Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sidetracking the sidetrack: successful troll is successful.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idella4 wrote:
4. you have not yet managed to come even close to employing a more conciliatory tone. But first you have to acquire the skillset to possess one
@idella4, big mistake of you to attack steveL on a personal level. There is no other user skilled like steveL to act in every style or mood he wants to. And I doubt he ever written down anything in his posts without purpose: You will end up seen as a stalker of him. Any Gentoo developer popping up in the forums had a better outcome?

PS: Forgot his conciliatory tone to you of just yesterday?
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:

big mistake of you to attack steveL on a personal level. ]

This merely illustrates you can't distinguish attack personal level from a critique of the points he poses. A personal attack is to demean a personal quality be it a physical attribute or an intellectual one. I suppose at a pinch you could argue the level of development a communication style is a personal one, but meh. An attack is one that insults or denigrates. An assessment of the level of the development of his communication skills acknowledges at least he has acquired some rudimentary level from legitimate forms of acquisition
ulenrich wrote:
There is no other user skilled like steveL to act in every style or mood he wants to

This looks and sounds so close to how that dev claimed that devs "can pick and choose what and how it is they do what they do as they see fit" that it is quite disturbing. devs have been made out to be a law unto their own choosing but do not dare apply the same rule to steveL. Hmm I see

ulenrich wrote:
You will end up seen as a stalker of him. Any Gentoo developer popping up in the forums had a better outcome?

Oh! steveL has a history of generic derogatory comments of any nick bearing a red badge. This comment is outright inflammatory. It's not a personal attack. it's calling it out for what it is. You clearly imply any Gentoo developer popping up in the forums offering comments for whatever purpose has done nothing more or better than than stalk steveL or generally harass users.?..?
Well, compare that against the perception that SteveL who has already established the appearance of a stalker of any contributor, a dev, blaring a red badge.

ulenrich wrote:
PS: Forgot his conciliatory tone to you of just yesterday?

Nope.Like I said he has at least made a start.
Here is the only snippet I shall quote from steveL

setevL wrote:
I don't accept your slipped-in accusation of "flaming" at all. I thought you'd understood that "negative descriptions of bad behaviour" are much like "negative descriptions of bad code"

I wasn't going to reply to this thread at all until I showed it to a current mentoree who shall remain both nameless and nickless to respect his anonymity. (Respecting is a good thing) Here is his reaction
" Eh, I think SteveL is still too inflammatory. No, I just think he has a hard on for hating against devs"
You can reject these slipped-in accusations all you want. Like it or not you have already made an impression. it was this which lead to deciding to reply and add the comment about not even close.

The purpose or point of this whole entry isn't to brow beat and counter argue more intelligently or strongly, rather something else more fundamental. To illustrate the overall negativity achieved by this whole thread. It stands as a classic example of brash accusation replied to by indignation and more brash indignation, resulting in escalation upon escalation.
Who benefits? Gives the moderators something to moderate
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing your true stripes idella4.

Since you're yaf developer with a hard-on for derogating me, I'll leave you to it.

Just don't get into a hissy-fit when your "ideas" are shot-down, since as you've stated above a critique of someone's ideas is not an attack on their person (much as I stated in the previous post.)

Glad we agree on that, at least.

Next time, I suggest you inform yourself of all those things you haven't seen, before wading in to pass judgement based on ignorance.
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know nothing of my true stripes. I sympathise with your position more than you know, however the point I finish here is that you appear to have settled on becoming a dedicated warrior, pit against most any dev that comes into your sights. Your last post smacks of persecution complex. In other words you are playing the ultimate victim.
Your stance is defensive to an extreme and largely uncompromising. You make my point re lack of a conciliatory tone. The sad thing is though that it was those of my badge are mostly responsible for forging you as you are today. I say mostly. It would be absurd to dump the total responsibility onto surly devs. The culpability is to be shared. Certainly they seem to have antoginised you. Oh, and "pass judgement" is the one thing I don't do so I don't cop that.
I have neither interest nor intent to invoke any case based on CoC for there is none. I have no interest in stalking you or pursuing any theme or interest in you. It was a fellow dev to whom I initially replied after all. You put yourself in front of me post that exchange. It would be optimal to exchange amicably however it would appear that with the stance you have arrived at, you expect and hence perceive interactions from devs to be derogatory in nature. I am totally comfortable in confronting you or anyone since it's the communication style that I dissect and target, not the person behind it. In your case therefore i haven't got anywhere near the person SteveL yet since the layers of bitterness and defensiveness are still being peeled back. I can be friendly and supportive, any time you're up to dealing with it. Ask the moderators around here.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again with the cod psychology. You really should stop for a breath before going on with diatribe-3

I've gone from being "bitter and flaming", to having a "hard-on for denigrating developers" and in your haste to argue with ulenrich, you didn't even notice that he was arguing on the same side (since you've made this into an oppositional conflict) as you, which led you to try and outdo his hyperbolic criticism of me, with even more nonsense:
idella4 wrote:
devs have been made out to be a law unto their own choosing but do not dare apply the same rule to steveL.

steveL has a history of generic derogatory comments of any nick bearing a red badge.

SteveL has already established the appearance of a stalker of any contributor, a dev, blaring a red badge.

Utter crap.

Now I'm "playing the ultimate victim" which just shows how politically-inept your argumentation is.

As usual, all you are doing is trying to personalise the discussion, to deflect attention away from the real issues, and try to make it about me, when it's self-evident to anyone with half a brain-cell that developer nastiness has got fsck-all to do with me.
Especially since I haven't even been on any developer media for at least 18 months.

It would be nice if you did take same time out to reflect, and maybe even realise that your prior post was an unjustified, unfair and offensive rant.
I won't hold my breath for you to apologise like a man, since there's no fool as stubborn as an old fool.

And in all fairness, I've never seen an ebuild developer apologise on these forums for social stupidity.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
And again with the cod psychology. You really should stop for a breath before going on with diatribe-3

I've gone from being "bitter and flaming", to having a "hard-on for denigrating developers" and in your haste to argue with ulenrich, you didn't even notice that he was arguing on the same side
Shit, you got it. I was hoping this misunderstanding could have therapeutical effects and I kept quiet.
I wished
Quote:
Especially since I haven't even been on any developer media for at least 18 months.
this 18 months going on war of yours in the forums could have an end. In my fantasies about it I imagined the Gentoo Foundation had hired a female psychologist called "idella4" to heal our wounds.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not waging a war, though. Merely expressing opinion as and when the subject comes up.

Nice try to slip that in there, but it's not going to work. Thanks for illustrating why I have to be on the ball though.

FTR, "politically-inept" should have been "sociopolitically-inept" and "for social stupidity" should be "for a display of social stupidity" (or w/e the opposite of emotional intelligence is.)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from "Proposal for the Gentoo Council to adopt a stricter CoC". As implied by the title, ulenrich, just stop it already.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: