. It seems that everything I was attempting to do would have worked perfectly, had I taken into account permissions for root vs standard user account, and how xorg interacts with root. After stripping everything back to just X11, lxpanel, emerald and compiz, and using configuration for xinitrc a user in these forums has posted (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-937596-view-previous.html?sid=f02b8059ecf84cd93c723909ad13a349), everything works as expected.

However, if anyone could spare a minute, could someone let me know if xinitrc is the first thing that is used to load an X session after issuing "startx"? As I understand, X looks for a .xinitrc or .xserverrc file in a user's home directory, and failing that resorts to using the xinitrc script saved in /etc/X11/xinit, and as I've read elsewhere, xorg has another fallback in its own xorg.conf files somewhere also. Would just be nice to know for reference that this behaviour is typical in running X sessions, as I'm trying my best to fully understand how things work from the ground up, rather than just leaving something alone when things "just work".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: