Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
windowmaker: too small fonts after update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
multix
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: windowmaker: too small fonts after update Reply with quote

Hi,

after upgrading "world".. that is everything. I noticed that windowmaker has absurdly small fonts. Menus, windows titles... look like drawn in size 8/9 instead of the standard 12, even if 12 is selected in the preferences.
Other applications, like Firefox look fine.

At first, I thought it could be a problem related with the savage driver, resolution and monitor detection. But I get this problem after updating on another laptop where the ATI radeon driver is used and everything is "fine".

Before the update, on both machines windowmaker looked fine.

Ideas?
_________________
Unix is user friendly. It is only careful selecting its friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 14 Oct 2006
Posts: 6193

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've said next to nothing about your setup...

However, if media-libs/fontconfig-2.11.93 is installed, well it's got issues.
Still, it might be the problem that's already been fixed in the git, in "Fix bitmap scaling" commit from 2015-04-30.
As it affects only one of the config files, it should be easy to test.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lost+found
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 508
Location: North~Sea~Coa~s~~t~~~

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

multix wrote:
....


I also see this happening, starting from scratch in an empty user account. The fonts become better selecting a theme in the main menu, or selecting a default font in WPrefs. The latter contains a new `System font' setting. So, I suspect the issue is due to the source code changes for that.

BTW, I'm using the git `next' version of Window Maker (live ebuild here - not so `live' if a fixed commit is inserted). It might be interesting for you too, because it's got a fix for memory corruption when running GNUstep apps...

There is one strange thing left IMO. The focused GNUstep menus appear in all workspaces since a commit related to window hints, or sometimes there is more than one menu visible at the same time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
multix
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

nice to know that I am not the only "stepper" here...
My WindowMaker setup is basic: it should just use traditional Helvetica 12.

I do have fontconfig 2.11.93 installed
Windowmaker is at version 0.95.6
Xorg-server is at version 1.17.1-r1

Both laptops I am seeing this problem are classic x86/32 machines, but I noticed the same problem also on an amd54 machine.

what else of my setup could be meaningful?

The problem appears to be the rendering of the Helvetica font, a bitmapped font, everywhere it is used in windowmaker, already in the preferences panel.
_________________
Unix is user friendly. It is only careful selecting its friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
multix
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to run
Code:
xfontsel
?

I don't, I get:
Code:

$ xfontsel
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
Error: Aborting: no font found



which doesn't look very promising!!
_________________
Unix is user friendly. It is only careful selecting its friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lost+found
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 508
Location: North~Sea~Coa~s~~t~~~

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multix wrote:
Hi,

nice to know that I am not the only "stepper" here...
My WindowMaker setup is basic: it should just use traditional Helvetica 12.

I do have fontconfig 2.11.93 installed
Windowmaker is at version 0.95.6
Xorg-server is at version 1.17.1-r1

Both laptops I am seeing this problem are classic x86/32 machines, but I noticed the same problem also on an amd54 machine.

what else of my setup could be meaningful?

The problem appears to be the rendering of the Helvetica font, a bitmapped font, everywhere it is used in windowmaker, already in the preferences panel.


The only thing I can add, is that I'm using the (older) Gentoo stable versions of fontconfig and xorg-server, wmaker from git `next'. Here WMaker picks Dejavu Sans as default font. Which looks good in my user account, but odd in a new empty account, and the font settings/sizes are the same. So I guess it's influenced from something outside WMaker...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lost+found
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 508
Location: North~Sea~Coa~s~~t~~~

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multix wrote:
Are you able to run
Code:
xfontsel
?



Code:
# xfontsel
-su: xfontsel: command not found
:)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
multix
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
multix wrote:
Are you able to run
Code:
xfontsel
?



Code:
# xfontsel
-su: xfontsel: command not found
:)


emerge xfontsel

please :) it is a standard X app which always works (like xterm, xedit, xeyes...)
_________________
Unix is user friendly. It is only careful selecting its friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
multix
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:

The only thing I can add, is that I'm using the (older) Gentoo stable versions of fontconfig and xorg-server, wmaker from git `next'. Here WMaker picks Dejavu Sans as default font. Which looks good in my user account, but odd in a new empty account, and the font settings/sizes are the same. So I guess it's influenced from something outside WMaker...


Different font, I use Helvetica which is old NeXT tradition and which used to work and works on other non-gentoo computers...
Do you have the problem with Helvetica? In the preference panel choose Helvetica and look in the preview how the different sizes look: all wrong, always too small.
_________________
Unix is user friendly. It is only careful selecting its friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lost+found
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 508
Location: North~Sea~Coa~s~~t~~~

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multix wrote:
lost+found wrote:

The only thing I can add, is that I'm using the (older) Gentoo stable versions of fontconfig and xorg-server, wmaker from git `next'. Here WMaker picks Dejavu Sans as default font. Which looks good in my user account, but odd in a new empty account, and the font settings/sizes are the same. So I guess it's influenced from something outside WMaker...


Different font, I use Helvetica which is old NeXT tradition and which used to work and works on other non-gentoo computers...
Do you have the problem with Helvetica? In the preference panel choose Helvetica and look in the preview how the different sizes look: all wrong, always too small.


Didn't know Helvetica was used in NeXT. I like the tradition 8) , so I installed media-fonts/font-adobe-75dpi and media-fonts/font-adobe-100dpi, which contain Helvetica.

Now, I see the same problem as with Dejavu Sans: in an empty test account the fonts look too thin. In my own account they are OK, but Adobe Helvetica fonts are not anti-aliased, so they still look ugly.

Then I downloaded the Apple Helvetica.dfont file, converted it with media-gfx/fondu to TTF, and copied the files to /usr/local/share/fonts/helvetica. These fonts look really nice in my user account (anti-aliasing works), but still too thin in an empty test account only.

Back to the size problem. You're right about that. It seems that WPrefs System Font set to Dejavu Sans 11, is comparable to Adobe Helvetica 12 or Apple Helvetica 13. Window Maker sets the default System Font size to 11 in a newly created ~/GNUstep directory. That's way too tiny, when it picks Helvetica to be the Sans Serif font used.

Window Maker default font settings:
Code:
$ grep -r -i font GNUstep
GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL:  SystemFont = "Sans";
GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL:  BoldSystemFont = "Sans:bold";
GNUstep/Defaults/WMGLOBAL:  DefaultFontSize = 11;
GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:  WindowTitleFont = "Sans:bold:pixelsize=12";
GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:  MenuTitleFont = "Sans:bold:pixelsize=12";
GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:  MenuTextFont = "Sans:pixelsize=12";
GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:  IconTitleFont = "Sans:pixelsize=9";
GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:  ClipTitleFont = "Sans:bold:pixelsize=10";
GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:  LargeDisplayFont = "Sans:pixelsize=24";



Update: /usr/share/fonts/helvetica --> /usr/local/share/fonts/helvetica


Last edited by lost+found on Fri May 22, 2015 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lost+found
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 508
Location: North~Sea~Coa~s~~t~~~

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new user account didn't contain ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf and its symlink ~/.fonts.conf. Some application (not Window Maker) must have put it in my main account. It really makes the fonts look better.

Code:
$ cat ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintmedium</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>



(Just discovered our fontconfig wiki...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum