dev-qt:4 versions/packaging/roadmap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: dev-qt:4 versions/packaging/roadmap Reply with quote

I apologize if this is a faq or if the answer is clear. I haven't found it yet. I'm interested in the roadmap for Gentoo support for dev-qt/qt*:4

For example, today portage shows ebuilds for dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.6-r2, dev-qt/qtwebkit-4.8.6-r1, etc. This qtwebkit ebuild produces /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtWebKit.so.4.9.4.

Meanwhile other distros are showing libQtWebKit.so.4.10.2. There are some critical fixes in this more recent revision of qtwebkit. How can I build this generation of dev-qt/qt* on Gentoo?

I've looked at the qt layman overlay and actually built dev-qt/qtwebkit-4.9999 (builds from git), but I was surprised to see that it produces the same libQtWebKit.so.4.9.4 as the stock dev-qt/qtwebkit-4.8.6-r1 ebuild. I thought I would have been picking up some bleeding edge :4 library...

Anyway I'd like to learn if there is some way I can build a more updated dev-qt/qt*:4

Then academically I'm wondering if there is some guidance on the roadmap for managing the revisions & packaging of the dev-qt libraries in portage.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ship the latest official releases from upstream Qt. libQtWebKit.so.4.9.4 is the latest version included in a release of Qt4.

I think libQtWebKit.so.4.10.2 might be from QtWebKit-2.3, which is independently packaged. We have a provisional dev-qt/qtwebkit23 ebuild in the qt overlay.
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yngwin, I'll investigate that package.

EDIT - that did the trick. There are collisions that must be managed (bypassed) with the dev-qt/qtwebkit and dev-qt/qtdeclarative packages, but so far so good.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin, on a not quite related note: recently I've read quite a few unflattering opinions about QtWebEngine, mostly wrt. bundling.

How will this be handled in Gentoo ?
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:
yngwin, on a not quite related note: recently I've read quite a few unflattering opinions about QtWebEngine, mostly wrt. bundling.

How will this be handled in Gentoo ?

I haven't really looked into this yet, but we have a policy to remove bundled libs as much as possible.
kensington
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to move qtwebkit23 to the main tree soon for wider testing. Progress is being tracked in bug #388207.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: well, AFAIU, QtWebEngine is pretty much chromium and as much as I don't use that browser, I've still managed to to notice quite a few long term bugs in bugzilla about it (that is unless the maintainers already decided to wave the white flag).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: