View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: audacity Reply with quote

Curious about getting the recent version of audacity. I have 2.0.5 installed but it doesn't have several options that I'm assuming ffmpeg enables - like being able to slow the tempo down but not change pitch. I assume it is an incompatibility with ffmpeg,, though I'm not sure. I've looked at the bug list and bug # https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=524242 seems to suggest it is being looked at, but I don't really understand what they're talking about there.

I do have some work arounds - I can fire up my virtual machine Windows XP (doesn't seem to work well in my Win 8) and use it there (uggg!) or use VLC which gives incremental slow downs (for learning tunes) but I'm really used to audacity's interface. I could possibly also figure out which previous version worked - looks like it goes back to version 2.0.0 in portage.

Just curious if anyone has 2.0.6 or 2.1 running with ffmpeg support. Thanks, JD
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/FFmpeg_integration, it seems that ffmpeg is used only for import/export, not for pitching/tempo changing.
Audacity uses soundtouch (default) or sbsms (optional) for that (source: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Linux#Optional_Packages_and_Features).
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. Appreciate it. Guess I should have googled around a bit more. /jd
EmaRsk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I have audacity 2.0.5 installed and in the menu there's a "Change tempo" tool which does what you want.
I tried it and it's a bit ugly, maybe recompiling with USE="sbsms -soundtouch" gives better results, but I didn't try that.

mpv is another player that can do that (and I like it a lot more than vlc):
Code:
mpv -af=scaletempo foo.mp3

(without the option, the default behaviour is to keep the pitch when playing faster and to scale it when going slower)
The default bindings are "[" "]" for 10% speed decrease/increase and "{" "}" for half/double speed.

Code:
mplayer -af scaletempo=speed=tempo foo.mp3

does the same.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I did recompile with soundtouch - not sure why it went away from the last versions I had. I can try your other options as well.

I could mark the thread as solved but perhaps it is more for discussion purposes? Is it ffmpeg holding up the 2.1 version (better noise reductions, etc. in that newer version). /jd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: